Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2017, 16:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gyroscopic Travel - The future of mass transportation?

Came across the following video on YouTube. Though it appears futuristic and straight out of science fiction, who knows what strange contraption could be transporting us in about a decade's time.

The video surely presents a series of interesting possibilities that could provide credible solutions for mass transportation, public utility and emergency services on congested roads.

Disclaimer: I am technically not qualified to comment on the feasibility or practicality of the solution. Sharing the video as I found the concept appealing from a layman's perspective .
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 10:27   #2
BHPian

re: Gyroscopic Travel - The future of mass transportation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Came across the following video on YouTube. Though it appears futuristic and straight out of science fiction, who knows what strange contraption could be transporting us in about a decade's time.

The video surely presents a series of interesting possibilities that could provide credible solutions for mass transportation, public utility and emergency services on congested roads.

Disclaimer: I am technically not qualified to comment on the feasibility or practicality of the solution. Sharing the video as I found the concept appealing from a layman's perspective .
I don't see how this can be considered safe? What if a car driver is to ram into one of those things, or have a scrape or touch by mistake. It's too close to the moving traffic without any physical barriers.

Also, notice how it suddenly turns right near that building on fire. Unsuspecting driver will straight knock it off!

Plus, going up and down near perpendicular flyover bridges, what if the driver forgets to do that!! Or, what if it goes too low and crushes the vehicles nearby. Or what if it has to go low and there are a couple of buses or trucks nearby.

Not very well thought of by the conceptualiser!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th August 2017 at 11:04. Reason: Removing youtube URL from quoted post.
beingyukeit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 11:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Though it appears futuristic and straight out of science fiction, who knows what strange contraption could be transporting us in about a decade's time.

Nice to see these out of the box ideas. Everything starts with a thought. Thank you for sharing. For the sceptics, posters from early 1930s of Imperial Airways (in a way the grandfather of British Airways) - not so long ago - my father and father-in-law were school going students by then.
Attached Thumbnails
Gyroscopic Travel - The future of mass transportation?-imperial-airways-fly-england-india_vintage-ad.jpg  

Gyroscopic Travel - The future of mass transportation?-imperialairways10900x900.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 13th August 2017 at 11:08.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 12:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingyukeit View Post
Not very well thought of by the conceptualiser!!
I am sure even HE must have made some less than perfect examples of human beings before finalising on the actual specimen. As V.Narayan rightly puts it:

Quote:
Everything starts with a thought.
All great inventions and innovations begin as unpolished and hard to believe ideas. For instance, Motorola mobile phone took birth as a brick sized device. Imagine trying to insert one into your back pocket!

That said, practical or not, creative concepts and imaginative solutions are the need of the hour. In the era of hyperloops, pod taxis and autonomous vehicles, gyroscopic travel solutions do not appear too far fetched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
For the sceptics, posters from early 1930s of Imperial Airways...
Six days! If this doesn't convince us of the ability of technology to make the impossible possible, then what else can?
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 10:07   #5
BHPian

Re: Gyroscopic Travel - The future of mass transportation?

As Car and Bike enthusiasts , we may hate it..! But the fact is , the era of transportation is going to have a tremendous change. When that happens, this pure connection between the ride and the rider we see all around now , will also be diminished.
I am happy about the improvements and new inventions like these, but I wish to be able to use the rides I do now, till the end.! I don't know about you all, but personally , I even get bored when I use the cruise control function.
JozfGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 17:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice innovative ideas. What happens though if a drunk driver rams those wheels? Will it topple over ?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 21:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This looks pretty similar to the Chinese bus - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ongestion.html

Looks good on these nice, clean organised streets. Replace that with the chaos of our roads and it will be fun to see, how this thing copes. In addition to the flyovers it has to dodge haphazardly hanging overhead cables too!

All these innovations though hint at the imminent future - surface public transport may soon vanish and we might see a lot of sub-surface or air transport.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 10:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....The video surely presents a series of interesting possibilities that could provide credible solutions for mass transportation, public utility and emergency services on congested roads.
The scenario depicted in the video assumes that these mass transportation gyroscopic contraptions will end up running among a congested ocean of personally owned cars.

The future scenario could be very different from the depiction. The concept of individual car ownership will itself go away with the adoption of driver-less cars for everyday use becoming a reality in future.

With autonomous cars gaining the ability to drive, park, navigate on their own without any human intervention, they will be able to take care of themselves, go wherever there is a need and will end up being part of a common pool usable by subscribed users, eliminating the need for personally owned transportation reducing the total number of cars and traffic congestion will reduce drastically.

They will have the ability to clearly communicate and co-ordinate with one another for eg: to co-ordinate and pass through traffic intersections in a predictable and smooth manner without bumping into one other, the concept of traffic signals itself may be eliminated in future.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 16th August 2017 at 10:46.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks