Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

View Poll Results: Should long distance travelling buses have seat belts for all its passengers..
Yes it is necessary and can save a lot of lives 42 85.71%
No it is not necessary and we have been safe all this while 4 8.16%
Cant say as I cannot understand the need. 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2006, 07:48   #1
BHPian

Should long distance travelling buses have seat belts for all its passengers.

These days a common sight to be seen during the weekends is that a lot of luxury, Semi luxury, Hitech buses etc leaving/entering the city. A lot of people staying in Bangalore from various cities/towns/ villages board these buses and visit their places during the weekends.

I have on a couple of occassions travelled to Hyderabad during night and was wondering why there arent any seatbelts for all the passengers.
The buses are mostly plying on highways at high speeds during night and while most of the passengers are asleep. I feel it becomes that much more necessary for these buses to have this safety feature. When the volvo buses can cost in upwards of 50 lakh plus, why cant they have this feature.

Is it too much to ask for our safety for long distance travels given the fact that our roads, our vehicles, our driving sense is so bad.
Old 24th November 2006, 08:53   #2
BANNED

Volvos have seat belts for all passengers. But the sad part is that it's either removed or tied up to the seats so that can't be put to any use.

Even the Government operated KSRTC volvos have seatbelts. Passengers find it to be an inconvenience. So, it's tied back to the seats!!!!
Old 24th November 2006, 09:00   #3
BHPian

Safety becomes inconvenience, when you ask a person to use the seat belts. Maybe Buses should also fly, so that people will accede to the request.

I have seen on many occassions, people (particularly those sitting in the front seats) ignoring this basic precaution and that too when it is available.

If only people started thinking
Old 24th November 2006, 09:08   #4
BHPian

The seat-belts are indispensable whenever a huge vehicle like the Volvo's @ 100+ kM/HR on highways in dark conditions.An also,our very own bus drivers pedal to the metal to reach destinations in time which makes the use of Seat belts mandatory.Seen some buses in KSRTC with seat belts.
Old 24th November 2006, 09:30   #5
BHPian

Too bad that people dont give any importance to safety. Most of the long distance buses dont have any seatbelts, and those which have are tied back...too bad...

(Off Topic)
I am used to the kind of importance given to safety in the oil and gas industry, the driver wont move the car until everybody buckles up, be it the COO or the junior most guy..we got to learn a lot from them...better learn fast, or one may not live to learn it later...
Old 24th November 2006, 09:38   #6
BHPian

May be people like the kick they get out of hitting the front seat bars when sudden brakes are applied.

It should be made mandatory, either you wear the belt or get out kinds.
Old 24th November 2006, 09:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think Volvo has seatbelts only on the first row of seats.
Anyways, most times some seatbelts are out of commission.

And believe me you badly need a seatbelt if you are on the first seat of a Volvo bus!
Old 24th November 2006, 09:51   #8
BHPian

In all the volvo's I have travelled in between hyderabad and bangalore, the only one's with seat belts were the KSRTC ones. It is possible that seat belts are offered as an option and only a few operators choose to add them.
However, with a seat belt, the journey is more comfortable too! The seat belt prevents the passenger from sliding from the seat under heavy braking, so we can sleep peacefully without the hassle of manouvering ourselves back into the seat! And more safe too!
Old 24th November 2006, 12:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Volvos have seat belts for all passengers. But the sad part is that it's either removed or tied up to the seats so that can't be put to any use.

Even the Government operated KSRTC volvos have seatbelts. Passengers find it to be an inconvenience. So, it's tied back to the seats!!!!
are they ? i have never noticed that. it is a simple yet a very useful accessory that should be present in all buses, city or otherwise.
Old 24th November 2006, 12:44   #10
BHPian

@Gordon,mtnrajdeep and esteem_lover
Volvo provides seatbelts as standard for the driver, codriver, frontmost row and the middle seat of the last row. Belts for all other seats are optional.
Old 24th November 2006, 13:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Definetely, it would reduce the injury on passengers (due to hard braking, especially on Volvos). Also, the passengers would sit secured and hence less chance of sliding down the seat.
PS: I have travelled few times on KSRTC (Karnataka) Volvo buses. I have found seat belts on all seats.
Old 24th November 2006, 13:38   #12
BHPian

Its definitely a need. For overnight trips it will really help while braking. I had tough time while travelling with kids especially
Old 25th November 2006, 00:19   #13
BHPian

I don't see any seat belts in the Greyhound buses in US or Canada. The air suspension of the buses is good enough to absorb all the usual bumps and potholes. And the drivers have to be really skilled.
Sitting with your seat belts on could be extremely uncomfortable in a bus for long journeys.
Although many experts and agencies have strongly recommended using seat belts on these buses.
The Press Republican - Seat belts for buses at issue
Old 25th November 2006, 12:35   #14
BHPian

YES! definately should be made compulsory! nowadays even bus travelling is not that safe, the bus drivers are racing the buses, overtaking cars and competing with other buses/lorries on the road. so what safety do the passengers have in such situations - nil.
Old 25th November 2006, 12:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

yes all the long distance buses should have seat belts for all the passengers.
Seat belts are the primary level security feature in an automobile.
I have been using the seat belt from 2003, when a friend of mine explained me how he escaped from an accident because of the seat belt with minor injuries.(seat belts are mandatory from sometime in 2006 in hyderabad).
Every time I get into a bus i think about the seat-belt is missing considering that those buses run around 80Kmph.

Most Viewed