Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2018, 18:28   #16
BHPian

Re: India gets its first Drone policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
The DJI Spark would still be over 250 grams as the rules state that the takeoff weight including the prop guards must be considered. The DJI Spark tips the scale at around 300 grams. The Yuneec Breeze 4K comes in at around 350 grams. So getting it under 250 is still going to be tough if you need any useful flight time.
I know that spark is well over 250g, under 250g category is Nano (not Micro!). You don't want to be in Nano category as that has a ceiling of 50 ft while Micro is allowed till 200 ft without approval menace!

Last edited by Rajiv0909 : 30th August 2018 at 18:29.
Old 30th August 2018, 19:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
No, under the new laws drone cannot be in passenger baggage both domestic and international flights.
For importing drone you will need a ETA from WPC which is practically impossible to get. Even if you already own a drone to get the UIN you will still need to get the ETA from WPC.
Could you please help with the abbreviations? I wanted to gift drone to a relative back in India, looks like these regulations still do not solve that problem.
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 21:18   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
Could you please help with the abbreviations? I wanted to gift drone to a relative back in India, looks like these regulations still do not solve that problem.
ETA is Equipment Type Approval and WPC means Wireless Planning Commission from the Department of Telecommunication.
Old 31st August 2018, 11:12   #19
BHPian

The government seems to not have considered recreational aero modelling at all. Being into this hobby for many years now, it is practically impossible to fly a home made Depron model aircraft which weighs <= 250g, that is if you manage to build one that efficiently.

Most of my Depron / Balsa planes weigh in around ~600g - 1kg. They don't have any autonomous flight capabilities or cameras etc on them. All are electric only and have to be flown on open lands within line of sight!

I hope further revisions of the same consider this fact, otherwise with these rules, i think aero modelling as a hobby will die.
Old 31st August 2018, 23:02   #20
BHPian

A drone policy is good thinking. In the future these drones are going to be a big nuisance and it is kind of pleasantly surprising that someone actually thought of formulating a policy in our country so early to nip in the bud any issues whatsoever that may crop up in future due to the unregulated use of these devices.
Old 31st August 2018, 23:27   #21
BHPian

I have a DJI spark that I bought from New Zealand last year. It weighs around 300gm, so should be in Micro category. So according to the new law, should I get permission from any authority before flying it ? Where and how should I apply for the unique identification numer ? I am bit confused reading the regulations
Old 14th January 2019, 14:23   #22
BHPian

Some amateur questions:

1) For a drone that falls within the 250g limit (DJI Trello for instance), can I ask a relative to bring from abroad? Will he face any custom issues?
2) I have an entry level Syma drone which I intend to carry in domestic flight. Can I not carry in my hand luggage? Will a check in be allowed?
3) Last, are there any good websites to buy recreational drones in India? Bangood does not ship any RC flying related toys to India.

I think drones are a wonderful opportunity to spend quality with your little ones and take them outside to see parks, open fields etc. With the FPV camera enabled, I'm sure it must be a whole new level.

Really keen to explore this hobby and would be obliged if someone can give guidance on where/what to buy, and how to go about incrementally building the equipment needed.
Old 21st January 2019, 08:56   #23
BHPian

It would be great if people who own Drones post details of them on this thread.
Mainly around the following factors
- Fly time / Charge time needed
- Cost $$
- Features like
Fly range, Anti collision controls, camera quality, stability, sample videos.

More for a hobby drone.

There also seems to be a large scam market trying to push off fake drones at low prices in the guise of special offers and deals, all from non reliable sites.
Old 21st January 2019, 09:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Does this law states anything about importing drones/carrying them from outside india? Till now, if customs would get hold of them at the airports while coming to india with a drone, there was a possibility that you may not get it back as they were illegal.
There is no issue in getting a drone from outside India. I got myself a dji mavic pro from thailand without any hassles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
No, under the new laws drone cannot be in passenger baggage both domestic and international flights.
For importing drone you will need a ETA from WPC which is practically impossible to get. Even if you already own a drone to get the UIN you will still need to get the ETA from WPC.
While travelling with a drone the batteries need to kept in the cabin baggage while the drone needs to be moved in the checkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
It would be great if people who own Drones post details of them on this thread.
Mainly around the following factors
- Fly time / Charge time needed
- Cost $$
- Features like
Fly range, Anti collision controls, camera quality, stability, sample videos.

More for a hobby drone.

There also seems to be a large scam market trying to push off fake drones at low prices in the guise of special offers and deals, all from non reliable sites.
I got a mavic pro which is pretty common amongst drone flyers nowadays!

Fly time is about 30 Minutes no wind condition. Charge to one battery takes about 45 mins.

When I purchased it was about 1.3 lakhs for a fly more kit.

Range is about 7 KMs with telemetrics . Have sensors for obstacle detection front and bottom. Records video at 4k. Very stable under moderate winds and extremely easy to fly. One has to be a fool to crash one of these.
aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 11:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wait to fly drones grows longer, civil aviation ministry pushes the date to April.

Quote:
India’s civil aviation ministry has pushed back to April the date on which individuals and companies will be able to fly drones under the regulations for use of Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) released last August.

According to two officials familiar with the matter, the original launch date of January 1, 2019 for flying drones in areas other than those barred for security concerns, had to be revised for two reasons: states have yet to map “no-drone zones” in their airspace; and drones are not equipped with No Permission No Take-off (NPNT) hardware pre-programmed with no-fly zones and integrated with the Digital Sky Platform. Both are mandatory under RPAS rules.

News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 16:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Some amateur questions:

1) For a drone that falls within the 250g limit (DJI Trello for instance), can I ask a relative to bring from abroad? Will he face any custom issues?
2) I have an entry level Syma drone which I intend to carry in domestic flight. Can I not carry in my hand luggage? Will a check in be allowed?
3) Last, are there any good websites to buy recreational drones in India? Bangood does not ship any RC flying related toys to India.

I think drones are a wonderful opportunity to spend quality with your little ones and take them outside to see parks, open fields etc. With the FPV camera enabled, I'm sure it must be a whole new level.

Really keen to explore this hobby and would be obliged if someone can give guidance on where/what to buy, and how to go about incrementally building the equipment needed.
I recently carried a Dji Spark in Cabin luggage and brought it to india via an International flight. No issues faced.

And yes, you can carry one on domestic flights, can't say about check in luggage though.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 07:14   #27

I purchased a TELLO and is now lying in Chennai Customs, I need a ETA (Equipment Type Approval) from the WPC of DOT for customs clearance. Does anyone have a ETA for the TEllo. Please help.
hariratan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 18:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariratan View Post
I purchased a TELLO and is now lying in Chennai Customs, I need a ETA (Equipment Type Approval) from the WPC of DOT for customs clearance. Does anyone have a ETA for the TEllo. Please help.
As far as ETA is concerned it's required for communication equipment like Walkie Talkies, Repeaters , Wireless Sets. They must be assuming some thing else with the tello, try to convince them it's just a toy.

There is no such ETA for drones which as been currently drafted.
aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 00:52   #29
BHPian

Hi,

I have been researching about an entry level drone and the latest DJI Mavic Mini seems to fit the bill. However its yet to be launched in India, not sure if we even have a distributor here.

Since the drone weighs 249 gms, I am sure it falls in the nano category eliminating need to get a license to fly it in India. However, not sure if it can be imported into the country at the moment!

Need help on following pointers:
  • How to legally import this into India?
  • Likely launch date in India
  • Official distributor in India
  • Can I order the drone from any ecomm website outside India

Appreciate the help!

-Saurabh Sathe

Last edited by saurabh89 : 27th November 2019 at 00:52. Reason: signature
saurabh89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 23:34   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh89 View Post
Need help on following pointers:
Heard a rumour that DJI might launch officially on Amazon India by the end of 2019.

Not sure what the pricing will be like (or if it will even happen). But nonetheless, might be worth waiting for that...
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed