Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2006, 15:44   #1
BHPian

Tata Motors Minivan Trafik

It seems tata's are all set to introduce a camper like vehicle. It comes from Renault stable they had a minivan called Trafik which they have discontinued now and sold the jigs to Tata's. It looks a very comfortable cruiser in the pics that I have seen, you can actually put in a bed, pantry, a chemical toilet etc,. If you have any inside info on this can you please share it with others.
Old 29th December 2006, 17:03   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It appears like you have more inside info than most of us. Who is your source? Can you share pictures?
Old 29th December 2006, 18:15   #3
BHPian

Hi,

Dont know whether the info is true or not but if it is the Renault Trafic, the following just adds on to the above information.

1. It is spelled as Trafic and not Trafik. Might be a mistake by RANC's source.

2. The model, until September this year was designed and produced only as a commercial van.

3. The passenger version has been launched very recently in UK (commercial model still sells), hence the van has not been discontinued.

4. The van was built as a joint venture between Renault, Vauxhall (GM) and Nissan.

5. The same van can be bought from Vauxhall as Vauxhall Vivaro and from Nissan as Nissan Primastar (although they both only make commercial model).

6. The van used to have typical van problems such has in-cabin noise, bumpy ride, so unless these have been dramatically reduced, they will still suffer from the same.

Old 29th December 2006, 18:23   #4
BHPian

from the looks of it, its ugly just ugly. wouldn't buy one with a gun next to my head. having said that thats just my opinion. what would be the price range???. what will this go against "RTV".
Old 29th December 2006, 18:42   #5
BHPian

redcandle has got the right information.But which engine will it use ?The famous 1.9 CDTI from Opel (origin Fiat) or others?
Old 29th December 2006, 18:45   #6
BHPian

I think it is called the Renault Trafik and they stopped making it in 2003, here are some links, I think I have been following this story since Sep 06 and at that time Tata's had said that the launch will coincide with the Logan launch, it seems the Logan is bieng launched in Feb 07 it would be nice that they launch this also at the same time, its supposed to be launched with the 3.0 dicor engine the same as the Safari's

[COLOR=#0000cc]The Hindu Business Line : Tata Motors plans new model[/COLOR]

And this is what appeared today in indiacar.net

[SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]Tata to launch minivan with Renault [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=#808080](12/29/2006)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

And here is a pic

Old 29th December 2006, 19:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think the one we are getting for India is most likely the pre 2001 model shown below.

The newer model shown below is joint property of Renault and GM and I doubt they would give that to TATA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryam View Post
If this trafic has introduced in India, I hope it would become darling for call-centre folks, cab-guys apart from large families.
More than likely it will go head to head with the unchallenged Tempo Traveller and will be powered by the Safari 3.0 CR motor.

Last edited by Mpower : 29th December 2006 at 20:02.
Old 29th December 2006, 19:58   #8
Suryam

If this trafic has introduced in India, I hope it would become darling for call-centre folks, cab-guys apart from large families.

I think Tata is opening another segment of opportunities for selling their range of their automobiles -- just like they introduced Sumo(earlier), recently ACE.

Old 29th December 2006, 20:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

I read about in Autocar India. The report said that it will be a renault tie up for the minivan. Wonder where does mahindra fit into this since they advertise themselves as Mahindra-Renault
Old 29th December 2006, 20:18   #10
Suryam

Tanvir,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I read about in Autocar India. The report said that it will be a renault tie up for the minivan. Wonder where does mahindra fit into this since they advertise themselves as Mahindra-Renault
I think Mahindra might be thinking:
* Have been satsified with their Bolero,Scorpio -- as people-movers. O
* They have some other plans
* Or think that they need not create/extend/compete with their existing products ( just self-contented)

Where as tata folks are trying to compete/extend/create new/existing product ranges -- finally ending up putting their eggs-lots-of-baskets(instead of single basket). This is typically done by maruti (on 800, alto, zen, wagonr) and doing lots of buisiness.

What separates tatas from others is while they do introduce these new products they might also use their existing engines(& parts) -- like 1.4 diesels for ACE, 3.0 Dicor for this Trafic. Where as maruti/etc have created lots-of-engines(till now) for each new product(so cost of producing/maintaining is high).

Old 29th December 2006, 23:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Pretty close to the Renault Espace found in France.I wonder if its the same Trafic which is sold as Espace in France. Generally these are used as taxi's there .

Renault Espace & Grand Espace

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 29th December 2006 at 23:13.
Old 30th December 2006, 07:56   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The magazine CV has shots of this one being tested. It says that this vehicle is going to be between the Ace and the 407. So - it would lean towards being a commercial vehicle, and IMO, may fall a little short on refinement that I would look for in a personal vehicle.
Old 30th December 2006, 12:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

This place is becoming like China

Euro car manufacturer sells old dies. Local manufacturer buys these adds local engine and we get a mongrel. Contessa, Standard 2000, now this although Tata will do a better integration job
Old 30th December 2006, 12:33   #14
BHPian

Mpower is right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I think the one we are getting for India is most likely the pre 2001 model shown below.

The newer model shown below is joint property of Renault and GM and I doubt they would give that to TATA.
More than likely it will go head to head with the unchallenged Tempo Traveller and will be powered by the Safari 3.0 CR motor.
India would get the older generation Renault Traffic (I had mentioned this in some Tata Indiva thread) with a lower roof. Test mules are seen around Pune. The December Overdrive issue has a small report on it. It will be an out and out goods carrier/ people mover a la Force Traveller/Excel.
Old 30th December 2006, 12:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdul 65 amg View Post
redcandle has got the right information.But which engine will it use ?The famous 1.9 CDTI from Opel (origin Fiat) or others?
I just hope it does not go down history lane like the mahindra voyager, yuck what a vehicle that was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

with that kind of roof it looks like a media broadcasting van rather than any passenger carrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryam View Post

I think Tata is opening another segment of opportunities for selling their range of their automobiles -- just like they introduced Sumo(earlier), recently ACE.
At the going rate, call centre guys wont mind even buying octi or superb for playing rash on roads with yellow boards. wonder where these guys get such money. think of it and they have it as cab, indicab, innova, qualis, whatever!

My idea of a passenger carrier would be the likes of honda odyssey found in the US. wow, that was a great mover and comfortable too. guess there are many more. I think for passenger carriers, people should stop thinking of outer looks. With these kinds of big vehicles, one wonders where there are roads in Bangalore to drive around with. or for that matter any other city.

The government should start banning bigger vehicles driving with just one person like the innova for instance. This should bring in some sanity among car buyers and commuters alike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks