Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 22:20   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Indian Civil Aviation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
What about the profits sir? Just to get an idea, what's ideally the profit margin in this business in terms of %age. A rough figure will be enough to deliver me the satisfaction.
For a really really well run airline net profit after tax would be ~5% of revenues. For most more like 2%.
Old 6th April 2020, 22:40   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Using that opportunity to do a paint job is like saying, with reference to cars, we need to get the fan belt replaced and using the visit to the service centre to repaint he car
The more I think about it I start to see your point. Well put!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Further to V.Narayan comments; The bump you are referring is not necessarily for WiFi only. It is essentially a Satcom antenna (underneath). They can be fitted quite quickly. The paperwork necessary might take longer to produce...Jeroen
That's really cool! I imagine your friend is kept pretty busy considering how many airlines need to retrofit the necessary kit to their airframes. On the topic of weight and balance, I imagine that's why we see different airframes have the bump mounted in different locations of the fuselage?

I realise I was simply saying wifi but basically that satcom antenna is what enables the data link correct? For all the streaming and internet needs of the patrons aboard. Silly of me to picture a router somewhere in the cabin. Can't imagine you'll have your 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz routers doing the job in that setting considering how important different bands are for more essential tasks.

It makes me wonder how the entertainment systems are structured on flights. From the many times on Air India I've witnessed what I can only imagine is a system reboot for whatever media hub they have, the main data and compute power must be held centrally? All we see on seat backs are the terminals right? It's what I always think of when I realise that the head unit isn't Actually akin to an iPad slapped to the back of a seat. Sorry I digressed a bit.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:56   #108
Team-BHP Support

Moderator Note: Moved all the Air India One posts to this thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...india-one.html

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd June 2020 at 17:59.
Old 8th June 2020, 18:11   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

72nd Anniversary of Air India's first international flight

Today, 72 years ago, Air India flew its first international flight – from Bombay to London - a milestone in the history of Indian civil aviation.

On the evening of June 8, 1948, Air India's newly acquired Lockeed Constellation 749 called 'Malabar Princess' made a historic journey from Bombay to London via Cairo and Geneva. The flight was commanded by Captain BR Gazdar. On board were 35 passengers including JRD Tata himself. Air India as it was then under JRD was as great a contributor to national development as any PSU could be. Always wondered why it was nationalized in 1953. What purpose did that serve other than give more power to bureaucrats and ministers.

Indian Civil Aviation-.malabarprincess.jpg
The aircraft named the 'Malabar Princess'

Indian Civil Aviation-.-capt-kr-gazdar.jpg
Capt KR Gazdar, the man of the moment

Indian Civil Aviation-.-first-crew.jpg
The first crew, as photographed by the Captain.

Indian Civil Aviation-944261_258872164254659_1460938862_n.jpgCommemorative stamp to mark this milestone

Indian Civil Aviation-constellation-7.jpg
Desk top model of this historic aircraft. One of my favourites.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 8th June 2020 at 18:25.
V.Narayan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 19:17   #110
BHPian

V.Narayan Sir, out of curiosity, where can you purchase model planes as the one you have shown?
DrPriyankT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 21:59   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

www.aircraftmodelstore.co.uk

www.aviationretaildirect.com

www.collectableaircraftwingsaustralia.com.au

www.corgi.co.uk

For custom made models I use FDM
www.factorydirectmodels.com

For within India try www.dbjets.com

The last mentioned is based in Mumbai and Darshan Bangera the proprietor is quite a co-operative person. That may be the right place to start.

Join the gang; be prepared to empty your purse :-)
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 22:28   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

6th June is an important date for our very own Alouette Cheetah. The Cheetah as we know has performed yeoman service to the Indian Army with its high altitude payload transport missions carried out day in and day out for now 49 years.

On this day in 1955 the second prototype of the Alouette II was powered by the Artouste II turboshaft. It was the first turbine powered helicopter in history to enter service. Piloted by Jean Boulet the Chief Test Pilot of Aerospatiale {then known as SNCASE and later Sud Aviation} the Alouette II reached an altitude of 27,100 feet! -- incredible even today and more so 65 years ago.

This laid the foundation for our Cheetah. When the IAF sought a light helicopter capable of landing and taking off from over 18,000 feet and hovering in ground effect at those altitudes Aerospatiale had an answer. Aerospatiale married the Aloutte II airframe with the Aloutte III’s more powerful Artouste IIIB engine flat rated at 550 shp which translates to developing 550 shp at sea level at 57 degrees C! Jean Boulet, became one of the foremost helicopter pilots ever setting some 24 FAI records for choppers. He died at the age of 90 in 2011. The tireless Cheetah lives on.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 11:02   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This laid the foundation for our Cheetah. When the IAF sought a light helicopter capable of landing and taking off from over 18,000 feet and hovering in ground effect at those altitudes Aerospatiale had an answer. Aerospatiale married the Aloutte II airframe with the Aloutte III’s more powerful Artouste IIIB engine
Yes, it a very lesser know fact!!!The development of the Cheetah/SA-315B Lama was initiated by Aerospatiale in the late 60s specifically to meet a requirement of the Indian Armed Forces for a lightweight helicopter capable of effective operations in the high mountains. Ironically, as there was no other helicopter capable of doing what the Lama could, it is/was being used by Pakistan in the same role (and supplimented/replaced by the AS350) !!!!

In 1970, an agreement was signed between HAL & Aerospatiale for supply and license manufacture of the Lama in India and it was christened Cheetah in Indian service.

The Cheetahs of IAF's 141 HU & 131 FAC flight played a major role in the success of Operation Meghdoot and are critical in maintaining the airbridge between Siachen Glacier and India. 114 Helicopter Unit of the IAF proudly call themselves 'The Siachen Pioneers". Their Cheetahs (which could apart from the two pilots, carry only two soldiers at a time, spearheaded the troop induction and casualty evacuation from Siachen Glacier.

In early 2000s, a modernisaton programme for the Cheetah was launched. The Cheetal is the re-engined and modernized version of the Cheetah helicopter. The Cheetah's engine was replaced with the modern and fuel efficient TM333 engine from the Dhruv ALH.

This incident was very strange:

Quote:
Piloted by Jean Boulet the Chief Test Pilot of Aerospatiale {then known as SNCASE and later Sud Aviation} the Alouette II reached an altitude of 27,100 feet! -- incredible even today and more so 65 years ago.
The same pilot still holds the absolute altitude record which still stands today. If I recall correctly, he made the Lama go up to an altitude of 40,000+ feet. Soon after it reached that altitude, the engine flamed out. The pilot brought the Lama to an unpowered and safe landing, setting another record for the highest altitude autorotation!!!!

Last edited by skanchan95 : 9th June 2020 at 11:09.
skanchan95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 11:17   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The same pilot still holds the absolute altitude record which still stands today. If I recall correctly, he made the Lama go up to an altitude of 40,000+ feet. Soon after it reached that altitude, the engine flamed out. The pilot brought the Lama to an unpowered and safe landing, setting another record for the highest altitude autorotation!!!!
OMG!!! What a pilot. What a man. You always are full of factoids. I never knew this. Now I do:-). When did this incident of landing in Pakistan happen? It almost always helps to believe your instruments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
In early 2000s, a modernisaton programme for the Cheetah was launched. The Cheetal is the re-engined and modernized version of the Cheetah helicopter. The Cheetah's engine was replaced with the modern and fuel efficient TM333 engine from the Dhruv ALH.
I love the looks of the HAL developed Lancer/Cheetal with its reinforced glass cockpit transparency and light pylon armament of LMG/HMGs.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Civil Aviation-oip.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by V.Narayan : 9th June 2020 at 11:23.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 17:12   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When did this incident of landing in Pakistan happen? It almost always helps to believe your instruments.
It was in 2011 or 2012. I remember there was a lot of controversy surrounding that incident. The Pakistanis claimed that they forced the helicopter to land after it strayed into POK and threatened to shoot it down(they had shot down indian Cheetahs like this before) which forced the crew to land in POK. While the Indian Army claimed the helicopter lost its way in bad weather. The crew on board were flying to a location in Kashmir to repair a stranded Cheetah when this incident happened.

There was controversy again later when it was claimed that the four onboard were interrogated vigorously by the Pakistan Army and that the helicopter was inspected thoroughly by them and some data or papers were missing from the helicopter.

Quote:
I love the looks of the HAL developed Lancer/Cheetal with its reinforced glass cockpit transparency and light pylon armament of LMG/HMGs.
It looks lovely and it is also an ideal and effective FAC platform.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 9th June 2020 at 17:13.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 18:42   #116
Team-BHP Support

Found an interesting promo video by Dassault Aviation showcasing the Rafale phases:

moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 19:05   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Found an interesting promo video by Dassault Aviation showcasing the Rafale phases]
Excellent video sir. Thanks for sharing it! I hope this beast flies over Pangong and Galwan soon to show who's boss. And I pray to the almighty that we get 114 more of these beasts!

Last edited by Sheel : 13th June 2020 at 19:27. Reason: Please avoid quoting video's URL in your quoted post. Thank You.
Old 13th June 2020, 19:49   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Found an interesting promo video by Dassault Aviation showcasing the Rafale phases:
Thank you for sharing this. From what little I know about aircraft and Dassault we chose the right aircraft for our needs and the right nation to partner with. The French have always supported us even in tricky geo-political situations and we've had solid reliable experience with them across 3 fighters and 2 choppers since 1953. I prefer them any day to the Americans. The French deal in a practical way. You sign a contract; they honour it. They don't pretend to be the keeper of the world's morals. My fervent wish now is that we go in for license production and go beyond our 114 number.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 20:00   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
go beyond our 114 number.
On the 114, financial closure reached?

Sutripta
Old 13th June 2020, 20:09   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you for sharing this. From what little I know about aircraft and Dassault we chose the right aircraft for our needs and the right nation to partner with.
Completely with you on this. Would you know if the tail numbers are initials of our current Air chief who was instrumental in getting the Rafales for our air force?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks