Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 18:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Domestic flights might soon get internet & telephony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
As far as I understand, Reliance JIO is not GSM. It's VoLTE, Voice over LTE ("Long-term Evolutions" technical name of 4G). This technology is well known as VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol). VoIP doesn't require roaming (GSM does). I don't think airline companies will be able to provide GSM connectivity in planes.
It is in fact GSM provided via roaming. I used it in one of the recent flights (Emirates). Roaming was provided via "OnAir". Cost was $4 per minute (on an AT&T SIM)

OnAir is a registered cell network like Vodafone or Etisalat. It creates a "picocell" GSM network in planes.

As long as the phone supports GSM (3G in newer versions), it can join the network.

More details here :

http://www.dassaultfalconservice.com...Board_2013.pdf
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 11:10   #17
BANNED

Quote:
As far as I understand, Reliance JIO is not GSM.
Risking of being OT here.
Reliance JIO and all other LTE network are indeed follow GSM standards. GSM is a standard defined by European telecom standard institute and other leading telecom companies in the world under a project called 3GPP. It covers from 1G (G stands for generation) with basic telephone calls till 4G and coming 5G networks.
4G technologies extensively improve the DATA speed over previous 3G. As per current Indian scenario, all operators apart for JIO have their 2G band allotted. Hence, they prefer to divert voice call via already existing 2G network and keep LTE band specifically for DATA. Now, as a new entrant, JIO does not have any 2G band. Hence, they wanted to exploit the capability of 4G to start VoIP. This is an interesting study indeed to see how efficiently their experiment goes on.

Quote:
However, once you have internet connectivity in planes, it is possible to use WhatsApp or Skype kind of VoIP services. To Avoid this, Airline companies should come up with app-based restriction in their internet service.
Restricted bandwidth would be an easy solution to discourage VoIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
It is in fact GSM provided via roaming. I used it in one of the recent flights (Emirates). Roaming was provided via "OnAir". Cost was $4 per minute (on an AT&T SIM)
Of-course it has to be roaming. To transmit from aircraft to ground network need to have a dedicated frequency band. This means the involvement of a clearing house and roaming.
Anyway, $4 comes something around 250/- Rupees, too much of money for a minute call. I guess we won’t be having life threatening disturbances.
PetrolRider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 17:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The government has cleared a much-awaited proposal to allow calls and internet services on the aircraft + , and the same should be rolled out over the next 3-4 months.

The high-powered inter-ministerial Telecom Commission, headed by Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan, approved the move which will allow you to use your smartphone once the aircraft achieves a height of 3,000 meters.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63985444.cms

Last I remember, in the US this is done via subscription to a particular service and wasn't free. Wonder how the implementation (and cost) will be here.
Old 24th May 2018, 13:30   #19
BHPian

As much as I hate the usage of phones on airplanes, one has to consider the counter argument that if people can be permitted to use their phones while traveling by rail or bus, why not on flights, too? Also, as seen in trains in the UK, why not provide for a quiet/silence zone inside the aircraft, where the passengers seated therein are not permitted to use phones? Perhaps, the airline could even sell those tickets at a premium? Also, isn’t there a possibility of airlines reducing spending on in flight entertainment and, perhaps, passing on the benefit of reduced maintenance costs to the passenger? Even if they don’t pass it on immediately, it could help reduce the dependence on in flight entertainment units to keep passengers preoccupied.

Not that I support the use of phones for making calls during flight. In fact, I was looking for online posts that would summarise my dislike for this practice: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ood-thing.html
Old 17th December 2018, 10:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Government notifies rules for in-flight, maritime mobile phone services

Quote:
People will soon be able to make calls and access the internet through their phones during air travel and ship voyage within Indian territory as the government has notified rules for providing such services.
Quote:
Indian and foreign airlines and shipping companies operating in the country can provide in-flight and maritime voice and data services in partnership with a valid Indian telecom licence holder.

"These rules may be called the Flight and Maritime Connectivity Rules, 2018. They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette," the notification dated December 14 said.

News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

I hope BSNL steps up to the challenge/opportunity.

Quote:
After a long wait, you will soon be able to surf the net while flying in and over Indian airspace. Inmarsat, among the the top global mobile satellite communications players, has announced that its Indian telecom partner BSNL has received an “in-flight and maritime connectivity” (IFMC) license from the department of telecommunications (DoT).
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68701539.cms
Old 8th April 2019, 23:36   #22
BHPian

Like most on board facilities, this too will be a paid service on most Indian airlines, and they will be charging a huge fee and make good ancillary revenue out of it.
The choice of internet on flights is always welcome. This will definitely benefit the corporate sector businessmen flying long domestic routes. But most passengers will not bother about this, as Indian air passengers are very cost conscious.
Old 28th December 2019, 13:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

Vistara might offer in-flight data access soon.

Quote:
Tata-Singapore Airlines owned Vistara is likely to become the first domestic airline to launch in-flight Wifi connectivity services. According to a top government official, Vistara has tied up with NELCON– a group Tata which is a VSAT solutions provider -- for the VSAT link and the airline has also been allocated spectrum from government.

The airline will be launching these services very shortly and will initially offer only in-flight data services. Data is as good as voice since customers can use over the top applications such as Whatsapp to make phone calls, telecom secretary Anshu Prakash said.
Get ready for a lot of disturbance while flying!

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/72994726.cms
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 13:34   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I hope this never happens. Atleast while in the air one gets to enjoy a little peace and quiet and sleep. If voice telephony were made available then that is the absolute END. We are a noisy talkative race of people as it is, even lacking the basic patience to wait till the aircraft comes to a halt before we whip out our phones and start yakking. Same way, keep yakking inconsequential trivia until the very last moment while the plane is quivering at the take off point.
Imagine how perfectly horrible it will be to have a cacophony of loud, harsh and strident voices in a myriad blessed languages, go yak yak yak at all odd hours in the enclosed confines of the aeroplane.

Even more so considering the unearthly timings of commuter flights which wage slaves and working dogs like myself, have to take - atleast that one or two hours of sleep inside the aircraft is a saving grace.

Now that peace will also be shattered, never to return...

My Apple Watch will go berserk measuring the Decibel level, thats for sure.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th December 2019 at 13:35.
Old 28th December 2019, 13:47   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I hope this never happens. Atleast while in the air one gets to enjoy a little peace and quiet and sleep. If voice telephony were made available then that is the absolute END.
Absolutely. Add to that, poor social awareness. I've had fellow passengers in India watching something on Netflix, without bothering to use headphones. Several years ago, I got myself Bose over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones; they're a blessing while traveling.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed