Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 17:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

JBM Auto to launch its first electric bus at 2018 Auto Expo

JBM Auto had announced their joint venture with European bus manufacturer, Solaris Bus and Coach S.A. back in July 2016. Now, Nishant Arya, Executive Director, JBM Group has told the media that the company is planning to launch the EcoLife electric bus in India at the 2018 Auto Expo.

JBM Auto to launch its first electric bus at 2018 Auto Expo-jbm.jpg

The EcoLife electric bus will available in 12-metre and 9-metre variants with a seating capacity of 30-40 people depending on the variant. The electric buses will cost around Rs. 2.5-3 crore each.

The buses have been designed, engineered and manufactured at the company’s manufacturing facility in Kosi, Uttar Pradesh using technologies shared by Solaris as part of the joint venture. The company also has plans to export the electric buses to other right-hand drive markets in the Commonwealth.

The lithium-ion batteries for the bus are manufactured overseas using designs developed in-house at JBM Auto. Meanwhile, the bus bodies are being built at company's Ballabhgarh plant near Delhi. According to the company, ARAI is currently testing the buses and homologation is expected to be completed by the time of launch.

The company has recently entered the bus segment with their CityLife diesel and CNG buses. The Noida Metro Rail Company has 105 of those buses operational currently.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 22:54   #2
BANNED

Re: JBM Auto to launch its first electric bus at 2018 Auto Expo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
JBM Auto had announced their joint venture with European bus manufacturer, Solaris Bus and Coach S.A. back in July 2016. Now, Nishant Arya, Executive Director, JBM Group has told the media that the company is planning to launch the EcoLife electric bus in India at the 2018 Auto Expo.

Attachment 1699993

The EcoLife electric bus will available in 12-metre and 9-metre variants with a seating capacity of 30-40 people depending on the variant. The electric buses will cost around Rs. 2.5-3 crore each.

The buses have been designed, engineered and manufactured at the company’s manufacturing facility in Kosi, Uttar Pradesh using technologies shared by Solaris as part of the joint venture. The company also has plans to export the electric buses to other right-hand drive markets in the Commonwealth.

The lithium-ion batteries for the bus are manufactured overseas using designs developed in-house at JBM Auto. Meanwhile, the bus bodies are being built at company's Ballabhgarh plant near Delhi. According to the company, ARAI is currently testing the buses and homologation is expected to be completed by the time of launch.

The company has recently entered the bus segment with their CityLife diesel and CNG buses. The Noida Metro Rail Company has 105 of those buses operational currently.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
Is it just me who thinks that these buses are way too costly? I mean 2.5 crores is a lot of money. Can anyone tell me about the normal cost of manufacturing a bus? Also, the first thing that came into my mind after reading the news was, that we never realise how time changes, we were the ones who removed electric trams from the roads to make "way" for gasoline powered cars. Now, again we are the same humans to bring back electric vehicles on road.
Simat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 23:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a lot of money to plonk into a city bus.

The high cost could be attributed to the fact that they are trying to cover up for the developmental costs of the project, which would have been sky high considering that it is an electric bus after all. Expect cheaper versions to be offered and other manufacturers to step in as well in the next decade or so.

I think the prices will slowly decrease with time and even the government may step in and offer incentives. Don't be surprised if a non AC stripped down version is also offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simat View Post
Is it just me who thinks that these buses are way too costly? I mean 2.5 crores is a lot of money. Can anyone tell me about the normal cost of manufacturing a bus? Also, the first thing that came into my mind after reading the news was, that we never realise how time changes, we were the ones who removed electric trams from the roads to make "way" for gasoline powered cars. Now, again we are the same humans to bring back electric vehicles on road.
2.5 Crores is surely a lot of money. The Volvo 9400 XL costs 88.85 lakhs ex-showroom for instance. (And I thought Volvos are expensive)

Unless the government offers incentives, bus operators might as well opt for something else. Additionally, maintenance costs are unchartered territory.

Last edited by vishy76 : 27th November 2017 at 23:44.
vishy76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 14:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Solaris Bus and Coach debuts electric bus for urban and intercity transport; low-entry 53- to 65-seater Urbino 15 LE does a few hundred kilometres on a single charge.

JBM Auto to launch its first electric bus at 2018 Auto Expo-20201021_135339.jpg

JBM Auto to launch its first electric bus at 2018 Auto Expo-20201021_135342.jpg

JBM Auto to launch its first electric bus at 2018 Auto Expo-20201021_135346.jpg

JBM Auto to launch its first electric bus at 2018 Auto Expo-20201021_135348.jpg

Quote:
The heart of the Urbino 15 LE electric is a 300 kW electric motor. To boost efficiency and to reduce energy consumption even further, the propulsion was made in the innovative SIC technology, i.e. by using silicon carbide-based circuits. The motor is liquid-cooled, whereas the driving power is transmitted to the second axle of the vehicle. Energy derived from a set of 6 batteries, with a total capacity of 470 kWh, is fed into the propulsion system. Four packs have been installed in the rear of the bus, the remaining two have been mounted on the roof.
https://www.autocarpro.in/news-inter...no-15-le-77523
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed