Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2006, 12:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
The Coach builder again!!! This is called resonance. Read it along with the squeaks and rattles you experienced. The builder is not competent enough. You won't see this happening in buses built by experienced builders like Prakash in Bangalore.
Aren't these buses built by Tata themselves? I thought so.
Old 7th November 2006, 13:10   #32
BHPian

My guess is that Raj will probably price the ticket eventually somewhere near the price as offered by volvo operators.

I really dont think that he is going to pass on the price diferential once his buses start running at more than 80% occupancy.

Any idea about the reliability of the globus buses and their service intervals w.r.t. BR7.
Old 7th November 2006, 13:15   #33
BHPian

does tata only sell the chassis and forget about it or does it get the bus body built from the body-builder and sell to the customer?

If tata is only selling the chassis and has no say whatsoever in the rest then be assured of seeing many volvo clones.

I thought the whole purpose of this globus thing was to offer volvo like features at indica pricing .In that case tata needs to take responsibility for the whole bus otherwise it will again go the way it happened with acgl buses.

I remeber those buses having terrible squeaks and rattles down the line
Old 7th November 2006, 13:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Aren't these buses built by Tata themselves? I thought so.
Please refer post # 14 by directinjection. Seems TATA is only supervising the process
Old 7th November 2006, 13:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284
In that case tata needs to take responsibility for the whole bus otherwise it will again go the way it happened with acgl buses.
ACGL is owned (okay, BOUGHT OVER) by Tata. This bus is probably built by ACGL too.
Old 7th November 2006, 14:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Salil, the rattles and squeaks should be direcly attributed to the coach builder, as these would be coming from the body.

In the case of seats not having enough legroom and footrests, culprit is the bus owner. The coaches are built to order, so the bus owner dictates the specifications. less leg room means, they can squeeze in one more row of seats. I have seen the same in Volvo Buses- Some private run Bangalore-Kochi Volvos have very little leg room, where as others have footrest+ good leg room

The Coach builder again!!! This is called resonance. Read it along with the squeaks and rattles you experienced. The builder is not competent enough. You won't see this happening in buses built by experienced builders like Prakash in Bangalore.

• As far as I know Raj National Express has one of the best coaches in the country in all respects and thus, their Globus is definitely of the highest trim level if we go by RNE's reputation. Thus, I can safely conclude that Tata has missed out on details such as footrests etc.
  • Tata is in a major way responsible for the build quality of the bus because it's Tata who selects the coach builder. Remember, Tata Globus is a branded bus sold directly by Tata and not a typical bus where a bare bus chassis is bought and body is built by a local coach builder. So I feel it to be incorrect to only blame the coach builder coz these buses are built under Tata's "strict supervision".
  • Remember, my thread says "Raj National Express Tata Globus experience" and not just "Tata Globus experience". So it's a combined experience of Raj Travels and Tata Globus in general. Thus, I felt to comment about the legroom coz RNE's Volvo fleet is the most spacious (atleast in Maharashtra) and thus, I expected a bit more legroom in the Globus compared to other non-Volvo buses.
Old 7th November 2006, 15:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
ACGL is owned (okay, BOUGHT OVER) by Tata. This bus is probably built by ACGL too.
ACGL or Automobile Corporation of Goa Limited was a joint venture between Tata Motors and Economic Development Corporation of Goa Ltd. Tata chose Goa for making bus bodies because of the tax concessions available there. The designs were provided by Fuji Heavy Industries, Japan, the technical collaborator and Japan's larget bus body manufacturer at the time. However, ACGL buses did not achieve the success they were supposed to. The web site of ACGL does have a picture of a recent model Tata bus, don't know if it's Starbus or Globus.
Check this link:

http://www.acglgoa.com/index.asp
Old 7th November 2006, 15:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
For 2006 the Dodge Ram heavy duty pickup, has 325 bhp @ 2900 rpm and 610 lb ft torque @ 1600 rpm .. What I dont understand, how did they manage to get 4valves/cyl on a pushrod engine?
The ISB version indeed has 4 valves per cylinder. It also has High Pressure Common Rail Fuel Injection Pump plus a variable geometry turbo on the higher power variants. Its noise level is claimed to be 80% less than the conventional "B" series. However, even the top-of-the-line variant only develops 275 BHP @ 2600 RPM. Are you sure the figure of 325 bhp involves the "B" series?

Cheers!
Old 8th November 2006, 10:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
Tata is in a major way responsible for the build quality of the bus because it's Tata who selects the coach builder. Remember, Tata Globus is a branded bus sold directly by Tata and not a typical bus where a bare bus chassis is bought and body is built by a local coach builder. So I feel it to be incorrect to only blame the coach builder coz these buses are built under Tata's "strict supervision".
My answer was on a technical point of view. I agree eventually TATA's reputation is also affected.

Or should I say the bus's quality is consistent with TATA's reputation (or lack of it)
Old 9th November 2006, 15:16   #40

definately globus is built at ACGL goa.
of course first batch of buses will have some problems
many people might not be knowing this but more than 90% of ACGL buses are exported(middle east, africa ,south east asia etc).
Old 17th November 2007, 12:14   #41
BHPian

I have travelled around 25-30 times in a B7R including Bangalore-Mumbai, 5-6 Mumbai-Davanagere/Davanagere-Mumbai, Mum-Goa-Mum, Blore-Mlore , numerous Mum-Pune-Mum

And then one day i took a Raj travels Globus from Mum-Pune. I will never do that again. The Globus just cannot match the B7R in terms of anything but initial cost n fuel efficiency. Even the 6-7yr old Neeta B7Rs feel better than the new Raj Globus buses. That Neeta cruised at 105-110, had half the vibs and noise and felt miles ahead in comfort too.

Yeah the Globus costs 33-34, as compared the 70+ of the B7R, but i think its worth it. The 17hr Blore-Mumbai VRL volvo trip left me fresh when i arrived in Mumbai. Enuf said!
Old 17th November 2007, 17:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Last Year I traveled to Vaishno Devi from Delhi in a Volvo Bus Run by Rao Travels. An let me tell this bus is much much advanced and Secure than Tata Buses. On the way I got friendly with the Driver so explained me about the bus. Bus ECU controls each and every aspect of the bus, and costs 90K Rs.

Besides Pedal brakes and Handbrakes, bus had another speed control break which had four levels, it was installed on dash and applied by lever. On applying to a level speeds goes down to some level and when you release it, it goes back to the last speed by its own.

Very high seating comfort.

But because low ground clearance, this buses had tough time passing though bad roads. But even then I did not felt a single impact of bad roads on me.
Old 17th November 2007, 20:02   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Last Year I traveled to Vaishno Devi from Delhi in a Volvo Bus Run by Rao Travels. An let me tell this bus is much much advanced and Secure than Tata Buses. On the way I got friendly with the Driver so explained me about the bus. Bus ECU controls each and every aspect of the bus, and costs 90K Rs.

bus? only 90k? maybe i should buy a couple of them then. jus kidding bro.
Old 17th November 2007, 20:58   #44
BANNED

NVH on Tata chasis

Tata chassis tend to have higher vibrations at idle and high speeds. They have not been to significantly improve (err.. reduce the vibrations passed on to the chassis by the engine) it over past 25 years. Ashok Leyland, OTOH, is super smooth; a passenger sitting inside a properly tuned (for idle speeds) AL will never know whether the engine is on or not. I have not actually travelled on either the B7R or Globus; but going by the reviews here, Tata R&D has not been able to make much headway here.

I do grant that coach build quality does have some impact on engine vibrations resonating with the body. But, a comparison of KSRTC buses with Irizar-TVS bodies on Tata and AL chassis does show (to me, at least) that body vibrations on Tata chasis is very, very high, when compared to AL.
Old 17th November 2007, 22:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Besides Pedal brakes and Handbrakes, bus had another speed control break which had four levels, it was installed on dash and applied by lever. On applying to a level speeds goes down to some level and when you release it, it goes back to the last speed by its own.

Thats the eddy current braking system, the hand hand lever can only be seen in markII volvo's; markI's dont have them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks