Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2017, 22:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Sorry to correct you. Artem Mikoyan and Mikhail Gurevich were the two partners of the MiG Bureau.
Thank you for the correction Mr Narayan - one learns every day! I knew only the helicopter Mikhail.
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 10:11   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I guess there is a link between aerodynamics and 'beauty'. So now I know by USAF chose Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning instead of Boeing's offering -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-32
That brings back fond memories of playing the somewhat dark & eerie PC flight simulator "Joint Strike Fighter", where the X-32 & X-35(which later became F-35) were flyable fighters.
The sim was ahead of its time and I still have the CD somewhere but it is no longer playable because of compatibility issues with Windows 10.
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-jsf_promo_01.jpg
Name:  pc6052481460039867.png
Views: 2959
Size:  107.9 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Some pics of the French beauty for your viewing pleasure

pics are courtesy Dassault Aviation

If she looks good - she flies well
One interesting little trivia here is unlike the IAF's upgraded MiG-21s, 27s and 29s, the upgraded Mirage 2000s retained the same aircraft serial number format(KFXXX & KTXXX series).

When,
1) MiG-21bis got upgraded to Bison standards, the serial no. format changed from CXXXX to CUXXXX.
2) MiG-27M got upgraded to MiG-27UPG standards, the serial no. format changed from TSXXX to TUXXXX.
3) MiG-29B/UB got upgraded to MiG-29UPG standards, the serial no. format changed from KBXXXX to KBUXXXX for the fighter variants and KSXXXX to KSUXXXX.

Upgraded Jaguars too retained the same serial number format (JSXXX/JTXXX/JMXXX).

*X stands for numerals in the serial number format.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 8th April 2017 at 10:29. Reason: Added additional information.
skanchan95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 08:21   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post

One interesting little trivia here is unlike the IAF's upgraded MiG-21s, 27s and 29s, the upgraded Mirage 2000s retained the same aircraft serial number format(KFXXX & KTXXX series).

When,
1) MiG-21bis got upgraded to Bison standards, the serial no. format changed from CXXXX to CUXXXX.
2) MiG-27M got upgraded to MiG-27UPG standards, the serial no. format changed from TSXXX to TUXXXX.
3) MiG-29B/UB got upgraded to MiG-29UPG standards, the serial no. format changed from KBXXXX to KBUXXXX for the fighter variants and KSXXXX to KSUXXXX.

Upgraded Jaguars too retained the same serial number format (JSXXX/JTXXX/JMXXX).

*X stands for numerals in the serial number format.
Very interesting trivia - wasnt aware of this

Also if I recall correctly - the MiG-21 'BISON' got its name from Son of Bis - as it was based on the MiG-21 BIS.

For MiG fans - this book is a must read
http://www.amazon.in/Red-Eagles-Amer.../dp/1846039703
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 09:18   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That brings back fond memories of playing the somewhat dark & eerie PC flight simulator "Joint Strike Fighter", where the X-32 & X-35(which later became F-35) were flyable fighters
Fond memories! If modern aircrafts' flight controls are replaced with keyboard/ mouse, I think I could then fly most of the fighter aircraft I was an expert at landing aircraft too, which others couldn't. Other than JSF, a few other 1990's flight sims -

F117 Nighthawk

LHX -

F29 Retaliator -

Red Baron (WWI flight sim)

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th April 2017 at 09:24.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 09:23   #125
BHPian

Those were the good old days when one flew by seat of pants and mouse and keyboard
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 10:41   #126
Senior - BHPian

Indian Navy is looking at buying Canadian Armed Forces CH-124 Sea King helicopters:
To fill urgent Indian Navy need, Centre eyes Canada’s used Sea King helicopters
Quote:
To meet the urgent helicopter requirement of the Indian Navy, India is expected to discuss acquiring Sea King CH-124 helicopters during the coming visit of Canada’s defence minister Harjit Sajjan. Speaking to FE on condition of anonymity, sources said: “At this time Canada is in the process of decommissioning four of its Sea King CH-124 helicopters. These four have very little hours of flying logged in, and four that were decommissioned last December were recently upgraded.” The helicopters, though being decommissioned, are still in condition of being flown.
“The Indian Navy has Sea King helicopters that have reached the end of their lives and are constantly being upgraded. The Indian side is likely to talk about these machines as these could bridge the gap and to support the depleting Indian Navy fleet as the acquisition process for new helicopters is not making any headway,” they added. Several procurement processes under various categories of helicopters, naval utility, multi-role helicopter (MRH), naval multi-role helicopter (NMRH), are all stuck due to re tendering or blacklisting of AgustaWestland.
Price negotiations for 16 MRHs with Sikorsky S-70B multi-role helicopters were stuck initially due to difference in base pricing and later the company was taken over by Lockheed Martin, which has further complicated things. Officials said that this deal will also guide the process for procurement of the much larger deal 126 NMRHs. The tender for over 100 NUHs was reissued last year but the shadow of AgustaWestland threatens it. The depleting fleet of the Indian Navy search & rescue helicopters — AW Sea Kings and the Sikorsky UH-3H — are both lined up for the life extension. Every major warship is earmarked to carry at least two helicopters on board to be deployed in various roles. But the last multi-role helicopter to join the fleet was two decades ago.
However, replacements for these are yet come. The Indian Navy needs over 100 MRHs to be positioned on board its most important warships; however it has just about two dozen operational helicopters. These helicopters play a critical role of hunting submarines, taking on threats like enemy ships and sending early warnings about incoming aircraft and missiles to the fleet.
Quote:
Very interesting trivia - wasnt aware of this
Also if I recall correctly - the MiG-21 'BISON' got its name from Son of Bis - as it was based on the MiG-21 BIS.
Yes, Son of a bis!!! it was.
Thought not to the scale of Bison upgrade, a few MiG-21M/MFs of 35 Sqdn got a minor upgrade(EW gear only, in the tail fin)

I used to keenly observe the serial numbers and camo patterns for the aircraft mods I did for the sim Strike Fighters 2 and that is the reason for knowing IAF and IN serial number patterns.
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-img00025.jpg

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-img00032.jpg

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-img00052.jpg

Quote:
Those were the good old days when one flew by seat of pants and mouse and keyboard
Yeah those were the days flight sims were fun to fly and were available in many different titles. It is now a dying genre sadly.

Quote:
Fond memories! If modern aircrafts' flight controls are replaced with keyboard/ mouse, I think I could then fly most of the fighter aircraft I was an expert at landing aircraft too, which others couldn't.
I sucked at landing with the keyboard and I would invariably end up crashing on the runway after pitching down just before touchdown.

Try using a keyboard now in FSX, Falcon 4 BMS or X-plane 10/11 . It is nearly impossible without a flight controller.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 11th April 2017 at 10:52.
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 17:15   #127
BHPian

Quote:

I used to keenly observe the serial numbers and camo patterns for the aircraft mods I did for the sim Strike Fighters 2 and that is the reason for knowing IAF and IN serial number patterns.
We certainly did fly some great aircraft!
The Navy recently retired its Tu-142 maritime patrol aircraft - what a beast of a plane.

Never got to see it fly in real and life and missed the chance to attend and see it fly during the retirement ceremonies.

The Tupolev TU-142ME was aptly named ‘Albatross’ by the Navy.

Boeing's P-8I now undertakes the Navy's maritime patrol aircraft role along with the smaller Dornier Do-228s.

This is what the Navy said after the final flight of the TU-142M aircraft.

Served the Indian Navy with pride and élan for 29 years, during which it accomplished 30,000 hrs of accident free flying, the TU-142M aircraft were given a befitting farewell on 29 March 2017 at INS Rajali, India’s premiere Naval Air Station in Arakkonam, Tamil Nadu.

The TU-142M has taken part in all major exercises and operations including Operation Cactus in Maldives, Op Vijay in 1998, Op Parakram in 2002 and Anti-piracy Operations.

The Squadron was awarded Unit Citation by the Chief of Naval Staff in the year 2002 for outstanding professionalism and momentous contribution to the Service and adjudged the Best Frontline Squadron on numerous occasions over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-tu142me_26.jpg  

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-tu142me_74.jpg  

Redline6800 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 17:21   #128
BHPian

More pics of the aircraft and crew.

Luckily - the aircraft will be displayed at some of military museums - so that's fantastic.

Pics are courtesy the Indian Navy.

India was the only country outside the erstwhile Soviet Union that the Tu-142 was exported to.

Interestingly, India was the first export customer for the Boeing P-8I - even before staunch American allies like the UK and Australia !
Attached Thumbnails
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-c7qsmjfuwaehxps.jpg  

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-c7qztpvvyaadsh0.jpg  

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-c7qztqmvsamesq.jpg  

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-c7rcb9vmaa5dp3.jpg  

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-i20174801.jpg  

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-i20174803.jpg  

Redline6800 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 14:19   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never got to see it fly in real and life and missed the chance to attend and see it fly during the retirement ceremonies.
I saw it overflying Mangalore, probably 5-6 months ago, at medium altitude heading east to west to the sea.

It was quite loud and from its silhouette , pencil shaped fuselage , swept back wings and hum of those turboprops, I could make out that it was Bear. I was pretty excited that day.

A cold war icon like the Bear served with Navy and there was nothing in the neighborhood that was as capable as the Bear - Neighbour's Envy, Owner's Pride!!!
Old 6th May 2017, 10:39   #130
Team-BHP Support

This is interesting - an attachment that makes a stealthy aircraft non-stealthy - Luneberg Reflectors.

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-screen-shot-20170505-31745-pm.png

This strange mod to the F-35 kills its stealth near Russian defenses - and there's good reason for that
http://www.businessinsider.in/This-s...w/58542176.cms
Old 13th May 2017, 00:47   #131
Team-BHP Support

LCA Tejas successfully test fires beyond visual range missile
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/58648319.cms

Quote:

The test-firing was conducted on a manoeuvrable aerial target at the interim test range in Chandipur in Odisha. The defence ministry said the objective of the test was to assess integration of the Derby BVR missile with avionics, fire-control radar, launchers and missile weapon delivery system of Tejas.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 22:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
LCA Tejas successfully test fires beyond visual range missile
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/58648319.cms
Here is an official video of Tejas firing the Derby missile. Bravo to our engineers and scientists. This is also an important milestone towards FOC (Final Operation Clearance) to fire BVR missiles.

Last edited by PraNeel : 13th May 2017 at 22:42.
PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 14:02   #133
Team-BHP Support

Army demands its own 'Mini Air Force' to target enemy infantry and tanks
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/58760649.cms

Quote:
The Army has now strongly revived its old quest for a "mini air force" of its own, in a move that has been bitterly opposed by the IAF in the past.

The force wants three squadrons of heavy-duty attack helicopters, among other choppers, for its three primary "strike" corps geared for rapid armoured thrusts into enemy territory.
If Govt goes ahead with this, then it will be extremely poor allocation of resources. What the Army needs is Artillery and better infantry equipment, rather than flying toys. The 'imaginary' need for striking enemy tanks with helicopters can be met with better co-ordination with the Air Force.
Old 23rd May 2017, 13:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Army demands its own 'Mini Air Force' to target enemy infantry and tanks

If Govt goes ahead with this, then it will be extremely poor allocation of resources. What the Army needs is Artillery and better infantry equipment, rather than flying toys. The 'imaginary' need for striking enemy tanks with helicopters can be met with better co-ordination with the Air Force.
I agree. What's the point of having dedicated attack helicopters with Army Aviation & Air Force?

In all other major modern air arms, the control of attack helicopters is with either the Air Force or the Army, not both.

US - Apaches - Army
US - Cobras - Marines
UK - Apaches - Army
Israel - Apaches/Cobras - Air Force
Greece - Apache - Air Force
Netherlands - Apache - Air Force
Australia - Eurocopter Tiger - Army
Russia - Mi-24, Mi-28, Ka-50, Ka-52 - Air Force
Saudi Arabia - Apache - Army

Would be pretty stupid of the govt to give the go ahead to something like this.

Indian Army Aviation already operates Rudra in the CAS role. Adding the Apache would be overkill. May be they wish to have their own offensive air arm, like the US Marines.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 13:57   #135
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly Combat Aircraft

I did not see any mention of good old HS748 Avro (may be I missed it).

Thought it would be now history even with IAF, but I was wrong. Recently saw two of them in a state of operational readiness in a Civil Airport/AF Base.

Thought they should have a mention here and hence the pic below

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-img_5536a.jpg

Going by the number of windows on them, both seem to be configured for different duties. I am sure experts here can give us some history of their role in IAF

Best Regards & Drive/Ride/Fly Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks