Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2018, 15:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thailand: Tata Motors ceases manufacturing operations

Following a reassessment of its Thailand business, Tata Motors has decided to cease manufacturing operations in the country this financial year. The review indicated that the business was sub-scale and not sustainable in its current state.

Thailand: Tata Motors ceases manufacturing operations-tata-thailand.jpg

As part of Tata's Turnaround 2.0 strategy, the company plans to launch new products that better suit the local market. However, these will be imported as completely built units (CBU).

Tata Motors currently offers a wide range of commercial vehicles in Thailand. These include the Xenon single cab, Super Ace Mint, Alta medium duty truck and Novus range of heavy commercial vehicles.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 16:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Thailand: Tata Motors ceases manufacturing operations

A positive development in my opinion. With Tata's performance in home country getting stronger & stronger, why waste time in countries where you have a minuscule presence? Thailand was an unnecessary distraction. Of late, Tata has been getting rid of a lot of distractions (including the Indica, Indigo & Nano) to focus on the future.

On a related note, GM probably thought the same way of its Indian operations.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 17:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A positive development in my opinion. With Tata's performance in home country getting stronger & stronger, why waste time in countries where you have a minuscule presence? Thailand was an unnecessary distraction.
True that. Thailand makes no sense for TATA considering the fact that there is just too much competition for TATA to survive, let alone thriving.

South Africa on other hand was a good decision and is doing good. However, they are limiting themselves to CV there (trucks and buses majorly) which helps to keep the cost low in general.
the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 22:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Well, Tata Motors entered Thailand because it is a big pickup truck market and Tata has Xenon in its portfolio. Not to forget that Thailand has Free Trade Agreement with ASEAN nations & Australia - so vehicles made in Thailand can be exported. If you look at its offerings, there is no Tiago or Safari or Indigo on sale. Just pickup truck and small cargo trucks.

I guess neither local sales nor exports brought in big numbers.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 00:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:

On a related note, GM probably thought the same way of its Indian operations.

I for one, am glad that GM closed their operations in India. My office for some reason decided to inlcude Tavera's in thier fleet. Tavera's have some of the worst ergonomics of any car I have ridden in. The front seat was the worst, many employees complained about back ache.
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Well, Tata Motors entered Thailand because it is a big pickup truck market and Tata has Xenon in its portfolio. Not to forget that Thailand has Free Trade Agreement with ASEAN nations & Australia - so vehicles made in Thailand can be exported. If you look at its offerings, there is no Tiago or Safari or Indigo on sale. Just pickup truck and small cargo trucks.

I guess neither local sales nor exports brought in big numbers.
Agreed but if you compare the quantity and quality of presence of other automotive manufacturers who produce pick-up trucks there, to say SA then clearly it was a tough battle to start with for TATA.

In fact, I think, Tiago might just do decent there as Thailand roads are getting more and more congested and a comparatively cheaper small car might sell better.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 11:16   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Well, Tata Motors entered Thailand because it is a big pickup truck market and Tata has Xenon in its portfolio.
Toyota (with its indestructible pickups) & Ford (baap / big daddy of pickup trucks) both have a base in Thailand. Tata going to Thailand to sell the Xenon is like Hyundai going to Italy to sell supercars or Mahindra going to Germany to sell luxury sedans.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 11:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Toyota (with its indestructible pickups) & Ford (baap / big daddy of pickup trucks) both have a base in Thailand. Tata going to Thailand to sell the Xenon is like Hyundai going to Italy to sell supercars or Mahindra going to Germany to sell luxury sedans.
Plus, GM is there too.

Last month I was there, saw a lot of Mazda trucks as well.

Also saw the new civic, HRV and CH-R there too. Comparing to what (read ugly) cars Honda and Toyota have in India, I felt disappointed to be living in India
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 11:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

In my 4 days trip to Thailand in 2013, i saw 8-10 Xenon's. And few Tata branded canopy in vegetable market ��. I was under impression that Tata is doing well there.
Old 5th August 2018, 13:33   #10
BHPian

I don't think they are abandoning the market. Marketing ops will probably continue, just that the vehicles will be imported from India. The manufacturing was probably contracted to Thonburi.

Most Viewed