Team-BHP - Raj National Express TATA GLOBUS experience
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Raj National Express TATA GLOBUS experience (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/18614-raj-national-express-tata-globus-experience.html)

Recently I travelled by Raj National Express' Tata Globus on the Mumbai - Pune route.....

Here's an unbiased head to head between Volvo B7R and Tata Globus from my viewpoint as a traveller.

Design:
B7R: 4.5/5 Globus: 4/5

Build:
B7R: 4/5 Globus: 4/5

Comfort (Seats/ Creature comfort):
B7R: 5/5 Globus: 3.75/5

Ride Quality:
B7R: 4/5 Globus: 3/5

NVH:
B7R: 5/5 Globus: 2.75/5

Engine (From a traveller's viewpoint):
B7R: 5/5 Globus: 3/5

Acceleration/Speed:
B7R: 5/5 Globus: 3.5/5

Air Conditioning:
B7R: 5/5 Globus: 5/5

Access & Ergonomics:
B7R: 4/5 Globus: 3/5

Overall:
B7R: 4.75/5 Globus: 3/5

I have considered the fact that the Globus is much much cheaper than the B7R but the comparo is a must since Raj Travels is cutting its Mumbai Pune Volvo fleet down to size and increasing the number of Tata Globus buses. Thus the Globus is in direct competition with the B7R thanks to a bold step by Raj Travels.

@salil you have done a good job.

How are the rates for the passengers in the globus compared to the volvo,Is it cheaper travelling in it compared to the volvos?

Comparing engines of the volvo with the tata

Tata Globus

Engine torque(Nm) 540@1400-1700rpm

Engine power (bhp) 156.83@2500rpm

Volvo B7R

Engine torque(Nm) 1100@1300rpm

Engine power (bhp) 256.03@2200rpm

The volvo engine is truly a beast compared to the Tata engine.

Since Raj Travels has recently introduced these buses.... the fare for Mumbai-Pune route for the month of october was just Rs.138 (including taxes). In november it has jumped to Rs.169 (including taxes). Remember that when Raj had introduced its volvo services for the first time the Mumbai-pune fare was just Rs.99 (excluding taxes) and now its almost Rs.280 !!
To all bhpians: I can post a more detailed experience from my side if you wish........

Oops; forgot to mention
Entertainment System:
B7R : 4/5 Globus: 2.75/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by salilpawar1
To all bhpians: I can post a more detailed experience from my side if you wish........

Yes please. This is very interesting.

Yeah this is very nice Tata buses replacing volvos. This could be useful in bangalore too as they have Volvo city buses which arent doing that well and very expensive to run.
The tatas starbus could be a economical alternative to this.

Do you have any pics too of the bus?

Unlike volvo[who outsource] ,tatas seem to be building the whole bus,i.e even the bus body building part on their own.

http://buses.tatamotors.com/luxury_feature.htm
has some pics

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Comparing engines of the volvo with the tata

Tata Globus

Engine torque(Nm) 540@1400-1700rpm

Engine power (bhp) 156.83@2500rpm

Volvo B7R

Engine torque(Nm) 1100@1300rpm

Engine power (bhp) 256.03@2200rpm

The volvo engine is truly a beast compared to the Tata engine.

Does the Globus have a turbocharged engine ? As far as I know, the B7R has a intercooled Turbocharged engine.

One important factor which u didnt compare is VFM wrt the travel fare.

@nitrous. I reserve my comment regarding this becoz the fare of the Globus is still not fixed and it is currently just about Rs.170. Thus currently, it is super value for money.

The globus has a 6 cylindered turbocharged Tata Cummins Engine which conforms to Euro 3 Norms [B7R is Euro 2 ]

Is there any difference in the actual journey time between the 2 buses?

The Volvo should be theoretically faster , as it can use its huge torque and power to reach its cruising speed earlier..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Unlike volvo[who outsource] ,tatas seem to be building the whole bus,i.e even the bus body building part on their own.

http://buses.tatamotors.com/luxury_feature.htm
has some pics

That's not correct. These new Tata buses are also made by outside bus body builders, though under the supervision and quality control of Tata guys. Here's the press report:

www.blonnet.com/bline/blnri/2005/03/08/stories/2005030801490200.htm

It is only a matter of time before the quality gap between Volvo and Tata buses narrows down what with Tata having acquired Hispano Carrocera, a Spanish bus body builder and having also entered into a JV with MARCOPOLO, a prominent Brazilian bus body builder. These acquisitions and tie ups are aimed at acquiring international standard bus building technology and designs. Here's the report:

http://www.tatamotors.com/our_world/...22&action=Pull

Currently, Tata is using the Cummins 5.9 litre engine in its buses whereas Volvo is using a 7 litre unit. Hence, the notable difference in engine powers. Future Tata buses shall be having common rail engines. Probably, the Cummins "C" series 8.3 litre engine will also be introduced (Already launched in India in Tata's Novus range of trucks). So the power and torque difference should also vanish soon.

Cheers!

Extremely sorry for making such a foolish post,should have cross-checked earlier.

Quoting Mr. Ravi Kant

"The company is not involved in the manufacture of buses per se and sources products from a clutch of bus-body builders. ``We only sell chassis and will continue to do so. Two years ago, we launched our only product in the segment — the 16-seater City Ride — which has a 45 per cent market share. Bus body making is in the unorganised sector where players have different volumes and quality. We are taking steps to improve the quality and capacities in the industry and have identified seven to eight builders. We are bringing their manufacturing to a level now''.

Thank you directinjection for correcting me.

Ps: @Salil sorry for hijacking your thread will stay out as far as possible