Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2017, 14:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Nice initiative, Bone collector. Good to see people solving problems themselves rather than cribbing about it.

Just a small question, I am thinking of getting one installed at our place in Bangalore. So is there some minimum height requirement or anything?
I have been using FlightRadar24 since 2011, and always been a paid customer of their app. I tried earlier for a similar set up at Bangalore and the request was turned down as they already have enough data sources. I even tried with my parents home location and unfortunately that too turned down due to the proximity to another airport.

From my flat Balcony I get a good view of aircraft's preparing for landing at BIAL ( east - west descend at night time) and I track them using this app. All I need to do is to point the app in such a way that the aircraft is in the frame.
Another interesting use I have for this app is to locate any other flights in vicinity when I am inside a flight with internet connectivity. Its fun to predict that you can see another aircraft crossing your path when you are at 36K+ feet altitude.
arjithin is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 14:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post

they contacted me on my email and asked a few more details..... the view of sky at eye-level from where the antennae will be mounted in the 4 directions and the length of cables required for the setup.

Hey Doc,

Good to see this project.

What if the area surrounding the antennae is not free in all directions. Like perhaps an apartment on one side. Does that disqualify you?

Did you do the wiring all by yourself or did you need any professional help.
Old 22nd April 2017, 15:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Hey Doc,

Good to see this project.

What if the area surrounding the antennae is not free in all directions. Like perhaps an apartment on one side. Does that disqualify you?

Did you do the wiring all by yourself or did you need any professional help.
FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-range.jpg

If you look at this image, you'll see that the coverage towards North is less compared to other sides. Its because there is a part of my building next to the receiver towards North side.

Quote:
Like perhaps an apartment on one side.
There is a 5 storey building towards my west but that doesn't hamper the signals. It all depends on how you click snaps and send it across to them. In this image, you can see the coverage,
North - 115 nm = about 210 Kms
South - 204 nm = about 375 Kms
East - 144 nm = about 265 Kms
West - 153 nm = about 280 Kms.
These distances are in straight line, as the crow flies.

The wiring was done by me, its very simple. The issue to host this is lack of coverage in a particular area. In my case, I think I cover up to Kathmandu at times towards North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Interesting, I saw your picture of the Antenna above, but could not see any lightning arrestor higher than the antenna,

Obviously you do not want to get fried one of these days, do plan for one
I hope it doesn't get fried but there are 2 adjacent buildings with arrestors which are taller than mine. I hope that takes care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Nice initiative, Bone collector. Good to see people solving problems themselves rather than cribbing about it.

Just a small question, I am thinking of getting one installed at our place in Bangalore. So is there some minimum height requirement or anything?
There is no minimum height requirement but what I feel is that lesser the number of buildings in your surrounding, better the reception. Moreover, if someone is already hosting it nearer your location, chances of you hosting it is less.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 22nd April 2017 at 15:32.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 16:05   #19
BHPian

Thank you for the thread BoneCollector.

I use flightradar24 with www.liveatc.net to track ATC/pilot conversations and flight paths during takeoff/approach/landing. It is fun. Sometimes I get to hear hilarious conversations between pilots/ATC.
srinivasnvns is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 16:08   #20
Sip
BHPian

It is absolutely normal that a toddler is quickly enchanted by a bird and so is any homo sapien by aviation. I am sure you followed your instincts and this resulted in this particular thread.

It is important to realise that for a normal person such things are not much useful in any manner and it has potential for use by ANEs especially when terrorism is worldwide threat.

Therefore may i request you to not to share the real time information with anyone.
Sip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 16:08   #21
BHPian

Longtime FL24 user here. Love this app but sometimes it does miss flights. Happened with me multiple times at GOI.
Old 22nd April 2017, 16:37   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post

Therefore may i request you to not to share the real time information with anyone.
Yup, don't worry. I'll not be doing ​anything of that sort.
ANEs can gain access only if they hack into FR24 server. Let's hope that they've a good firewall.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 23:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasnvns View Post
Thank you for the thread BoneCollector.

I use flightradar24 with www.liveatc.net to track ATC/pilot conversations and flight paths during takeoff/approach/landing. It is fun. Sometimes I get to hear hilarious conversations between pilots/ATC.
Which airport do you track, i usually do DXB and newyork.

Bonecollector, I will post some pictures of my FR24 receiver and setup once I reach home. Their app is a blast to use. There is a guy in office, who got the flightaware approved so he also feeds data. By the way, I am VOTV2 on the radar.

I was thinking about getting a TECSUN PL660 / PL880 to hear the ATC as none of the india stations are covered on liveatc. Your thoughts on the airband radio?
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 01:25   #24
BHPian

Nice, glad to see there are more and more aviation buffs and fellow industry colleagues here. FR24 has grown significantly since early days, unfortunately their ad based features do ruin the experience a bit. Nevertheless their service still provides a wealth of information for not just avgeeks but also common folks who use it just to keep track of flights their friends or family might be travelling on.

Airband scanners can be an issue to source and use in India given the various laws and regulations. Best bets are to pick one up from the states or Europe.. Germany is a good place. iCom is a good brand in case anyone is interested, as is Uniden. Keep in mind though that some countries prohibit the carriage or possession of airband scanners.. UAE for example, if i remember clearly.
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Yup, don't worry. I'll not be doing ​anything of that sort.
ANEs can gain access only if they hack into FR24 server. Let's hope that they've a good firewall.
What kind of Internet bandwidth is required for hosting?
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:50   #26
BHPian

Wow! Interesting to know the hobby is catching up. Have been using paid version of FR24 since 2~3 years now and often a topic of jokes among my friends. Most people do not understand how tracking airplanes can be a hobby.

I too had applied to host a FR24 station but since I am in Bangalore, they probably have too many already here and got rejected. Now I think I should apply from my hometown in Rajasthan. I am sure they do not have many around there. Only for the business access you get you see.
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:28   #27
BHPian

FR24 has become indispensable nowadays and it is the first site that most news channels turn to when there is some incidents reported.

Coming to the hosting, it is a grey area where the legality is concerned. Of course, it is a over-the-air information that is freely available. But the question is whether the person hosting it is the intended receptor of this information let alone transfer the same to a 3rd party host in another country. The legality varies between countries and when it comes to India, we are the slowest to adopt, legalize and formalize any such advancements in technology.

For anyone hosting this or a similar service, I would suggest get a bit more involved in studying the radio aspects and get an amateur radio license. At least, this is the closest one can get, considering the legalities. However, note that being a radio amateur doesn't give the license to do a similar hosting. But one can argue that the very reason for becoming a radio amateur is to do experiments in the field of radio reception and transmission.

More info on Amateur radio in this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...io-thread.html
bejoy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:51   #28
BHPian

I have been using this app from the last 1 1/2 years. A friend who is pilot introduced this app to me.

What I use this app for is completely different though. Usually, dad or me to receive or drop folks to the airport(mostly international flights). When receiving folks this app is of good help specially when dad is going to the airport. We start for the airport only after the flight is confirmed to have landed on the app making it before or just in time the folks actually come out of the gate. It saves us waiting time at the airport specially when the flight is delayed.
gendarmee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 10:27   #29
BHPian

Very important Question: Who pays for electricity?
Old 24th April 2017, 10:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
What kind of Internet bandwidth is required for hosting?
When I had applied, I was using a 1MBPS unlimited plan. Now I've changed the service provider and am getting 3MBPS for same price. The data uploaded in a day is not much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Very important Question: Who pays for electricity?
I'm paying for the electricity. The receiver works on a 5V adapter and is connected to the inverter. Haven't seen any increase in expense as yet.
BoneCollector is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed