Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2018, 02:13   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Indian Civil Aviation

Indian Civil Aviation-iaf-hunter-kalaikunda-operation-shiksha.jpg

Indian Civil Aviation-iaf-hunters-kalaikunda.jpg

Hunters at Kalaikunda. "Operation Shiksha" with the RAF and USAF, Nov 1963.

More here from Bharat Rakshak:

https://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/vi...=1600#p2266561
travancore is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 09:05   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Travencore, many thanks. You are a reservoir of old valuable photos. In the top photo the tall young officer right in centre is Flight Lieut. AT Cooke who in 1965 engaged 3 Sabres on the Eastern front - shot down one, damaged a second and his wingman shot down the third. He later migrated to Australia. A couple of years ago, now in his seventies, he visited his old squadron. Photo below.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Civil Aviation-gnat-cooke-now.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 18:54   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Travencore, many thanks. You are a reservoir of old valuable photos. In the top photo the tall young officer right in centre is Flight Lieut. AT Cooke who in 1965 engaged 3 Sabres on the Eastern front - shot down one, damaged a second and his wingman shot down the third. He later migrated to Australia. A couple of years ago, now in his seventies, he visited his old squadron. Photo below.

The Air Commodore / AVM in the top photo looks like Arjan Singh.
Old 15th August 2018, 19:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^
Yes that's Arjan Singh. To best of my knowledge (open to correction) this was the last IAF exercise with the Americans till the 21st century and its RedFlag exercises in Alaska.

In this exercise at one air station the Yanks put up an impromptu 4 ship acrobatic display to impress us Indians. Now the fighter pilot with a small ego ain't been born yet :-). Next day the IAF put up an impromptu eight ship display!!

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th August 2018 at 19:40.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 03:14   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian Civil Aviation-iaf-otter-delivery.jpg

Indian Civil Aviation-iaf-packet.jpg

Indian Civil Aviation-iaf-pc-harlow.jpg

Some more "oldies" for you, Narayan
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 20:20   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Indian Civil Aviation-iaf-cooke-mamgain.jpg

Glamour boys, more importantly, heroes on wings
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 20:13   #37
PGA
BHPian

A concise piece on the history of IAF

http://aviationspottersonline.com/in...ch-black-2018/

Last edited by PGA : 4th September 2018 at 20:14.
PGA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 21:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post

Oh my lord, that Trisonics patch with T-Bone from Swat Kats!!! Swoon. I think I have a new favourite squadron. I'm so glad that our aviators have the time for some levity to their work. That show was a big favourite of mine as a child when we moved back to India. The Turbo Kat in hindsight certainly had themes of the F-14 and the big Sukhois about it so I love this little patch even more.

Also those early aviation advertisements were really lovely. I very much appreciated them. Must be getting caught up in the whole retro-cool fever..
ads11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 22:36   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

PGA, Many many thanks.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 11:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Imperial Airways' Hanibal plane's cabin.

Indian Civil Aviation-12129.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 10:38   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Beriev & Indian airlines in talks on the Be-200 jet powered flying boat

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...s-be-200-talks

Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation-owned Beriev has begun negotiating the sale for Be-200 amphibians with Indian regional airlines. The development follows the inclusion of seaplanes under the recently announced third phase of India’s Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS), which allows seaplanes to serve 18 routes.

Initially designed for fire extinguishing, the Be-200 has a practical range of ~1250 kms, carries ~ 65 to 70 passengers and can land on grass strips, ice-covered airfields and on water. This is a unique aircraft without the need to be based at an airport.The airplane can take off and land on water with a wave height of up to 1.3 metres. In size it lies between an ATR and an A320.

A little unlikely but still a very interesting aircraft if it comes to Indian skies.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Civil Aviation-_s5a9428_be200.jpg  

Indian Civil Aviation-1024802034.jpg  

Indian Civil Aviation-cf42cbe016946cab43b3a35d9e079f61.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 18:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Beriev & Indian airlines in talks on the Be-200 jet powered flying boat

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...s-be-200-talks

A little unlikely but still a very interesting aircraft if it comes to Indian skies.
This really is a curious aircraft. My first thought upon seeing it was what happened to the Shinmaywa US-2 amphibian transport deal?
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...us-2-d-453978/

Quote:
For several years, New Delhi and Tokyo have had government-to-government discussions about a potential deal for nine aircraft. Should this move forward, Shinmaywa would partner with Mahindra Defence Systems for local production.

Tanaka(MD at Shinmaywa) calls the India deal “very important” for the US-2’s future.
All that being said, I guess in the case of this particular Beriev, I get the vibe it might be that reliable rugged cart horse of a jet. If it has a credible operational record, I think this might be one of the lesser complained about purchases. Clearly the Japanese haven't really got their act together,
Quote:
The company has delivered six examples to the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force
I think this could be a safe bet for Beriev. Just don't fleece us and deliver on time and let's both have a small but probably useful win win
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 19:32   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

The US-2 discussion is to enable India fulfill its air to sea rescue responsibilities in this region. Our air to sea rescue area as per international agreement extends almost all the way to Mauritius and most of Bay of Bengal. I think the Be-200 news is the usual optimistic press releases that happen around Aero India. But if it were to come I would be an excited school boy.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 19:39   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Today is the 100th anniversary of the world's first ever commercial passenger flight

Air Travel & Transport Ltd operated the first regularly scheduled passenger air service from London to Paris on 25th August 1919. The flight took 2 hours and 30 minutes and a passengers fare was the equivalent of GBP 1000 today. The aircraft was a First World War De Havilland DH-4A carrying the tail number G-EAJC and powered by a single Rolls Royce piston engine of 375 horse power. The pilot was Flight Lieut Bill Lawford who sat in an open unheated cockpit upfront right behind the unsilenced engine. Talk of NVH. The views of the passengers have not been recorded but it is believed all reached Paris safely and without throwing up and enjoyed a great view out of the curtained windows. Air Travel & Transport morphed into Imperial Airways the fore runner of BOAC and today's British Airways.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Civil Aviation-http___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_190823175359firstscheduledintlflight19191.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 12:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
https://medium.com/@admiralcloudberg...9-c61094867d45

Just read this story about near crash of Air Canada at SFO and found it quite spine chilling. Sharing it coz I feel there is lessons in it for all of us especially when I read stories of crazy 18 / 22 hour drives on TBHP.

PS The comments made above are not with malice or sarcasm towards anyone driving long but just want to highlight a possible consequence.
Thanks PGA sir.

holy!! Roughly 10 - 12 feet of seperation at the end and descending at 8ft/min is indeed closer than what the report makes us feel. The Phillipines crew must have started their prayers already. The crews who were on ground must have had a trauma and yet they still had a flight of over 12 hours ahead of them. I can say from my personal experience of flying (satellites) and working at changing work times, that the circuardian low can affect one's judgement a lot more than one can imagine. At my work place, we have a strict rule that anyone working for over 10h 45m shall be sent home immediately and if situation does not permit that then anyone working over 11h 30m, shall not be allowed to drive home on his own instead, he/she is adviced/granted the taxi fare.

A lot of People (in my friends and family circle) working in India always underestimate this factor. They work for over 12 hours in front of a computer in a very stressed environment and then after only about 4 - 6 hours of sleep start on a road-trip. Extremely dangerous.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 28th August 2019 at 12:47.
AlphaKilo is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed