Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2020, 18:33   #1291
BHPian

Re: Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
If so, the A319 or A320 might end up having a fixed radar antenna like what Boeing did on the E-7(which is based on a Boeing 737-700 airframe) or Embraer did on our own Netras(ERJ-145).
Looks like your analysis was correct

DRDO Cleared To Convert 6 Air India A320s Into IAF AEW Jets

Six Airbus A320 airliners operated by India’s national carrier Air India will be modified, integrated with sensors and delivered to the Indian Air Force as new airborne early warning & control (AEW&C) aircraft as part of a new plan cleared today. The Ministry of Defence today approved a Rs 10,500 crore (Rs 1.4 billion) program in which India’s Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO) will integrate radars and sensor on six Airbus A320 commercial airliners from national carrier Air India’s current fleet. The six aircraft are to be sent to France, where they will be refurbished and modified to Indian Air Force/DRDO specifications.

Link: https://www.livefistdefence.com/2020...-aew-jets.html
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 19:12   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invariance View Post
As for the M88, it was never really in the running as it was less powerful and more maintenance intensive than the existing F404s in the Tejas.
Does that mean the Rafale is more maintenance intensive and less mission ready than the Tejas? Good joke.
Old 17th December 2020, 20:54   #1293
BHPian

Gettting 6 AI crafts seems like a good call. Using existing resources should be priority. Also loking at past history of IAF using AI crafts, they seem to know what they are doing. Obviously some cost benefit analysis must have been done. If by doing this if we can achieve 80% of the objective and save a few lakh crores of tax payers money than I welcome this decison. Just my views.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 21:42   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Looks like your analysis was correct

The six aircraft are to be sent to France, where they will be refurbished and modified to Indian Air Force/DRDO specifications.
That's because I vaguely remember seeing artwork of the proposed A319 MPA in IN colors long way back when there was talk of replacing the Tu-142s with a western MPA( the P-8 was eventually selected). At around the same time, an AEW variant of the A319 was proposed with a fixed radar antenna like the E-7. I even remember seeing an artwork of that A319 AEW equipped with a refuelling probe.

Perhaps Airbus proposed the same concept in a concrete manner to India and may be Airbus have plans in place to quickly convert and integrate relevant systems for an A320 AWACS. If so, we could well become the first operator of an A320 AWACS. I hope the newer NEOs are selected from the AI fleet for the conversions.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 17th December 2020 at 21:45.
skanchan95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 22:03   #1295
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^^^
With reference to the A320s being used to serve as an AWACS platform. Just my opinion -- A 30 year old aircraft is not really ever 30-years old except the fuselage & wings which if maintained well could keep flying for another 20 years literally. If the engines and landing gears have gone through all their maintenance routines and part replacements the machine is good to go for another 2 decades or as in the case of the venerable B-52H another 3 decades. The engines and landing gears take the most wear and tear and are always overhauled on time. The electronics need little maintenance except repair by replacement and the cabling/piping, while it looks messy when opened up, can all be replaced. So to get these six A320s good for say 1200 hours of flying a year for 20 years is not a problem. In the UK we used to do work on RAF VC10 tankers and towards the end they were all north of 45 years of age and still looking so graceful. Given that these are not fighters and will do gentle flying of 25 to 30 hours a week the airframe is metaphorically speaking indestructible especially with microscopic checks for fatigue cracks.
V.Narayan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 09:25   #1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Does that mean the Rafale is more maintenance intensive and less mission ready than the Tejas? Good joke.
You're conflating two different issues. If aircraft A has a higher cost of engine maintenance than aircraft B, it doesn't mean that A is automatically less mission ready than B.

More to the point, the M88 engine is a more complex design than the F404. Snecma designed it to be easy to remove and replace. It is also extensively modular, so specific components that can be swapped out easily. All of these make it an excellent engine with great reliability... but one that is also quite labor intensive and expensive to maintain.

The F404, by comparison, has fewer modular parts, is not as easy to swap, and requires more checks per 1000 flight hours than the M88-2. But it is a less complex engine, and it ischeaper and certainly easier to maintain than the more advance M88.
Invariance is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 19:07   #1297
Distinguished - BHPian

I am no expert on the M88-2 versus F404 hence my genuine questions to your post below as both engines especially the M88-2 interest me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invariance View Post
More to the point, the M88 engine is a more complex design than the F404.
What specifically makes it so? The F404 has 12 stages in all and the M88-2 has 11 stages in all - not much difference there. Both have a fully variable afterburner. The F404 is a proper afterburning turbofan which makes it more complex than the M88-2 which is really a low bypass ratio after burning turbojet {better for an interceptor I would say}. Always happy to learn more.
Quote:
Snecma designed it to be easy to remove and replace. It is also extensively modular, so specific components that can be swapped out easily. All of these make it an excellent engine with great reliability... but one that is also quite labor intensive and expensive to maintain.
It is the modules that are swapped in and out and not the individual components. I assume you meant modules. Repair or replacement of the components within the module would then take place in an engine overhaul workshop behind the frontlines. Modular design actually makes front line maintenance simpler and faster. Why do you say the M88-2 is more labour intensive and harder to maintain. Would be happy to be directed to some sites that share this analysis.
Quote:
The F404, by comparison, has fewer modular parts, is not as easy to swap, and requires more checks per 1000 flight hours than the M88-2. But it is a less complex engine, and it ischeaper and certainly easier to maintain than the more advance M88.
Less modular, requires more checks per 1000 hours usually points to being more expensive and effort heavy to maintain.

Between successful Western engine designs usually now, as jet engine technology has matured, the difference in maintenance effort is not so vast anymore mainly driven by (a) modular design (b) direct access, ease of access (c) quality of materials and metallurgy. Between a Western and Russian (really Soviet) design yes, in engines, you could have significantly different maintenance efforts & design approaches {Soviet era engines had shorter MTBO and required very little, looking after in between. Western designs have longer MTBO and need some love and care in between}

Maintenance effort on the line in an engine is more in opening up, accessing the area, diagnosing the problem. Time to replace is usually much less compared to the first three. Repair of individual components by repair or replacement has to be done by hand in the workshop with a lot of tests. Once in the rear workshop a turbine blade is a blade is a blade - it does not matter which engine it came off from - repair takes the same time & effort.

Eager to hear from you.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 22:55   #1298
Team-BHP Support

wow! Former Air Chief BS Dhanoa is quite dismissive of PLA/PLAAF's capabilities:
https://indianexpress.com/article/in...-army-7110427/

Quote:

- A classic case of ‘Haathi ke daant khaneke aur, dikhane ke aur’ because many capabilities of China were in the experimental domain

- People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) had sketchy air battle experience which was restricted to bombing operations in the Korean war. But due to PLAAF’s frequent exercise with Pakistan and Turkey, it is moving ahead of archaic Soviet tactics

- In fighter operations, you have to have deployments where airfields mutually support each other. Airfields are far away in Tibet from each other, in some cases around 400 km. This reduces loiter time for the aircraft, reduces fuel capacity if you have to divert. Our bases are within 100 km of each other in comparison and we can distribute our assets more easily.

- PLA military doctrine depends a lot on missiles and artillery, which is old Soviet theory.

- Everybody wants to quote Azerbaijan, Armenia conflict examples for drones but neither of them had integrated air defence system. Small drones in swarms will complicate things a bit but will they be deployed in the Himalayas is a big question. Survival of large drones in other than ISR role is a big question

- IAF has qualitative edge over PLAAF in several areas with network centric capability in air operations and inter theatre mobility among them.

- Unlike 1962 when thousands of Chinese troops swarmed down from slopes, this time around no such thing will happen as every thrust will be met with friction on the ground.

- While the deployment of Surface to Air Missiles by China is at a massive level in Ladakh, yet these too had limitation due to the line of sight problem in mountains. The S400 may be long-range but you cannot achieve that in mountains. The universal way is to fly at low level and you will be out of their envelope. We need to get out of the myth that the Chinese are ten feet tall

Last edited by SmartCat : 18th December 2020 at 22:57.
SmartCat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 20:39   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Pretty intrigued by this ever since I heard about it. My initial thought was maybe this was part of asset stripping Air India before an inevitable sale. I could see the logic behind using the AI bound 777s and redirect them towards the presidential airlift requirement but this seems like it's from the same brain trust.

Found some interesting points brought up in this article, emphasis mine:

Quote:
While the A320 might be a cheaper airframe option, modifying it with a DRDO radar will not be without challenges, bearing in mind integration on this particular airframe has never been done before. Indian defense media outlet Livefist reports that the ex-commercial A320s will be prepared by Airbus in France before being fitted with a dorsal antenna system, derived from that found on the EMB-145. In contrast, the A330 AEW&C would have used a mast-mounted rotodome, like the A-50.

Another downside of the planned A320-based solution is that it introduces a third airframe to the country’s AEW&C fleet, adding yet more challenges to maintaining and operating what is already a highly diverse IAF inventory. On the other hand, the A320 is in widespread service around the globe, meaning that parts are widely available and it could be cheaper to fly in the long run.
It is notable that both these friction points [Kashmir & Ladakh] involve extremely mountainous terrain in which ground-based radar is less effective, typically being unable to detect low-flying aircraft or cruise missiles. In these kinds of environments, an AEW&C aircraft is more or less essential to manage modern tactical air operations and defending one's airspace.

With twin challenges provided by China and Pakistan, Indian defense planners have reportedly identified a requirement for at least 10 AEW&C aircraft, and the A320 AEW&C might be a relatively quick, and affordable way of achieving this target.
Simply looking at the numbers, the original deal would've got 2 off the shelf A330 based AWACs, and that's a platform that doesn't have a proven AWAC variant as yet with no European orders for it that I know of. Similarly I don't think anyone has attempted an A320 based AWAC. But the upside is clear if DRDO manage this, India would end up with 3 times the airframes for the AWAC mission which can only be a good thing for the situational awareness along the frontier areas. The A320 family also looks like serving for quite a while yet (I take it these are the CEO variants?), and with India's largest airline, IndiGo, nearly exclusively operating from the A320 family, I can't see why there can't be a robust A320 spares, ancillaries and servicing industry set up already in India or in the near future (perhaps V.Narayan can confirm if there already exists such a set up - can't see why not given the easy business from IndiGo). What I'm leading on to is that for once, the IAF could piggyback on top of such a readily available and well supported spares network for one of their fleet aircraft, especially considering an IAF A320 AWAC would be adding yet another logistics and maintenance tail to the likely fractal network of the existing fleet..

I just really hope DRDO can get their head down and deliver on this one. I for one am glad this seems to hopefully kill the barmy idea to shoehorn an aerial refuelling requirement onto the AWAC airframe. Even if it isn't offering the full 360 degree coverage you'd get from a rotating radome, dorsally mounted systems that work on the smaller Phalcons at least give a starting point for these A320s that could work down the line. Plus with 6 airframes, even if each only has let's say 240 degrees of coverage each, you could just hope to surge more of them in interlocking flight patterns that ultimately give that whole spectrum coverage whilst also giving contingency in a battle scenario because the opponent now has multiple AWACs to track.
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:28   #1300
BHPian

Controversial opinion here - I believe the stand-off with China is possibly the best thing to happen to the Indian Armed Forces - especially the Navy and the Air Force (offcourse, nothing is worth the 20 precious lives that were martyred).

Let me explain, till 2019:

1) The Air Force was left neglected and lurching for new equipment as equipment which should've been introduced a decade ago were (and are) still stuck in South Block's bureaucracy including but not limited to the MRCA, AWACs, Mid-air refuelers and smaller transport planes (the C295 contract still hasn't been signed). Lets keep in mind, despite the upgrades, even the relatively newer jets (compared to the Jaguars and Mig-21s atleast) like the Mirage-2000 and the Mig-29s will need replacement in the 2030s while the first lot of retired aircraft (Mig-23s, 27s and some 21s) still hasn't been sufficiently replaced. Some gaps have thankfully been filled like the lack of attack helicopters (which was crucial).

2) The Navy, while more successful due to it's impressive strides in becoming a builder's Navy still lacks key components such as sufficient submarines, sufficient rotary wing ASW units (which is being rectified with the MH-60R purchase) and crucially minesweepers of while the Indian Navy has none.

3) The Army despite getting the lion's share of the budget has its own issues - something as basic as guns couldn't be produced locally and the AK-203 factory is still not operational. Also, while the Indian Army has sufficient T-90 tanks, there is not a lot of chatter on a new-gen design especially to replace the T-72s with the flip-flop between a Arjun based tank, a new platform, get the Arjun mark 1As or get the T-14 Armata.

Now with the China stand-off, the armed forces have really become innovative where they have gone ahead with purchasing used equipment (Mig-29s, A320s), leasing key equipment (the predators, refuelers), emergency purchases (Sigs) etc instead of waiting for brand new equipment. Offcourse, emergency purchases cost more which is a strain given the state of the Indian Economy but all these upgrades should make the Indian Armed Forces much stronger as it heads into the 2030s if this push is sustained (similar to how upgrades in the 60s made the armed forces formidable in 1971). Perhaps we should send a thank-you letter Mr. Xi for finally opening the eyes of the folks at South Block

Last edited by dragracer567 : 22nd December 2020 at 10:30.
dragracer567 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:08   #1301
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I am no expert on the M88-2 versus F404 hence my genuine questions to your post below as both engines especially the M88-2 interest me.

It is the modules that are swapped in and out and not the individual components.

Less modular, requires more checks per 1000 hours usually points to being more expensive and effort heavy to maintain.

Between successful Western engine designs usually now, as jet engine technology has matured, the difference in maintenance effort is not so vast anymore mainly driven by (a) modular design (b) direct access, ease of access (c) quality of materials and metallurgy. Between a Western and Russian (really Soviet) design yes, in engines, you could have significantly different maintenance efforts & design approaches {Soviet era engines had shorter MTBO and required very little, looking after in between. Western designs have longer MTBO and need some love and care in between}

Maintenance effort ..........

Eager to hear from you.
While I too await the reply, chipping in after scratching some grey cells as the subject was my line some years ago.

Quite bang on when we say Russian engines need very low maintenance between the TBO except for cleaning of filters and once in a while some parameter tinkering, western engines have a heavier maint load at IInd line as some module changes are catered within the capability of IInd line.

But only a weak majority of Russian engines last their full TBO on the aircraft, they need visit to the repair facility (Fourth Line/D level) and some come back with residual lives. So we need to have much higher inventory level of spare engines to cater for repair and transit. You can make do with much smaller inventory for modular engines, as one engine can serve so many modules.

Some years ago did some work on maintainability of GE F414 vis a vis M53. Since IAF had been operating modular M53 for some years and we realised that maintenance effort was getting heavier on the modular engines especially at Ist and IInd line which is the operational level. The cause was flexibility of modular changes, after few years of use, some engines ended up having 12 different lives, one for each module. So the engines had to be replaced at the front line repeatedly to cater for servicing of one module or the other. M53 has a core module which has a TBO and TTL and all other modules take their lives from this core module. F 414 doesn't have a core module and with every repair module gets its full TBO, so the engine as such doesn't have a TBO. (* Dated info may have undergone some change now, M88 may be fully modular)

So we see both have its pros and cons, depends what suits us the best in which circumstance. Much finesse and sophistication is required to service western origin engines as compared to Russians, I remember how we struggled to machine to correct tolerances M53 modules as compared to R 29s at the same facility. The cause was attributed high heat and dust of the sub continent.

Maintenance effort is also dependent on area/conditions of operation, OEMs generally tend to recommend higher effort in sub continental conditions for obvious and not so obvious reasons.
PGA is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 00:26   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Controversial opinion here - I believe the stand-off with China is possibly the best thing to happen to the Indian Armed Forces - especially the Navy and the Air Force (offcourse, nothing is worth the 20 precious lives that were martyred).

Let me explain, till 2019:
I agree completely.

The cringe-worthy charm offensive the government was conducting earlier in order to get into Xi's good books was simply turning a blind eye to the real threats faced from china.

Trade deficit, production dumping, import dependence all this without taking into account the growing gap in defensive capabilities or the salami slicing border diplomacy.

The stand off put an end to the fake notion of everything was hunky dory on the India China front. The nation finally woke up to the real threats faced. The one huge negative is that we paid a very high price of 20 young lives for this wake up call.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 19:10   #1303
BHPian

Came across this funny meme and couldn’t stop myself from sharing.

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-905eed1ae48d47d88b651be703088ad5.jpeg
vikasshu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 01:12   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
With reference to the A320s being used to serve as an AWACS platform
Looks like the RAF are using a second hand 737 BBJ that was once part of a Chinese carrier's fleet for its E-7 Wedgetail AWACS order, or at least the early jets (REF). It's part of their plan to speed up their 5 jet acquisition without having to wait for a slot on the Boeing order book.

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-rafe7wedgetailaew1topshotcopyscaled.jpg

I just posted this because I find it interesting the use of a former civilian airframe for an AWACS platform, so soon after the recent round of discussion over the IAF plan to make do with the A320s. The E-7 is particularly interesting though because it presents a route India could just as easily have gone. Based on the 737 NG platform, it would basically have the same logistics and maintenance tail as the P-8I's in the Indian fleet. Commonality being that most rarest of creatures in the Indian defence apparatus. Looks like that commonality is what drew the cash strapped Brits, as they finally have their own P-8s and rebuild their AWAC capability. I believe the Aussies also have the E-7 Wedgetail in the RAAF fleet meaning a hypothetical IAF E-7 would play well in exercises with the Australians alongside both sides P-8s for example.

On a similar note I wonder if India could be bold in taking advantage of some of the spare parts from the RAF's Sentry AWACs that they're flogging (REF).

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-messageeditor_1608742479574rafsentinelr1_1.jpg

Quote:
The axe has finally fallen on the United Kingdom’s unloved Sentinel R1 radar planes after the government announced plans to sell them. Any potential customers should be aware, however, that the five aircraft — which are based on the Bombardier Global Express business jet airframe — are only being offered in the form of spare parts.

The aircraft, which are yet to be formally withdrawn, entered service in 2007 and began flying operationally over Afghanistan the following year. In the past, The War Zone looked in detail at the U.K. Royal Air Force (RAF) Sentinel R1, the capabilities of which suggested that it might have been possible to find a buyer interested in taking the aircraft as complete systems and putting them back into service. Instead, the aircraft will now be dismantled to harvest reusable parts.
Given Boris Johnson is still to travel to India for Republic Day from what I recall, and is always eager to tout some new deal for the (at last) Brexit-ed Britain, perhaps a deal could be done for some of those parts at least. I'm just spit balling really but 13yo airframes, however much use they saw, surely the kit should have plenty of life left in it. Maybe it could be an excellent chance to get the AESA systems on the cheap. It's not like the current plan doesn't already involve a lot of retrofitting by DRDO onto the A320 airframe.

I mean just quoting the article there's a lot about the Sentinel's capability that jives with what India is after:
Quote:
These aircraft provide unique intelligence by keeping track of moving vehicles and taking highly detailed synthetic aperture radar “pictures” or “maps” of the battlefield. They can do this at standoff ranges and over huge swathes of the Earth’s surface. They have secondary overwater maritime surveillance and low and slow flying target tracking capabilities, as well. Their data can be used in real-time to inform and reposition ground forces, or to order attacks on enemy columns, or to divert tactical reconnaissance aircraft, such as MQ-9 drones or MC-12s, to take a closer look at a certain area using their electro-optical or tactical GMTI radar systems.
  • Real time ISR and battlefield pictures from standoff ranges - yes please from the IAF
  • Maritime capability at a push - why not from the IN
  • Plays well with US drones like the Reaper - well isn't that handy given the recently leased Indian badged ones

I guess where I'm coming from with this is that I remember the last big defence review the Brits did and how they flogged their entire Harrier fleet at an absolute pittance, something the USMC gleefully picked up. I remember thinking then that India could've easily picked up those Harriers and bolstered our own carrier fleet at the time. Basically the Brits make their deep defence cuts every once in a while and often there's some rather good stuff they have to let go. India could do well to capitalise, the Americans sure don't waste an opportunity to do so.
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 15:38   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Anyone recall the developmental experimentation that DRDO was doing with a HS748 Platform ??

https://www.natureasia.com/en/nindia...india.2019.171

https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/d...994-1999-01-25

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...ian-awacs.html

That was a brave attempt by our brave men.

Best Regards and Drive Safe

Most Viewed