Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2020, 11:19   #841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What upgrades will be done to the legacy MiG-29 as part of this exercise?
Locusjag correctly said that the IAF's MiG-29UPG specifications brought the legacy IAF MiG-29s to the Russian MiG-29SMT standards. The MiG-29UPG is similar to the Russian MiG-29SMT variant but differs by having a foreign-made avionics suite The UPG standards The standards includes the new Zhuk-M2E radar, new avionics, a OLS-UEM IRST sensor with the laser, thermal-imaging and television capabilities, as well as new enhanced RD-33 series 3 turbojet engines. The basic weapons suite of the MiG-29UPG is the same as that of the MiG-29SMT and MiG-29K/KUB.

The "known" upgrades to the IAF MiG-29s are
1. Zhuk-ME Radar: The legacy MiG-29's were fitted with the Fitted with the N-019E radar, that was replaced by the Phazatron Zhuk-ME Radar. The radar has a detection range of up to 120 km , and up to 10 targets tracked and up to 4 attacked at once in air-to-air mode. In air-to-surface mode the radar can detect a tank from up to 25 km away and a bridge from 120 km away, a naval ship could be detected up to 300 km away and up to two surface targets can be tracked at once. The radar has a scanning area of +/- 85 degrees in azimuth and +56/-40 degrees in elevation. The antenna is an electronically scanned slotted planar array.

2. Engines : The legacy MiG-29's were powered by two 1970s tech RD-33 engines, which were replaced by RD-33 series 3 engines. The new engines have a longer service life.

3. Fat Dorsal hump : In the further enlarged spine contain additional fuel tanks that provide a maximum flight range of 2,100 km on internal fuel for the MiG-29UPG (Legacy MiG-29s had around 1500 km range).

4. Inflight refuelling Probe : Inflight refuelling probe has been added on the port side near the nose, as a result of which the IAF roundel on the nose had to be painted more towards the nose( in the legacy MiG-29s it was directly beneath the canopy frame.

5. Multi-role capabilities : Legacy MiG-29s had limited multi-role capability and could carry only dumb bombs and rocket pods. The UPG can now carry guided missiles including KH-31s and Kh-35s.

6. Serial numbers: MiG-29UPG have been reserialled in KBUXXXX series, while the legacy MiG-29s had KBXXXX series serial numbers. The U in between obviously refers to the Upgrade. MiG-21 Bisons and MiG-27UPG received similar serial number conventions( CXXXX on the MiG-21 compared to CUXXXX on MiG-21 Bisons, TSXXX on MiG-27s compared to TUXXX on MiG-27UPGs.). Curiously the Mirage 2000s continued with the same KF1XX & KT2XXX series even after upgrades to I/TI standards.

The Director-General of MiG, had said about the MiG-29UPG - "The most advanced is the MiG-29UPG, implemented in India in collaboration with local industry". But clearly the MiG-35 is the most advanced variant of the Fulcrum.

Legacy MiG-29 KB3112:
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-mig29legacy.jpg

MiG-29UPG KBU3123 (921 was some factory test number that was removed before delivery to India):
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-mig29upg_10.jpg

MiG-29UPG with air-launched version of a subsonic anti-ship missile Kh-35E (AS-20 Kayak):
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-kh35.jpg

MiG-29UB UPG. Even the radarless twin seat MiG-29UBs received upgrades (but did not get the hump & radar of the single seat UPG)
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-mig_29upg_03.jpg

INERT Kh-29T TV guided missiles on the MiG-29UB UPG
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-mig_29upg_02.jpg

Russian MiG-29SMT( look how similar it looks to the IAF's MiG-29UPG, including that characteristic hump):
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-smt.jpg

The IAF is apparently very happy with the MiG-29UPGs and is therefore keen on acquiring the 21 offered MiG-29s from Russia(upgraded to UPG standards), but the govt is taking its own sweet time to finalise the deal!!!

Last edited by skanchan95 : 7th January 2020 at 11:37.
skanchan95 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 11:38   #842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
The IAF is apparently very happy with the MiG-29UPGs and is therefore keen on acquiring the 21 offered MiG-29s from Russia(upgraded to UPG standards), but the govt is taking its own sweet time to finalise the deal!!!
The Mig-29 ('Baaz' for the IAF IIRC) has always been my favourite plane since childhood in air superiority area.

Limited range with internal fuel storage, inherent leftward tilt without FBW & the trademark black smoke trails were its main drawbacks. Most of them are well addressed over regular updates and the UPG makes it a formidable package. Taking from air-superiority to air-dominance fighter level in subcontinent theaters for now. Its good weapons load including R73, R77, AtoG munitions & very agile handling make it really fierce.

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest that the Mig-29 fleet remained fairly small in the IAF & over last 15 years the governments and IAF have never been serious about bringing in the MIG-35 (which is somewhere around the UPG and above anyway) to boost numbers. Agreed that the serviceability & available times of the Mig-29 might not be identical to the Rafale. But cost, technology transfer & pretty solid existing infrastructure to maintain those with IAF would have made a good deal overall.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th January 2020 at 11:41.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 11:53   #843
Distinguished - BHPian

I see that one MiG-29 squadron is based in Jamnagar, Gujarat .

The other two, namely the No 223(Tridents) and No 47(Black Archer) are both based in Adampur AFS near Amritsar . I wonder how two squadrons of the same type are based in the same base.
Old 7th January 2020, 15:42   #844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The other two, namely the No 223(Tridents) and No 47(Black Archer) are both based in Adampur AFS near Amritsar . I wonder how two squadrons of the same type are based in the same base.
That's quite common in fact. That means that the aircraft from the same type are required in more numbers to cover the area of responsibility. Amritsar is a very vital base. Very near to the western border & can be key one for eastern one too being near India's neck. This base will scramble and cover for any intrusions & can also carry out immediate retaliatory strikes on urgency if needed.

Its quite common to have multiple squadrons of same type on same base. For example, the Lohegaon AFS in Pune houses the No. 20 (Lightenings) as well as No. 30 (Rhinos) squadrons. Both SU30MKI ones. Similarly, the Bareilly AFS also houses multiple SU30MKI units.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 09:21   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Like Reinhard said, it is a common practice to have multiple squadrons of the same type at an airbase. A squadron is not permanently based at one station for eternity. At times, they are ordered to move and redeploy their assets at another air base. During wartime or for exercises, they split and send detachments to other airbases as per requirements.

No. 47 Squadron, after converting to MiG-29s in the last 80s, were based at Lohegaon AFS in Pune along side Jaguar IS/IM/ITs of No. 6 Sqn. In the late 90sat Lohegaon, No. 24 Sqn was resurrected on the Su-30 to become the first IAF Flanker squadron(Su-30K/MK), followed by No. 20 Sqn( Su-30MKI). No. 47 squadron moved to Jamnagar followed sometime later by No.6 Squadron. When No. 30 Sqn was resurrected at Pune on the Su-30MKI, No. 24 Sqn (still flying the Su-30K/MK then) had to move to another airbase (AFS Bareilly I think).

Besides that, another example is of the Mirage 2000 fleet. I believe all three squadrons of Mirage 2000s are based at Maharajpur AFS in Gwalior.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 8th January 2020 at 09:30.
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 12:17   #846
BHPian

LCA naval variant makes first arrested landing on INS Vikramaditya.

https://www.rt.com/news/478045-india...ditya-landing/

Last edited by aah78 : 12th January 2020 at 22:06. Reason: Link fixed.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:29   #847
BHPian

Naval Variant of LCA makes successful arrested landing and takeoff from elevated deck of INS Vikramaditya.

Around 20 more landings and takeoffs are planned for fine tuning and data gathering. For example the target for arrested landing was second arrestor wire, but third wire was caught by the arrestor hook.

Though it proves the capability to land and takeoff, the plane can't be inducted due to insufficient thrust to take off with full weapons load. This will pave the way for the indigenous fighter plane that can be inducted in navy.

With this India joins a group of select few nations who have the capability to design and produce fighter aircraft that can land on a aircraft carrier war ship.

Country has no dearth of talent, only the right push and direction is required from the governments.

Feeling Proud. Jai Hind

Pic Source: https://twitter.com/indiannavy/statu...76472698609664

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-lcatejastakeoff1.jpg

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-lcatejastakeoff2.jpg

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-lcatejastakeoff3.jpg

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-lcatejastakeoff4.jpg

Last edited by PraNeel : 13th January 2020 at 12:31.
PraNeel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 20:24   #848
BHPian

Posted the video in another thread but here's the take off:

I find the images much clearer though. Makes you realise how petite the LCA is as a platform. Or conversely how chunky most Russian jets tend to be (that being said the MiG29K is the svelte one of the Russian carrier jets - let's not even go towards the behemoth that is Sukhois naval offering..)
ads11 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 16:21   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveryq View Post

Now that India is again seriously looking at procuring the battlefield management radars from Raytheon (ISTAR), it will be an important force addition.

DRDO talking about the Indian ISTAR platform at the DEFEXPO 2020.

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-ep_77etucaa3_qp.jpg

Picture courtesy Livefist Twitter Handle
Maveryq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 23:52   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I also recall hearing from our officers in various articles in the past couple of years that flying vertical right from take-off (thanks to a new and better engine) will now become possible

This is not a new capability. If anything, I think the legacy Fulcrum had better performance do to its lower weight. I remember watching the MiG-29 take off and go vertical - while still inside the length of the runway, back in 1989 during my first visit itself. During a visit to Goa, I was staying near Dabolim and there too I did witness a MiG-29K do a vertical or near-vertical climb just after take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
3. Fat Dorsal hump : In the further enlarged spine contain additional fuel tanks that provide a maximum flight range of 2,100 km on internal fuel for the MiG-29UPG (Legacy MiG-29s had around 1500 km range).
Range on internal fuel has always been a hazy thing. From what I recall, the MiG-29S/SM/SMT Fulcrum C (9.12b?) gained only some 350-400 liters up from the original 4365 liters, totaling about 4740 liters internally. It was with the deletion of the dorsal louvre intakes in the MiG-29M gained an additional 400-600 liters, ending with 5100-5300 liters internal capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhard View Post
Agreed that the serviceability & available times of the Mig-29 might not be identical to the Rafale
I chanced upon a news report in French, citing a rather disappointing availability rate for the Rafale , in armée de l'air service at that. At just 47.7% , this is even lower than Su-30MKI that the IAF lamented for having low availability rates.Notably, the C-130 too is rated as very poor , surprisingly since the C-130 is famous for being reliable and rugged. I can't find the original article now but I did save the image from that page.
Attached Thumbnails
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-french_air_force_fligth_availiability.jpg  

Last edited by Ricci : 16th February 2020 at 00:07.
Ricci is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 19:21   #851
BHPian

I chanced upon a news report in French, citing a rather disappointing availability rate for the Rafale , in armée de l'air service at that. At just 47.7% , this is even lower than Su-30MKI that the IAF lamented for having low availability rates.Notably, the C-130 too is rated as very poor , surprisingly since the C-130 is famous for being reliable and rugged. I can't find the original article now but I did save the image from that page.[/quote]

Sir, as seen in the image, this data is from 2014, and I am assuming it must have improved by now, especially since IIRC, the contract for the Rafales for the IAF specifies atleast 75% mission availability for our fleet, and it was one of the reasons for cost escalation.

Also from what I have read on the internet, defence commentators have praised the Rafale for stupendous mission availability during the ISIS bombing missions.
Old 16th February 2020, 21:18   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I chanced upon a news report in French, citing a rather disappointing availability rate for the Rafale , in armée de l'air service at that. At just 47.7% , this is even lower than Su-30MKI that the IAF lamented for having low availability rates.Notably, the C-130 too is rated as very poor , surprisingly since the C-130 is famous for being reliable and rugged. I can't find the original article now but I did save the image from that page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPriyankT View Post
Also from what I have read on the internet, defence commentators have praised the Rafale for stupendous mission availability during the ISIS bombing missions.
A lot depends on both how you define Availability and how you Measure it. Availability & MTBO statistics are prone to gross variation depending on who is measuring, how and why he is measuring - other than for civilian airliners figures are stretched. I find the figures very hard to believe for both the Rafale and Mirage 2000. While it may be in french literature we don't know the details or the intent of the author. For example in my experience (I mean experience not readings) American and British overstate both their Availability generously. I am referring here to civilian aircraft. With military machines it is worse. For example Western literature always talks of the poor MTBO of say Russian helicopters e.g. Mi-17 or Mi-8 or Ka-25. Yes in the strict definition of MTBO that is true. But what they don't mention ever is that between the MTBO the Russian machines need almost no maintenance at all while the equivalent Western machines need a lot of love and care between the MTBO. Numbers alone don't say everything. Please share any details behind the chart if available.

Generally speaking Dassault & Aerospatiale machines are famous for outstanding Availability. We saw/see it with Alouette III, Cheetah, Alize, Mirage 2000, Mystere IV. In the civilian arena I saw it with Dassault's range of business jets.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 16th February 2020 at 21:21.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 10:58   #853
BHPian

Can anybody please help identify the equipment located near the fuselage of the Tejas?

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-eq8wmg1uwaakwr_.jpg
Old 17th February 2020, 11:13   #854
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveryq View Post
Can anybody please help identify the equipment located near the fuselage of the Tejas?
That's an Israeli made LITENING pod.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litening

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-1200pxlitening_pod_on_fa18.jpg
SmartCat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 14:37   #855
PGA
BHPian

Trying to add to what already has been discussed in the thread, figures of aircraft availability are never given out by professional forces. It's a secret data. Such media stories are figment of informed/uninformed knowledge usually picked up from accounts auditing agencies. It's not only dated but also reveals close to zilch in meaning.

To infer and attribute reliability to equipment based on availability figures is also incorrect in the field of military aviation, as brought out by Narayan Sir, availability first needs to be defined. For eg a theoretical case can be that I have 99 percent availability of equipment in a year but may still have zero percent mission availability as on that day it is due for a calender life repairs.

To a great extent availability is a function of resources and no power on earth has infinite of these so there are fluctuations in availability qualitatively and quantitatively.

Last edited by PGA : 17th February 2020 at 14:53.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed