Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2018, 01:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition

Lets start with the basics, what the hell is Trekkertrek? It’s the Dutch name for Tractor pulling.

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Truck and Tractor pulling, also known as power pulling, is a motorsport competition, popular in the United States, Canada, Europe (especially in the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark and Germany), Australia and Brazil, and New Zealand which requires modified tractors to pull a heavy sled along a 35 foot wide, 330 foot long track, with the winner being the tractor that pulls the sled the farthest. The sport is known as the world's most powerful motorsport, due to the multi-engined modified tractor pullers.

All tractors in their respective classes pull a set weight in the sled. When a tractor gets to the end of the 100 metre track, this is known as a "full pull". When more than one tractor completes the course, more weight is added to the sled, and those competitors that moved past 300 feet will compete in a pull-off; the winner is the one who can pull the sled the farthest.

The sled is known as a weight transfer sled. This means that as it is pulled down the track, the weight is transferred (linked with gears to the sled’s wheels) from over the rear axles and towards the front of the sled. In front of the rear wheels, there is a "pan". This is essentially a metal plate and as the weight moves over this the resistance builds. The farther the tractor pulls the sled, the more difficult it gets.

The most powerful tractors, such as those in the 4.5 modified class in Europe, can produce over 10,000 horsepower.
When we moved back from the UK to the Netherlands in 1986 we ended up in the south of the Netherlands. Trekker trek were hugely popular. In those days it was very simple. On a Sunday the farm lads would all rock up to a field and do some pulling. It was great fun. My boys would love it. The would be allowed to sit in the tractor! I guess all little boys like big machines.

This Sunday was father day, so I had the day to myself. In the morning I visited “Classic Cars & Aeroplanes” (still have to put a thread up) and in the afternoon I went to the Trekkertrek. It was held in Made which is about 37km from our home, by bicycle. Nice bike ride.

Trekertrek is still very popular and it has moved on a lot since then. It is still attracts mostly folks with agricultural background. Both the competitors and the public at large. The venue is always some huge field. They put up some tents, some kiddy rides, lots of fast food joints and every market stall sells beer. (Sorry mods, but that is just how these events are here in the Netherlands.) Everybody walks around with at least one glass of beer. Most with a glass of beer in both hands. I have never ever seen anybody drunk. These are some of the most easy going and relaxed family events you can think of. And yes, whole families come and spend the day. Obviously, when there is driving and drinking involved everybody’s turns up on their bicycles. More bicycles all over the place than cars.

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176148.jpg

Right away, as I passed the ticket control this monster was displayed:

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176150.jpg

As I said, lots of entertainment for the kiddies, like these elastic band / trampoline / jump thingies!

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176155.jpg

But let’s get down to business. This venue is massive. It has three parallel tracks. And they run (more or less) stock tractors, modified tractors and special purpose built tractors. They run all three tracks in parallel. So there is a constant stream of activity. As you will see there are more tractors than you go shake a stick at. Not just the tractors doing the actual pulling. Lots of tractors on hand to help out, level the track, pull up the sled etc.

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176168.jpg

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176167.jpg

Some of these purpose built tractors are just insane:

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176171.jpg

There is just so much to see, it is just staggering;

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176172.jpg

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176173.jpg

Did I mention how popular these events are? Huge crowd, lots of families, lots of farm boys and their girls friends. In these communities this is THE big event!

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176174.jpg

And I will say it again. Some of these tractors are just insane:

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176175.jpg

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176178.jpg

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176180.jpg

When it comes to powering these monsters, anything goes. And we mean anything. You have a jet turbine? Stick it on a tractor frame. You have five V-8s lying around? Put them on a tractor frame, obviously.

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176182.jpg

As I said earlier, this is very much a family event. So the kiddies have their own track, their own special sled. This boy was probably 7-8 years old. They had to put some pretty big wooden blocks on the pedals so he can drive this thing. But boy, did he drive.

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176158.jpg

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176163.jpg

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176165.jpg
Jeroen is online now   (47) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 01:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition

Some more impressions:

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176183.jpg

And this is what the pulling looks like:

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176184.jpg

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176195.jpg

The noise these things make is just unbelievable. Lots of people are wearing hearing protection. Specially the kiddies!

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176192.jpg

You could hear and smell this event from miles away!

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176196.jpg

A little boy dreaming on driving these monsters in the years to come:

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176190.jpg

I really enjoyed my time. It was very different from last time, some 20 years ago. Much more professional, so it lost a bit of it’s rural charm. But it still is a very rural event. People are here to enjoy themselves, eat a lot, drink a lot, make sure the kids have a good time. Dads are shuttling back and forth between the fair and the track with their kids. And most of the kids are very much into this TrekkerTrek too!

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-p6176199.jpg

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (61) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 07:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Commercial Vehicles. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 09:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

Punjabi style Tractor pulling - it is more like a tug of war though.

SmartCat is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 09:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
A little boy dreaming on driving these monsters in the years to come:
Aren't we all little boys at heart?

I just couldn't resist the urge to go on Youtube and search for the videos of the event, and I wasn't disappointed at all.

blackwasp is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 18:16   #6
BHPian

Re: Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition

Dear Sir,
Many thanks for sharing this. I was in awe all the way reading this thread. What a wonderful way to entertain everyone from something that is mostly considered as for agricultural use "only". Though such events do exists in India in states of Punjab & Hariyana (VDO's by smartcat), but never these events are promoted to large scales so that it can attract more crowds (&/or Funds). Thanks again.

The last time that I saw "any" engine spitting out suck large amount of black smoke; were from the famous (now defunct or part of museums) Indian Railways' Steam Engines. Picture attached for comparison. I can guess some of these tractors may have more horse-power than the steam engine (the image of a tractors with 5 engines on it).

(both images copyrighted to actual uploader

Dutch Trekkertrek - Tractor pulling competition-compare.jpg

Sarcastically speaking another source of suck black smoke are visible daily in and around Hinjewadi Pune : they are so called six seaters, which fill in 10 passengers to ferry around the IT park

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 18th June 2018 at 18:20.
saurabh2711 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 12:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
The last time that I saw "any" engine spitting out suck large amount of black smoke; were from the famous (now defunct or part of museums) Indian Railways' Steam Engines. D
When it comes to spitting out large amount of black smoke, the Americans (of course) lead the world with their so called “Rolling coal” modification.

Have a look. After a short intro the video start after 1 minute.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 18:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Lets start with the basics, what the hell is Trekkertrek? It’s the Dutch name for Tractor pulling.
Where is this?
I see another event on 29th at Soest, which is close to where I work - http://www.powerweekendsoest.nl/?catid=1
Old 19th June 2018, 19:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Where is this?

I see another event on 29th at Soest, which is close to where I work - http://www.powerweekendsoest.nl/?catid=1

The event I visited was In Made, Brabant. Just North of Breda. The one in Soest looks very similar, maybe a somewhat smaller scale. Apparently, the one in Made is one of the largest in Europe.

Go and visit, it should be fun!

Enjoy Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 13:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

W O W !!!

Did you get to see the rotary engine tractor perform? What was it an engine from an old WW-II airplane
Old 20th June 2018, 14:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
W O W !!!

Did you get to see the rotary engine tractor perform? What was it an engine from an old WW-II airplane

Yes, it did run, but not very successfully. It broke down within a few metres. It might well be from a WW2 plane, or maybe a bit later. These engines were used on many planes in the 50-60s too
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 20:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
W O W !!!

Radial, I would think.

Some of the 'tractors' are built on the line of 'dragsters'.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th June 2018, 09:03   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My mistake - Yes I meant to say Radial.

Looked at the pictures again and I do not think fuel or KITNA DETI HAI matters to participants.
Old 28th June 2018, 10:35   #14
BANNED

Jeroen,

What the hell do those guys do for a living. This sure isn't a cheap hobby. Either they're all neurologists, cardiologists, business magnates or the sponsors cover them.

Just thinking about the fuel bill hurts me.

P.S.: Are these guys the "dutch" rednecks/hillbillies as they have in America ? Or are they city people that are as modern. In America most of the country farmer folk are into these kind of things .

Last edited by D33-PAC : 28th June 2018 at 10:37.
Old 28th June 2018, 12:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
What the hell do those guys do for a living. This sure isn't a cheap hobby. Either they're all neurologists, cardiologists, business magnates or the sponsors cover them.

Just thinking about the fuel bill hurts me.

P.S.: Are these guys the "dutch" rednecks/hillbillies as they have in America ? Or are they city people that are as modern. In America most of the country farmer folk are into these kind of things .
No it is not a cheap hobby, although a lot of it depends on which class you race. The more special, the more expensive.

Traditionally it was farmers that started this. Just normal tractors, nothing special. I still think there are a lot of farmers involved and quite a few other type of companies that are closely associated with farming. E.g. trucking, glass houses builders, seed/crop suppliers, logistic services, farm automations etc. Redneck/hillbillies is more an American phenomena than European. In Europe most of the farming community tends to be Religious, God fearing, law abiding, role model type of citizens. Mostly very traditional. You won't find them on youtube, other than on the TrekkerTrek!

Farming in the Netherlands comes in all sort of sizes. The big farmers run what is essentially a huge company. There is very serious money/capital involved. Some of them has this as a hobby. there is also quite a bit of sponsoring involved as well

Fuel is the least of your worries in these races, see below

Quote:
Looked at the pictures again and I do not think fuel or KITNA DETI HAI matters to participants.
Fuel is really of no consequences. It is a very short run, 100m and relatively speaking they burn a lot in terms of l/km, but still in absolute terms it is very little.

Reliability is the main worry. Especially in these special classes. It is only 100m, but when you unleash these sort of phenomenal powers from the engine to a chassis, tires, it is anybodies guess what might happy.

I did not see any spectacular failings, but in the short two hours i attended, several of the tractors simply did not make the finish line.

Have a look at some of the more spectacular failings around the world and you begin to understand that the fuel bill is really not an issue for these guys.

Enjoy!
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks