Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2007, 19:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There's enough choices there - Swaraj Mazda's, Tata Starbus, Mahindra Tourister!
If it were, the why is TATA producing the Trafic to compete against its starbus? The vehicles you mention are all bus bodies built on load carrying trucks. The Swaraj mazda bus is a larger vehicle with dual tire rear axles.

I was refering to a typical european van with a monocoque body and chassis and only the Force traveller qualifies.
Old 11th January 2007, 20:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

The traffic is being launched in the hope that the call centre crowd accept this vehicle and it replicates the success of the indica.The traffic I think is going to be max a ten seater vehicle so rush hour traffic should be easier to negotiate than the bigger buses.Some market research was conducted in this regard and I think tata found the need for such a vehicle which could carry more people than the indica and in a comfortable manner[for which a van was found to be more apt than the MUV's like the sumo].

Basically The purpose of the traffic is a mini mini bus[If you get it].

Tata also is saying they want people to be travelling to work in these buses in comfort so I am assuming airconditioning will be available.The great indian family trip crowd is another which could use the services of this vehicle for comfortable long distance travel.Yes and then the school bus segment is there too.

Ps: These are all word of mouth information from different sources and I will not be able to give you any official quotes for the same.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 11th January 2007 at 20:30.
Old 11th January 2007, 20:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcandle View Post
Oh Man!!! It is the old Traffic that we are getting.. What on earth does companies like Tata think while making such decisions. It doesnt take a genius to work out that there must be some reason why Renault stopped making this model and shifted to a new model. And....Ok agreed that India is (still a bit) behind as per world markets in terms of vehicle designs, i.e. the manufactures have sometimes got away with launching old generations of their cars here....but that is almost as boxy as the Mahindra Voyeger was. This van looks so ugly that even that Tata new logo doesnt go with the rest of the body.
When some of your competetion looks like this, I guess the Trafic from the 90s comes as a breath of fresh air. Even the Tempo Traveller itself is from the 80s. Voyager was a personal use vehicle and therefore it would'nt have worked.
Old 11th January 2007, 20:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
Replacement for Matador? Does it still exist? 407 decimated it years ago.
But werent 407 based vans were bigger and more expensive. Matador was cheaper, a bit compact and could be used for anything.
Old 13th January 2007, 13:39   #35
BHPian

Guys who are closer to Tata's can they find out when is it expected to be launched. Somewhere I had read the launch will coincide with the Logan launch which will be somewhere in Feb end.
Old 24th March 2007, 14:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just heard that the vehicle would be called Winger.
Old 26th March 2007, 19:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

got some more photos of passanger vehicle.
ok this model of trafik is 14 seater with driver. diesel engine. 1st row- 3 seats, 2 nd ro2- 4 seats, 3rd row- 3 seats and last row with 4 seats. there is only one door to enter.

Old 26th March 2007, 21:12   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, if this is what is coming, it is heading the Voyager way ..
Old 26th March 2007, 21:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IMO, if this is what is coming, it is heading the Voyager way ..
Nope, I don't think so..... provided Tata does the brand positioning in the right way.

Mahindra lost the plot initially when they tried to position the Voyager has a family vehicle initially.

Tushky, I foresee u earning turns of money in the future. You can teach a thing or two to all those paparazzi out there
Old 26th March 2007, 21:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Saw this thing on saturday too. Engine is very un-UV like. Wonder whats underneath? Pity my friend didnt allow me to stop and talk to the driver/take pics.
Old 26th March 2007, 22:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

This would more or less compete with the Tempo Traveller (Do they still make them??). There used to be a time when the Traveller penetrated in the taxi market quite well. Currently like you guys said all other vehicles (Tourister, 407-409 buses, etc) are all built on the truck chassis. This does not seem like that! The best part about such vehicles is that they can be used in many different ways, ambulances, tourist buses, cargo vans, mobile offices. Lets hope that Tata prices it right!
Old 27th March 2007, 04:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Saw this thing on saturday too. Engine is very un-UV like. Wonder whats underneath? Pity my friend didnt allow me to stop and talk to the driver/take pics.
would'nt be surprised if its the 3.0 DICOR from the Safari.
Old 27th March 2007, 15:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
This would more or less compete with the Tempo Traveller (Do they still make them??). There used to be a time when the Traveller penetrated in the taxi market quite well.

Well Force Motors are very much into production of traveller with close to 1000 travellers produced monthly. These have seating options from 6 to 17 people. Also reently they have launched traveller DV smart for cargo movement, which has been positively responded by market.

Tata trafik is surely pitched against traveller & tourister but i dont know where exactly they want to position, as 7 to 10 seater vehicle they already have & thereafter they have buses also. I think it would be like Mercedes Van which had 11 to 14 seating capacity, but very cheap.
Old 27th March 2007, 16:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

i am paparazzi?? sounds good.
Old 27th March 2007, 18:46   #45
BHPian

Yes, you are the automobile paparazzi. Keep up the good work.......

Most Viewed