Team-BHP - Domestic flights might soon get internet & telephony
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Domestic flights might soon get internet & telephony (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/194657-domestic-flights-might-soon-get-internet-telephony.html)

I welcome the internet as it'll make flights more productive (work) or fun (videos, reading, social media etc.). But inflight telephone calls :Shockked:. Cattle-class just got worse! As if being packed like sardines wasn't enough, now it's going to be noisy as hell. Admit it = Indians aren't exactly famous for their civic sense. Imagine being stuck between two passengers speaking LOUDLY on their cellphones.

I hope the call prices are so high that no one uses it. On the other hand, I hope the internet packages are priced like Jio :D.

Source & Full Article

Quote:

Air travellers in India may soon have access to the internet and make calls from their mobile phones while flying. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on Friday recommended that in-flight connectivity — both Internet and MCA (mobile communication on aircraft) services — should be allowed over Indian airspace.

The decision will allow airlines to offer these services once they meet certain security norms. Internet access can be provided only when boarding is over and the aircraft is about to taxi. Mobile communication will be allowed when the aircraft has risen to about 3,000 metres in altitude. The 3000 metre minimum altitude restriction has been done to ensure “compatibility with terrestrial mobile networks”.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4344139)
being stuck between two passengers speaking LOUDLY on their cellphones.

You just defined a horrible flight.

Call charges should be in triple digits / minute - I hope they are... However, even if they have very high call charges and nominal internet charges, what stops anyone from using Whatsapp calling?

Quote:

....Indians aren't exactly famous for their civic sense. Imagine being stuck between two passengers speaking LOUDLY on their cellphones....

In my last month flight to Oman, I saw my co-passenger contacting his colleague to come and pick him from the airport as we had another 15 mts to landing. No clue how he got the Oman network at 10,000+ feet (I assume). And it was a normal samsung phone :)

Quote:

Cattle-class just got worse! As if being packed like sardines wasn't enough, now it's going to be noisy as hell. Admit it = Indians aren't exactly famous for their civic sense. Imagine being stuck between two passengers speaking LOUDLY on their cellphones.

Precisely what I thought as soon as I'd read the news about TRAI allowing this. And coupled with our inherent trait of showing off while in the airport or aircraft, cattle class will be no less than fish market with everyone calling their chachu, mama, bhaijaan informing that that are calling from plane.
Even Internet access will give rise to people moving around trying to get that perfect selfie and posting right away. :D

One silver lining though, it is being reported that Internet and call access will be priced at around 30% of ticket price in line with international practice. Hope that'll keep the madness in control to some extent.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62611187.cms

Internet might not be a bad option, but I really do not want to spend the flight listening to Saas Bahu gossips or someone discussing the latest soap updates :Frustrati
Maybe stupid:, but I really want at least the calls to be exorbitantly expensive so that not many people use it.

And I just HATE that JETSCREEN on Jet Flights.
One cant even sleep properly because next seat guy with his LIGHTED screen and headphone sounds is watching BIG BANG THEORY and I am wondering in my head, if I can BANG his head somewhere.
In fact in one my recent travels, a well dressed guy was watching video on full sound without headphones. After about two minutes, he got an ear full from a family travelling across the aisle.

Regards-Sonu

While Jet has already given us a teaser on how an internet-enabled flight will be courtesy JetScreen, a full-blown internet service should make for a different experience.

In the US, I've observed that internet-providers mention that certain websites/servers, such as streaming services, app/OS downloads, are disabled/allocated low bandwidth to avoid bandwidth hogging. Not seen a lot of people use telephony either.

Those that use this the most are typically consultants who use those couple of hours to finish off a presentation or tend to emails.

I've had complimentary wifi on flights within Europe (Lufthansa Economy) and the US and trust me, I didn't use more than a few minutes (typically to coordinate with my pick-up). I look forward to flights for some downtime and the last thing I'd want is going through some social media feed.

Quote:

Admit it = Indians aren't exactly famous for their civic sense. Imagine being stuck between two passengers speaking LOUDLY on their cellphones.

This. clap:clap:

Much as I'm appalled at the idea of one of the last sanctuaries being breached, I wonder at the technology for handling voice calls.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 4344153)
No clue how he got the Oman network at 10,000+ feet (I assume). And it was a normal samsung phone :)

Any GSM phone should work with GSM on planes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 4344307)
I wonder at the technology for handling voice calls.

Calls are routed via "roaming". Plane creates a "cell tower" that hands-off all the calls to satellite. These calls are really expensive.

Domestic flights might soon get internet & telephony-1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SITAOnAir
https://www.sitaonair.aero/products/.../mobile-onair/

Quote:

I hope the call prices are so high that no one uses it. On the other hand, I hope the internet packages are priced like Jio :D.

Source & Full Article

But if the internet is available, can't one make Whatsapp calls ? Why would a separate calling service be required unless the airline smartly blocks all such calling apps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 4344358)

Calls are routed via "roaming". Plane creates a "cell tower" that hands-off all the calls to satellite. These calls are really expensive.

As far as I understand, Reliance JIO is not GSM. It's VoLTE, Voice over LTE ("Long-term Evolutions" technical name of 4G). This technology is well known as VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol). VoIP doesn't require roaming (GSM does). I don't think airline companies will be able to provide GSM connectivity in planes. Of course, it will be very costly, the way roaming used to be costly during initial days.

However, once you have internet connectivity in planes, it is possible to use WhatsApp or Skype kind of VoIP services. To Avoid this, Airline companies should come up with app-based restriction in their internet service.

Quote:

I welcome the internet as it'll make flights more productive (work) or fun (videos, reading, social media etc.).

Source & Full Article

I for a change don't welcome this change. The fuselage will change into a fish market.

As far as the videos & movies are concerned, these days Amazon Prime, Youtube etc allow offline storage.

As it is most domestic flights are under 2 hours & with some going upto 3 hours. A person shouldn't have much of a problem without connectivity for such a short duration.

Ragards,

Pawan

Though I welcome internet on board, I am totally against enabling voice services, unless its ridiculously expensive for someone to use casually. For a short flight less than three hours, there is not a big deal to lose without voice connectivity. For any emergency information one can rely upon instant messaging, etc. If it is made available, then it should be expensive enough to discourage casual chit chat and only be used if something really has to be spoken about.

I already hate the kind of etiquette on domestic flights, and this will just make it worse. On the other hand, I am a regular user of internet on board international flights and they are decent enough to receive messages, mails and browsing. Since they are satellite connections, the connection isnt good enough to support video calls, though voice is good enough. However, I have tried voice only once through Skype and once through Facetime. That was because it was a half empty flight and there was no one around me. Else I hate disturbing my neighbours with a casual call without any purpose.

Needless to say, both Voice and Data is expensive on air for the quality of service it offers.

As it is, very few people follow the rules of switching off the phone or turning on the Airplane mode when flying.
I was once asked by a co-passenger about he getting the mobile signal when we were at cruising altitude :Frustrati
I was like, dude, did you understand what the poor air-hostess was screaming before taking off? And he was like, uh, no. Did not bother to listen. :Shockked:

Now with this, I am not sure I want to fly domestic anymore.
I would rather drive down there if I can.

As far as I know, the prices would be costly enough to deter cattle classes from more than a minute call. Again, WhatsApp calls or rather any other VOIP would not be available due to security measure IMO.
Infrastructure would be costly to deploy, at least in India. Operators have to cost accordingly in initial stages to recover ROI. There will be no Jio offers for sure; hence I believe situation would be contained.
On a different thought, it will give some shot in arm to already dying Indian telecom operators to boost some revenue. Eventually also contain the mass annihilation of telecom jobs. Technology advancement anyway will make this happen, if not today. I am accepting this change.