Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 12:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Magic Express (with hard-top)

I love vans and see that they have immense potential in terms of being a camper vehicle. However, markets do not agree with me. After a failed attempt with the Tata Venture, they have again launched a low frills variant of the Venture (or let's call it Magic with hardtop) - the Tata Magic Express.

Can someone tell me if this is available with "white plates"?
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Magic Express (with hard-top)-emi_bannermob.jpg  

amtak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 12:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Magic Express (with hard-top)

Well, I would prefer the Tata Winger over the venture/Magic any day.

The Winger has a proper 2 liter 90ps/190nm engine, seating for 9-10 people, a Monocoque chassis and proper tyres.
You can even take it on long highway runs.

The Magic is just too crude for any sort of personal use, with it's terribly unrefined 800cc 2 Cylinder engine, puny tyres etc.
abhishek46 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 12:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post

The Magic is just too crude for any sort of personal use, with it's terribly unrefined 800cc 2 Cylinder engine, puny tyres etc.
Indeed, my point is, why aren't anyone trying to make a comfortable van for masses. Maruti to some extent has succeeded with the Ecco but it doesnt have a power steering and too basic interiors.
amtak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 12:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Indeed, my point is, why aren't anyone trying to make a comfortable van for masses. Maruti to some extent has succeeded with the Ecco but it doesnt have a power steering and too basic interiors.
Versa had decent features, but that did not sell well. People who want a low priced family van with decent features can always opt for a pre-owned Ertiga.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Versa had decent features, but that did not sell well. People who want a low priced family van with decent features can always opt for a pre-owned Ertiga.
Yes, but Ertiga cannot be a camper van; while Eeco/Evalia could be. Instagram is filled with modded Evalias that are being used as Camper vans worldwide. Versa, has decent features and maruti should consider offering a higher variant in the Eeco.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but Ertiga cannot be a camper van; while Eeco/Evalia could be. Instagram is filled with modded Evalias that are being used as Camper vans worldwide. Versa, has decent features and maruti should consider offering a higher variant in the Eeco.
India, as a market, is not matured enough for a product like a van. The demand for camper vehicles are too low. For that demand, we have custom designers who use the Tempo Traveller or a Winger and build their vehicles. General opinion about a van or a van look-alike is boring, utilitarian, people or goods mover. But when we make any vehicle purchase, we tend to give some importance to the looks and image of a vehicle. This is where Evalia or Versa would fail.

Omni or Eeco has been successful as they have found more acceptance for commercial use than personal use. For such a buyer, a low cost and low maintenance are important criteria while features can be foregone. Again this is where Evalia, Versa or even Enjoy failed.

These are my opinion but I could be wrong.
Old 31st May 2018, 15:11   #7
BHPian

Also, the lack of camping infrastructure precludes most people from buying camping vehicles. Unlike the RVs in the US, these vehicles are bare minimum.

Also in India we dont have camp sites that offer electricity, sewage facilities etc. So, is it any wonder that camping vehicles don't sell.
motorguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 16:17   #8
BHPian

If you want a campervan then Maruti Suzuki Eeco is the best option and there are no two sides to it. The 1.2/1.3 (not sure) petrol engine is extremely rev happy and smooth to drive. And there is oodles of cargo space for you to modify once you remove the rear seats. Plus it comes with some bells and whistles too ( Just air conditioning and power steering).

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 1st June 2018 at 16:18. Reason: punctuation
Old 1st June 2018, 17:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Plus it comes with some bells and whistles too ( Just air conditioning and power steering).
It doesn't have a power steering and that is where the problem is!
amtak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 20:18   #10
BANNED

Quote:
I love vans and see that they have immense potential in terms of being a camper vehicle.
It is possible to register it with white plates but camping in India is a concept that hasn't taken off because of the lack of a camping culture and the associated infrastructure that is required for it.

A few examples: -

1. Toilets.
2. Designated camping spots with proper barbecue points, charging points etc.
3. Allowing campers to camp on our farms/estates AND their dignity in leaving the campsite as clean it was when they arrived.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 20:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I love vans and see that they have immense potential in terms of being a camper vehicle. However, markets do not agree with me. After a failed attempt with the Tata Venture, they have again launched a low frills variant of the Venture (or let's call it Magic with hardtop) - the Tata Magic Express.
Yes, this can be registered as a White board.

But ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Well, I would prefer the Tata Winger over the venture/Magic any day.

The Winger has a proper 2 liter 90ps/190nm engine, seating for 9-10 people, a Monocoque chassis and proper tyres.
The Winger is far better. It is also available with the Dicor engine, and in a longer body. The longer version would have more space for conversion. You could this for customization.
Old 1st June 2018, 20:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I love vans and see that they have immense potential in terms of being a camper vehicle. Can someone tell me if this is available with "white plates"?
Vans excite me too, and for the same reason - Camping.
I guess SAFETY is the prime reason why we don't go camping anywhere.

If rural india were to host camping sites, camping would slowly catchup.

Magic express is the 40hp variant, and should have good amount of power.
But solely as a personal camper van, Mahindra Supro is better since it has optional AC and comes with EPS.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 22:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes, this can be registered as a White board.

But ..
The Winger is far better. It is also available with the Dicor engine, and in a longer body. The longer version would have more space for conversion. You could this for customization.
AFAIK it is ONLY available with 2.2 Varicor in 120 bhp trim now? Actually quite tempting because my ambulance ride in one of those was nothing short of spectacular.

Wasnt there another of these little vans called Venture with the 1.5 Dicor? This was around the time when Tata had dozens of vehicles running on each platform with multiple engine combos like 1.5 NA, 1.5 Turbo, 1.5 Dicor. I don't think they had any product management discipline at that point.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st June 2018 at 22:15.
Old 1st June 2018, 22:28   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
AFAIK it is ONLY available with 2.2 Varicor in 120 bhp trim now? Actually quite tempting because my ambulance ride in one of those was nothing short of spectacular.
A good vehicle that's let down by the styling. it's too boxy to be considered as a personal vehicle, while the operators are clocking miles by the ton.

Last I checked, they had listed both the 2 litre TCIC and the 2.2 Varicor, possibly targeted at the commercial and personal markets.

Quote:
Wasnt there another of these little vans called Venture with the 1.5 Dicor? This was around the time when Tata had dozens of vehicles running on each platform with multiple engine combos like 1.5 NA, 1.5 Turbo, 1.5 Dicor. I don't think they had any product management discipline at that point.
Venure and Ace variants had the 1.4L based engines. Tata's 1.5 Dicor came with the Nexon.
Old 2nd June 2018, 20:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, 1948 CC TCIC is also available.

Quote:
Actually quite tempting because my ambulance ride in one of those was nothing short of spectacular.

Ambulance ride? All well?

Ride refinement is attributable to the first-world origin of the product which in France and elsewhere had considerable non-goods use.

Quote:
Venture was derived from Super Ace which, I suspect, was developed mainly for the Korean market where they own Daewoo CV. Engine was Indica's 1.4 initially which became 1.4 Dicor later. There was no 1.5 ever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks