Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2017, 16:23   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Emirate's first-class private suites: Inspired by Mercedes, introduced by Jeremy Clarkson

Excerpts from the press release:

Quote:
Emirates has unveiled completely refreshed interiors for its Boeing 777 aircraft, including new First Class private suites.

With floor to ceiling sliding doors and sleek design features inspired by the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Emirates’ new suites takes luxury and privacy to the next level. Offering up to 40 square feet of personal space each, these spacious, fully-enclosed private suites are laid out in a 1-1-1 configuration. From First Class through to the Business and Economy Class cabins, all along the walkways, in the washrooms and galleys, the latest Emirates 777 aircraft boasts a multi-million dollar upgrade that includes newly-designed seats and upgraded inflight entertainment systems in all cabins.

Emirates’ latest First Class product gives a nod to the design philosophy of the Mercedes-Benz S- Class, bringing together two global brands renowned for innovation, luxury, and comfort. The collaboration inspired several design details in the private suite including the soft leather seating, high-tech control panels, and mood lighting.

Extending that trademark inflight experience to exclusive on-ground services, Emirates and Mercedes-Benz have extended their partnership to provide a fleet of the S-Class cars as part of its complimentary Chauffeur-drive service. Emirates First Class passengers arriving or departing in the UAE will enjoy a seamless journey from aircraft to home, and vice versa, in a Mercedes-Benz S-Class car.

The latest Emirates 777 aircraft with these new features will enter commercial service on 1 December, making its debut on flights to Geneva and Brussels.
Emirate's first-class private suites: Inspired by Mercedes, introduced by Jeremy Clarkson-1.jpg

Emirate's first-class private suites: Inspired by Mercedes, introduced by Jeremy Clarkson-2.jpg

Emirate's first-class private suites: Inspired by Mercedes, introduced by Jeremy Clarkson-3.jpg

Emirate's first-class private suites: Inspired by Mercedes, introduced by Jeremy Clarkson-4.jpg

Emirate's first-class private suites: Inspired by Mercedes, introduced by Jeremy Clarkson-5.jpg
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 16:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Emirate's first-class private suites: Inspired by Mercedes, introduced by Jeremy Clarkson

Lame ad.... but boy oh boy, those suites look absolutely PHENOMENAL! What I wouldnt give to travel in those!
Old 17th November 2017, 17:49   #3
BHPian

Re: Emirate's first-class private suites: Inspired by Mercedes, introduced by Jeremy Clarkson

Fabulous - guess there must be a substantial market for this luxury otherwise even Emirates wont configure their aircraft for this at the expense of revenue loss.
Old 17th November 2017, 18:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Some companies compare their car's rear space, features, and comfort level with business/first class air travel. Here they have done reverse by making business class inspired by a car.

What next? Air India private suites inspired by a Scorpio?

Those suites looks awesome, and 40 square feet of personal space each!!
Latheesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 18:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

Must be some kind of co-branding/advertising strategy. Emirates also uses Mercedes cars for their chauffeur-drive program. I can see switches and roof lights similar in designs to what they use on Maybach. Using Jeremy to advertise further adds appeal to petrolheads

There's a market of these suites in some segments, most of the celebrities or political personalities won't mind paying extra especially when someone else is paying or Airline discounting for such frequent flyers by way of upgrade vouchers or otherwise.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th November 2017 at 18:44.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 18:51   #6
Zed
BHPian

This makes the emirates A380 first class suite look cramped! Also seems classier from a design perspective. That said the A380 shower option for first class remains a trump card - a real nice-to-have on long haul flights
Zed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 19:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Some other interesting, remarkable observations on this other then the plane;

JC in a tux!
JC in a pyjama!
JC in a commercial/promotional!

On the latter, I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall a column of his, also published in one of his book, where he talk about never ever wanting to do commercials/promotional stuff.

Even so, that looks like a very luxurious, if not almost decadent, way of travelling. Most cost an absolute fortune! Would love to travel like this.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 19:44   #8
BHPian

The Etihad A380 and dreamliner first class seems to be better than this. The only advantage that the new Emirates first class suite has is that it's got floor to ceiling doors.

Also check out the new Singapore Airlines first class suite in their 380s. It is brilliant!. Right now the best product in first class is offered by Etihad (a380 and 787) and Singapore Airline (a380).

Last edited by HKap : 17th November 2017 at 19:47. Reason: Added a youtube link
HKap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 20:15   #9
Team-BHP Support

Very basic/dumb question:

When on board in such a suite what happen to the seat belts? How in a split moment when needed one gets to tie them?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 20:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very basic/dumb question:

When on board in such a suite what happen to the seat belts? How in a split moment when needed one gets to tie them?
Well the beds have seatbelts, and the chairs have seatbelts.

What a stunning suite. What I really liked is that they give you binoculars to use. Also the suites in the middle, have virtual windows which give them a view outside. I guess they had to do this to keep up with Etihad's apartment, but the residence is still much larger than this.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 20:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Well the beds have seatbelts, and the chairs have seatbelts.

What a stunning suite. What I really liked is that they give you binoculars to use. Also the suites in the middle, have virtual windows which give them a view outside. I guess they had to do this to keep up with Etihad's apartment, but the residence is still much larger than this.
The residence and the apartment are both a notch above Emirates' product. Both have a separate bed and chair. The residence has a living area and a separate bedroom and of course a private bathroom with a shower!!
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 10:46   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
There's a market of these suites in some segments, most of the celebrities or political personalities won't mind paying extra especially when someone else is paying
Well said! Other than billionaires, I don't think anyone would pay from their own pocket for such a private suite. But when it comes to celebrities & high-flying corporates, it's usually someone else footing the bill, so...

Some companies might also choose to send their CEOs in these suites as, despite the pricing, it's still cheaper than your own private jet .

Not that I have the money to fly like this, but even if & when I do, I'd rather endure lesser luxury in business class (or no luxury in cattle class) for a long flight and spend the $$$ saved on the holiday / shopping / cars etc. I anyway sleep through 90% of my time in international flights. But then, calculating people like us aren't the target market for such obscene luxury .
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 12:51   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well said! Other than billionaires, I don't think anyone would pay from their own pocket for such a private suite. But when it comes to celebrities & high-flying corporates, it's usually someone else footing the bill, so...
True, the haven't got a clue what a ticket costs.

There is an interesting marketing story along these lines for Concorde. One day the BA marketing boys and girls decides to do a bit of research. So they start asking their concorde passengers what they paid, or thought they paid, for their Concorde ticket. None of these people do something mundane as booking a ticket of course. They all have PA's and such to take care of this stuff. But they all quoted prices they thought they were paying which were considerable higher than the actual fare! So BA started charging them for what they thought they were paying anyway.

Make sense!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 14:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Putting a suite like that in an aeroplane is quite wow! BUT ...
Isn't this is the kind of space - though not the luxury - we used to (or maybe still do) get in trains?

The Emirates 1st class suite didn't strike me as being inspired by Mercedes-Benz. It came across as being inspired by 1st class trains from the 1920's - albeit with modern gadgetry.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 20th November 2017 at 14:30. Reason: clarity
Old 20th November 2017, 16:37   #15
BHPian

I am a big fan of Wendover Production's videos. He has something interesting for those are into the 'The Economics of Airline Class'

'

I completely agree with pointers mentioned.
Those who are flying such classes would do it as either a replacement for their private jets or as and when someone else pays for their seat/bed.
dileepcm is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks