Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2006, 17:00   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad

Ps: @Salil sorry for hijacking your thread will stay out as far as possible
Doesn't matter until u talk about globus and the indian bus scene......
Old 2nd November 2006, 17:26   #17
BHPian

This is how my experience about the Tata Globus is......

First impressions:
My first impressions from outside are that Tata has done a good job when it comes to design of the Globus. It has a Euro look and one can be forgiven for thinking that it's a B7R. The access to the bus is not the most convenient. Though it is much better than other Tata/Ashok Leyland buses due to a retractable step, the climb inside is steep and not good for children/senior citizens.

Inside the bus:
When the bus is stationary with the engine on, the vibrations inside the bus are quite high and noise levels are moderate. But when in motion with the partition door closed, the NVH levels are quite low and comparable to a Volvo. However, rattles and squeaks are on the higher side, which was a surprise considering that these are brand new buses. Seats are comfy but leg room is less, footrests are absent and seatbelts are not provided for all seats. Surprisingly, Tata has provided two cigarette lighters placed beside the TV. Tata has forgotten to provide pouches and bottle holders for the 1st row seats. A big mistake. As usual the bus has individual AC vents, and two reading lights. Plus there is a STOP button and volume control knob for the speakers.

Engine:
Since a lot is discussed about the technical aspects of the engine in this thread, let me talk about from a traveller's viewpoint. The engine passes on vibrations initially at low speeds. But things smoothen out thereafter till about 80kph. But when the bus approaches near 100kph, you get a feeling that you are travelling on a vibrating 100cc bike.

Speed / Ride / Handling / Comfort:
Old 2nd November 2006, 17:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
Speed / Ride / Handling / Comfort:

...........continued
Speed/Ride/Handling:
The speed of the bus is adequate for Indian highways and our bus did overtake most cars and heavy vehicles, even a Volvo B7R (mera bharat mahan). But the bus loses its steam in the ghats and its like any ordinary bus. Ride is quite choppy at high speeds. Handling is average.

Entertainment System:
Very ordinary. Nothing to write home about.

Value for ticket money:
Sensible to comment only when ticket prices stabilise. But high value for money for the current offer of Rs. 169 for Mumbai-Pune trip.

Verdict:

A good effort by Tata but can improve. Can be a good VFM package for bus operator/passenger. Anxiously waiting for the Hispano Globus range.

Dear mods, pls make appropriate corrections if there's a problem in the font.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 2nd November 2006 at 17:55.
Old 2nd November 2006, 18:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Now the write-up has become perfect.

Quote:
First impressions:
My first impressions from outside are that Tata has done a good job when it comes to design of the Globus. It has a Euro look and one can be forgiven for thinking that it's a B7R.

Trust some of our ingenious operators to remove the Tata badging and pass these of as volvos to unsuspecting customers[maybe even have a Volvo badge on these buses].
Old 2nd November 2006, 18:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@nitrous. I reserve my comment regarding this becoz the fare of the Globus is still not fixed and it is currently just about Rs.170. Thus currently, it is super value for money.
If bus service corps can hold this price for Globus, then it would be great for short inter-city travellers. Currenly VOLVO charge is approx Re.1/Km. If this is brought down to Re.0.75/Km, for similar quality (albeit less), then more people can afford this transport.
Old 2nd November 2006, 19:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Handling is average.
Salil

No offence meant, but how would a passenger be able to pass judgement on handling? Did you mean ride comfort?
Old 2nd November 2006, 20:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Salil

No offence meant, but how would a passenger be able to pass judgement on handling? Did you mean ride comfort?
I can dare to comment on the handling of this bus since i was sitting in the very first seat due to which i had the view of the road in front as well as the driver cabin (including instrumentation,i.e., speedo, tacho etc). I am comparing its handling to that of the Volvo B7R by keeping an eye on the effort taken by the driver to maintain his lane during high speeds. The bus refused to maintain stability while going over banked curves at high speed. At speeds above 80kph (approx), the driver had to constantly make corrections whereas in a Volvo the driver can hold the steering relatively steady. I repeat that I have considered Volvo B7R is my benchmark.

Dear Steeroid, if you are still unconvinced, you can relate 'handling' to 'high speed stability' in this case. Anyway, thanks for ur comments.
Old 2nd November 2006, 22:21   #23
kph
BHPian

Quote:
I have considered the fact that the Globus is much much cheaper than the B7R but the comparo is a must since Raj Travels is cutting its Mumbai Pune Volvo fleet down to size and increasing the number of Tata Globus buses. Thus the Globus is in direct competition with the B7R thanks to a bold step by Raj Travels.
In operators point of view there are 4 important factors. Those will be directly implied to the fare.
1. Price of the bus
2. Mileage
3. Maintenance cost
4. Life of the bus
anyone got a comparison on that?
Old 5th November 2006, 12:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

The 5.9 L 6cyl Cummins "B" series engine is an old workhorse, being used in a variety of applications from Tata's city buses to the iconic Dodge Ram, albeit in a higher state of tune (325 bhp).
I think the NVH are noticeably higher at higher speeds because the engine is strained to nearly its limit. It definitely needs something bigger.
Old 5th November 2006, 20:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
I think the NVH are noticeably higher at higher speeds because the engine is strained to nearly its limit. It definitely needs something bigger.
Did u travel by the Globus?? if yes, why don't u give ur own views abt the globus?
Old 5th November 2006, 21:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did u travel by the Globus?? if yes, why don't u give ur own views abt the globus?
Ohh..I havent! But here it was being compared it to a vibrating 100cc motorcycle. Hence I said that a bigger engine is called for! (Besides, since we are "Bhpians" we always ask for bigger, more powerful engines ).
Old 5th November 2006, 22:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just like the Tata Indica, this vehicle seems to be the prototype which Tata is gonna continuously improve.
I can see the future! Its good and economical.
Old 6th November 2006, 18:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
The 5.9 L 6cyl Cummins "B" series engine is an old workhorse, being used in a variety of applications from Tata's city buses to the iconic Dodge Ram, albeit in a higher state of tune (325 bhp).
The "B" series of engines are manufactured by Tata Cummins in different states of tune, ranging from 120 BHP to 210 BHP. As fitted in Globus, it develops 160 BHP. The 210 BHP version used to be fitted in the Tata 4021 truck. However, Tata didn't have an indigenous matching drive train and had to import the gearbox and axle from Eaton. This made the vehicle expensive, causing its failure in the market and culminating in the launch of 4018 which has Tata's local/cheaper drive train but of course a lower power 175 BHP version of the "B".

Abroad, the latest version of the "B" series 5.9 lt. engine is designated as "ISB" and has 4 valves per cylinder configuration, apart from electronic fuel management. Tata Cummins plans to introduce this new version soon. This new version has significantly lower NVH levels.

Novus, the new 49 tonne GVW truck from Tata (with chassis and cab imported from Tata-Daewoo, Korea) comes fitted with the 8.3 litre "C" series Cummins engine developing about 300 BHP. However, in India, this engine is not made by Tata Cummins but by Cummins India.

It's likely Tata will be using the "C" series in its future buses.

As fitted in the Dodge Ram, if I remember correctly, the B series develops 230 BHP rather than 325. Can you confirm this?

Cheers!

Last edited by directinjection : 6th November 2006 at 18:05.
Old 6th November 2006, 21:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection

As fitted in the Dodge Ram, if I remember correctly, the B series develops 230 BHP rather than 325. Can you confirm this?

Cheers!
For 2006 the Dodge Ram heavy duty pickup, has 325 bhp @ 2900 rpm and 610 lb ft torque @ 1600 rpm .. What I dont understand, how did they manage to get 4valves/cyl on a pushrod engine?
Old 7th November 2006, 10:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Inside the bus:

However, rattles and squeaks are on the higher side, which was a surprise considering that these are brand new buses. Seats are comfy but leg room is less, footrests are absent and seatbelts are not provided for all seats. Surprisingly, Tata has provided two cigarette lighters placed beside the TV. Tata has forgotten to provide pouches and bottle holders for the 1st row seats. A big mistake. As usual the bus has individual AC vents, and two reading lights. Plus there is a STOP button and volume control knob for the speakers.
Salil, the rattles and squeaks should be direcly attributed to the coach builder, as these would be coming from the body.

In the case of seats not having enough legroom and footrests, culprit is the bus owner. The coaches are built to order, so the bus owner dictates the specifications. less leg room means, they can squeeze in one more row of seats. I have seen the same in Volvo Buses- Some private run Bangalore-Kochi Volvos have very little leg room, where as others have footrest+ good leg room
Quote:
Engine:
But when the bus approaches near 100kph, you get a feeling that you are travelling on a vibrating 100cc bike.
The Coach builder again!!! This is called resonance. Read it along with the squeaks and rattles you experienced. The builder is not competent enough. You won't see this happening in buses built by experienced builders like Prakash in Bangalore.

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 7th November 2006 at 10:43.

Most Viewed