Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2018, 12:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

India gets its first Drone policy

India drone policy.

India gets its first Drone policy-ipleaders.jpg
Image Source: https://blog.ipleaders.in/legality-of-drones-in-india/

Quote:
After a couple of years of deliberation and ending a long period of ambiguity and confusion, the Director General of Civil Aviation has finally announced its policy for remotely piloted aircraft or drones. Set to come into effect from December 1, 2018, the new policy defines what will be classified as remotely piloted aircraft, how they can be flown and the restrictions they will have to operate under. Here is a look at the policy in detail.
Quote:
What are drones?
The DGCA has defined remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) as an unmanned aircraft piloted from a remote pilot station. “The remotely piloted aircraft, its associated remote pilot station(s), command and control links and any other components form a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS),” the policy states. Also, as per the civil aviation requirements – issued under the provisions of Rule 15A and Rule 133A of the Aircraft Rules, 1937 – these RPAs will need a Unique Identification Number (UIN), Unmanned Aircraft Operator Permit (UAOP) and need to adhere to other operational requirements.

The DGCA has segregated drones into five different categories

i) Nano : Less than or equal to 250 grams.
ii) Micro : From 250 grams to 2kg.
iii) Small : From 2kg to 25kg.
iv) Medium : From 25kg to 150kg.
v) Large : Greater than 150kg.
News Source : https://indianexpress.com/article/te...craft-5328143/

India gets its first Drone policy-1.0.jpg

India gets its first Drone policy-2.0.jpg

More details:
http://dgca.nic.in/cars/D3X-X1.pdf
SJM1214 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 14:09   #2
BHPian

Excellent move by the government. I wanted to buy a drone for recreational photography but was refraining due to uncertainty regarding laws of flying one. Only small less than 250g drones like the DJI TELLO were allowed as they are mainly indoor drones and did not require a permission. This new law requires us to take permission from the authorities using a mobile application which is pretty convenient. Drone photography helps to provide an entirely different perspective to the scenery and am happy that now they can be used for more than just wedding photography or photography at private properties.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st August 2018 at 11:21. Reason: Fixing typo: prospective = perspective
ToyotaFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 14:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India gets its first Drone policy

Good development.

When I was still in Delhi/India we looked into using drones for our Mobile Networks Field Force.

We have been using drones in other parts of the world to inspect for instance antenna installations. It’s very effective and quick. Currently the only way is to have a qualified technician climb the tower. Which is a lengthy process and of course climbing towers, even with all safety precautions, there is always a risk to the individual up there.

But at the time we got completely stuck in the then current legislation which essentially did not allow us to use any sort of drone in the public space.

It will be interesting to see how and what areas drone usage will take-off (pardon the pun!)

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 14:49   #4
BHPian

Finally something concrete.

It is worth noting that the weight restriction is actually a 'Take-Off' Weight and should include propeller guards.

The next DJI Spark, dubbed as the Pro is speculated to weigh in at 250 Grams.

Lets hope the App for registration and permission is launched quickly and efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

But at the time we got completely stuck in the then current legislation which essentially did not allow us to use any sort of drone in the public space.

Jeroen
Very true. We have tried numerous times for drones to be used for inspection (Even Government Tenders) but due to the legislation it made it impossible. I recon a whole new industry will now be allowed to develop in India.

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 28th August 2018 at 14:53.
Samir Taheer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 15:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

What would be the rules for leisure usage of drones? For example a small drone (DJI Tello for example) is used in a park or at a beach.

If/ when these approvals are done, how can we protect ourselves against unwanted drones in our immediate vicinity? Would this law cover such privacy issues as well or the primary focus is on security?
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 15:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What would be the rules for leisure usage of drones? For example a small drone (DJI Tello for example) is used in a park or at a beach.

If/ when these approvals are done, how can we protect ourselves against unwanted drones in our immediate vicinity? Would this law cover such privacy issues as well or the primary focus is on security?
Nano Category Drones (< 250 Grams) can be flown up to 50m in height and up to line of sight in uncontrolled and/or enclosed premises.
Micro Drones can be flown up to 200m and up to line of sight.

As for reporting I am not sure. I am guessing the presumption is that if there are laws there wont be unwanted drones and hence this was not even considered.
Samir Taheer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 18:15   #7
PGA
BHPian

I was wondering what possible use can these drones be put in our country beside recreation, snooping, photography included and hobby activities. Since 2 kg and above categories will take flight after considerable and heavy govt clearances, so see quite less commercial use for them at least in forseable future. As Jeroen has stated it would be interesting to see how this evolves.

Last edited by PGA : 28th August 2018 at 18:29.
Old 28th August 2018, 18:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

I am glad that for once that law has caught up with technology. If they had digitized the paper process like they do everywhere, they would have crippled this growing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Nano Category Drones (< 250 Grams) can be flown up to 50m in height and up to line of sight in uncontrolled and/or enclosed premises.
Micro Drones can be flown up to 200m and up to line of sight.
Those are feet, not meters.

I am still not sure how they deal with the privacy concerns. Nano sized camera drones can violate privacy by hovering near windows and private property. How do they plan to control that? Drone jammers?
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 09:37   #9
BHPian

Re: India Drone Policy - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am glad that for once that law has caught up with technology. If they had digitized the paper process like they do everywhere, they would have crippled this growing field.

Those are feet, not meters.

I am still not sure how they deal with the privacy concerns. Nano sized camera drones can violate privacy by hovering near windows and private property. How do they plan to control that? Drone jammers?
Yes my bad. 50 Feet =15 Meters.

Honestly, other than someone reporting a drone menace or violation of privacy due to a drone, I am not sure much action can be taken. The only real action is to throw something at it!
Samir Taheer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 10:02   #10
BHPian

Re: India Drone Policy - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Yes my bad. 50 Feet =15 Meters.

Honestly, other than someone reporting a drone menace or violation of privacy due to a drone, I am not sure much action can be taken. The only real action is to throw something at it!
Privacy or safety rules should be more stringent now if they are able to implement this properly. Theoretically the "Digital Sky Platform" should be denying flight permission requests over residential or private areas which means the peep/perv or hazardous overflight is a violation and hence reportable.

From Page 13:
Attached Thumbnails
India gets its first Drone policy-card3xx1_pp_13.jpg  

sun_king is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 12:16   #11
BHPian

Re: India gets its first Drone policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
I was wondering what possible use can these drones be put in our country beside recreation, snooping, photography included and hobby activities. Since 2 kg and above categories will take flight after considerable and heavy govt clearances, so see quite less commercial use for them at least in forseable future. As Jeroen has stated it would be interesting to see how this evolves.
Drones are already used in India in multiple domains although mostly for testing at this time.
The main areas include but are not restricted to the following.
1) Mapping
2) Volumetric analysis
3) Agricultural spraying
4) Powerline and civil structural inspection
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 17:40   #12
BHPian

This makes DJI Spark the most sought after product as with it's weight it would fall under micro drone category, has decent features and can fly upto 200ft without the headache of sourcing permissions each time. Welcome move!
Old 29th August 2018, 21:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
This makes DJI Spark the most sought after product as with it's weight it would fall under micro drone category, has decent features and can fly upto 200ft without the headache of sourcing permissions each time. Welcome move!
The DJI Spark would still be over 250 grams as the rules state that the takeoff weight including the prop guards must be considered. The DJI Spark tips the scale at around 300 grams. The Yuneec Breeze 4K comes in at around 350 grams. So getting it under 250 is still going to be tough if you need any useful flight time.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 23:51   #14
BHPian

Does this law states anything about importing drones/carrying them from outside india? Till now, if customs would get hold of them at the airports while coming to india with a drone, there was a possibility that you may not get it back as they were illegal.
Old 30th August 2018, 04:23   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

No, under the new laws drone cannot be in passenger baggage both domestic and international flights.
For importing drone you will need a ETA from WPC which is practically impossible to get. Even if you already own a drone to get the UIN you will still need to get the ETA from WPC.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed