Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 8th January 2019, 08:57   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Sir , isnít it pushing it too far comparing the 84th air depot with the HAL of today ?

Moreso ,when the aircraft built today by HAL has a mix of Russian and Israeli avionics .
Dear @jraj, the Liberator was comparably complex for 1948 what the Su-30MKI is for today. And HAL of 1948 did a large part of the job without manufacturing drawings making do instead with only maintenance drawings. HAL struggles to assemble and deliver the 24 aircraft a year the IAF wants. 2 machines a month is a very low level of output and even that they struggle with.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 14:44   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Dear @jraj, the Liberator was comparably complex for 1948 what the Su-30MKI is for today. And HAL of 1948 did a large part of the job without manufacturing drawings making do instead with only maintenance drawings. HAL struggles to assemble and deliver the 24 aircraft a year the IAF wants. 2 machines a month is a very low level of output and even that they struggle with.
!!RANT BEGIN!!
That is indeed the difference. The mindset of HAL employees was a completely different one back then to that of the current generation. Having experienced in first hand the attitude and mentality of HAL Sukoi division, I can simply say that they shouldn't be granted the 100 million loan to pay the salaries. Not all are bad but... let me stop here. Better if less said!
!!RANT END!!

An interesting info for youngsters like me is the reason how Navy got its long-range maritime fleet. Does the Navy also coordinate with the AWACS of the Airforce when it is out on patrol? This way a complete network centric warfare can be achieved. The Naval patrols linking info to the AWACS and vice versa and all the information gets back to base for fighters standing by or enroute or the air defence units on ground. It will be a sheer waste of resource if the P-8Is and the AWACS of airforce do not talk to each other.

How many sorties will a Foxbat fly per day usually? Given the 1 hour mission time, how much of a recon work can actually be done? I can imagine the work load on a fully manual flying sortie of any MiG-25 could be! Though a highly stable jet, it must have been a nightmare to fly/navigate and land these during stormy weather conditions with the inertial navigation system. It would be quite strenous for the pilots if they were to be asked to get airborne again during the same day for another mission. Hats off to these brave Officers and ground crew who kept these beautiful machines airworthy.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 8th January 2019 at 14:45.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 12:29   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Not much difference apparently, according to Lockheed Martin.
Israeli Air Force & UAE Air Force F-16s have CFTs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcarsm View Post
The original F16 is still the king in the F16 series. Pakistan has the newer block 52 as well, with more advanced electronics etc.
I believe that even the PAF Block 52 versions will have CFTs.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 13:02   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
! Though a highly stable jet, it must have been a nightmare to fly/navigate and land these during stormy weather conditions with the inertial navigation system..

I would be interested to understand what the inertial navigation system has to do with landing during stormy weather?

I am familiar with inertial navigation systems on commercial jets. But it plays no role during landing.
Thanks
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 13:17   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I would be interested to understand what the inertial navigation system has to do with landing during stormy weather?

I am familiar with inertial navigation systems on commercial jets. But it plays no role during landing.
Thanks
Jeroen
I never said it plays a role in landing. I just said navigating/approach/orienting (should have been more precise) in stormy weather. The "INS" from those days were quite sensitive to thermal changes.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 9th January 2019 at 13:18.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote