Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2018, 18:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A woman's experience in getting a heavy vehicle licence

This is one of the most interesting threads I have come across in the recent past. Way to go!
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 19:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP Ma'am. Looking forward for your travelogues. If I am not mistaken, aren't you the one who took GQ with Ajay Jagga Sir and also a member of Roadgraphers ?
No BB311, I was not with Ajay on his GQ. He did the fastest GQ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
This is one of the most interesting threads I have come across in the recent past. Way to go!

Thank you Amitoj. I am glad

Day 7
Drive on the roads , and the figure 8 . Getting the hang of it now. And did I tell you guys that when you reverse here you donot have the proverbial conductor blowing the whistle and guiding you from behind. You are on your own with only the side view mirrors to guide you.
Tomorrow is Sunday . Feels so nice not to have to get up at 4.30. Will sleep and sleep and then sleep some more. 1 week down , 4 more to go .
In the picture , 4 out of the 5 instructors (mine is the one on the extreme left. All of them masters in their craft .

A woman's experience in getting a heavy vehicle licence-imageuploadedbyteambhp1532162463.974655.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st July 2018 at 14:37. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Maverick!! is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 17:28   #18

2 weeks done out of the 5 . Now driving on the roads of Gurgaon - even the congested ones . A little shaky at times but slowly the confidence is building up . I am still averse to the top gear but I am sure its a matter of days.
Today we had a Gender Sensitisation Class. Interesting concept, a no holds barred talk, gave quite an insight into the minds of the people. They are still far away from a change in mind set. But if this program makes even one person get out of the class and atleast give what was said a thought, I would say its a win for the program.A woman's experience in getting a heavy vehicle licence-imageuploadedbyteambhp1532692686.145182.jpg
Maverick!! is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 21:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Though we had lost you to the rigours of driver training program. Nice to know the range of topics covered under training.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 16:44   #20
BHPian

Lovely thread. I shall try to keep abreast!

I shall be looking out for the day when the training is over. Then I will be interested in the stupid question "How do you feel?"
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 19:17   #21

Day 18 today. Just crossed the halfway mark. The nervousness has gone away. Not afraid to take on traffic areas. Now when I sit behind the wheel its like - bring it on! I am so loving it.
Interestingly, my concept of badi gaadi has changed completely. My Scorpio is no longer badi gaadi! Its all about perception I guess.
Maverick!! is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 23:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

That is so little after so many days....great to know the progress and confidence. How many people in the batch to start with and how many are left?
Old 2nd August 2018, 06:36   #23

Sudev Sir , there are a total of 80 in my batch and shift. 5 buses , 16 people each. Mine started with 15 as one guy did not come from the start . But all going strong. Yes there are degrees of learning amongst us. If I am to compare myself, abilities lie somewhere between the middle and the super. But in all fairness there guys who have been driving bigger vehicles before they came for the license.
Maverick!! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 07:49   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Training must have ended now? Your updates have been missing.
Old 12th August 2018, 06:46   #25

4 weeks gone, 4 days more to go . I finish on the 17th. Other then the usual 20-25 minutes of driving we had a session on de-addiction. The last week now is mostly going to be finer things - manoeuvring barricades, mastering the figure 8 . We have done these but since these are what the Roadways entrance exam is all about they will be spending some more time on it.
After this training finishes , we will have to go to Bahadurgarh one day for a session on traffic rules and all. Once that is done , we can apply for the permanent license . I am glad its almost over. Never realised its going to be like this. The weather never helped too. But I am not a quitter, and I think that is the only thing that kept me going .
Maverick!! is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 12:45   #26
BHPian

Extremely interesting thread! Thanks for your regular updates! Looks like the license process is extremely rigorous in your state.

I just hope more states follow this example. In TN, I got my heavy vehicle license through just a single road test (driving on the highway, braking at times - that's it).

There are a couple of excellent driver training institutes in the state but unless the government mandates such a course, it won't happen.

Please keep sharing!
Old 16th August 2018, 19:14   #27

My 35 days get over tomorrow. Inspite of all the heat, humidity, dust, sunburns, and not to miss sleep deprivation , I have loved every moment of it. Of course I had to earn my repect in what is essentially a very male-centric environment. I thought I felt like a Queen driving my Scorpio , but being perched at that height, driving a bus , takes feeling like a Queen to another level. I just feel like I was meant to do this. All the sweat and toil has been so totally worth it . One thing I was hoping they would have had sessions on was basic trouble shooting and repairing but that was missing. Now another 15-20 days for the license and before that a session on traffic rules and etiquettes at the Maruti training School in Bahadurgarh.
Maverick!! is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 20:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick!! View Post
... Of One thing I was hoping they would have had sessions on was basic trouble shooting and repairing but that was missing.
For public transport buses, most likely the drivers won't be doing anything other than changing a flat tyre. And that cannot be done alone!

Anything else will probably have to wait till a mechanic arrives.
Old 17th August 2018, 07:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Did the sessions also cover anything on hill terrain driving? Just wondering how those drivers are trained. It must need highly developed sense of dimensions and control to do those roads at speeds that we see on highways like the Simla or Manali roads.

For that matter even the Volvo or Merc busses of State Transport drive at pretty high speeds and overtaking with inches to spare is something that is truly an art given our chaotic traffic discipline.
Old 20th August 2018, 17:45   #30

Volvos have a training program that the drivers have to undergo before they can drive one. I am sure the same would go for Mercs and Scania too. We had no training on hill driving , but I am told there is a separate hill license one needs to get . I guess there is a criteria to acquire that .
Maverick!! is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed