Team-BHP - Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/203097-vande-bharat-express-train-18-made-india-engineless-train-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 4505798)
And the pilot was incessantly honking, probably terrified of someone jumping into the track out of nowhere!

With the manned/unmanned level crossings, generally W/L (whistle long) is a routine. This one was a little excessive though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrishnap (Post 4505932)
With the manned/unmanned level crossings, generally W/L (whistle long) is a routine. This one was a little excessive though.

Not to be nitpicky, W/L = Whistle / Level crossing. Equivalent to (in devanagari) See / Faa = Seeti / Fatak.

I believe in trial runs, they will be extra cautious to not have any external factor impact the testing.

On a related note, will there be ballast based trials? How will the train-set perform with full load of passengers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmxylorider (Post 4506053)
On a related note, will there be ballast based trials? How will the train-set perform with full load of passengers?

I think they already did a round of that with bags of sands loaded inside the coaches to mimic the passenger load. May be they will do more of that!

On a related note, the second AC local for Mumbai has been dispatched for operations. This rake is completely vestibuled using features from the T-18 set. Leads me to believe the T-18 project has borrowed/loaned heavily from/to the ongoing projects with higher success rate.

I am fairly confident about the success of this program and hope plans to accelerate production are being actively drawn-up.

Hope train-18 has features for in-cab signalling as well as this would be the next step to increasing speeds. The infrastructure needs to be trialled out before crossing 200kmph to reduce the only weak link which depends on train operator to manually call out signals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWind (Post 4506888)
Hope train-18 has features for in-cab signalling as well as this would be the next step to increasing speeds. The infrastructure needs to be trialled out before crossing 200kmph to reduce the only weak link which depends on train operator to manually call out signals.

I don't think it has.

In the video posted earlier in which they hit the 180 kmph mark, the ALP can be seen leaning forward to sight the signal and call it out.
I guess for now, they would be doing Gatimaan express speeds and later as the infrastructure improves for higher speeds , this probably would be implemented.

IMHO, I don't believe they are looking at speeds above 180 kmph. Current tracks unless upgraded will not support high speeds. There is a proposal underway to bring about track upgrades to help maintain sustained speeds. Unless there is heavy investment related to grade related aspects, the NR sections are better suited for high speed operations limited to < 180 kmph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmxylorider (Post 4506841)
On a related note, the second AC local for Mumbai has been dispatched for operations. This rake is completely vestibuled using features from the T-18 setr.

It is not despatched yet, it will be revealed in December apparently

Here is a video showing the acceleration of the Train-18 from standstill, pretty amazing I must say. {Ignore the commentary though} :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCiPz9pAPfs

And braking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2C69lWoLQ

I guess the Mumbai EMUs do perform similarly, but not sure about the actual acceleration in time and numbers. Those LPs testing the rake must be having a blast in the cabin, similar to someone driving a supercar after driving a hatchback all life :)

Quiz question is whether it will replace the Rajdhanis and Shatabdis or will it be for regular express trains which run slower than most trains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 (Post 4509717)
Quiz question is whether it will replace the Rajdhanis and Shatabdis or will it be for regular express trains which run slower than most trains.

T-18 is supposed to replace the Shatabdi's and maybe some intercity expresses.

Rajdhani's may be replaced by T-20 that's under manufacturing. It'll have sleeper coaches unlike T-18 which has only AC Chair cars.

https://www.financialexpress.com/inf...-sets/1273814/

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 4497814)
AN UNPRECEDENTED MAKE-IN-INDIA SUCCESS STORY :uncontrol

Any technical details like which type of motor used, who are the suppliers, etc.?

What is there to laugh at. And why do you doubt the success. Only reason we are slow is the lethargy from the policy processing govt employees.
Using my contacts I have gathered some information.
The bogies are the same fiat bogies in LHB coaches. They had provision for traction motor mounting which is being used.
Wheels are from the WAP-5 locomotive.
Coach shell is LHB shell, but there is lot of modification. Tapered ends have been straightened out, toilets which were initially in the crumple zone have been shifted inwards, and doors are now part of the crumple zone.
Scharfberg coupling has been used like in the EMU / Local trains.
Drives and control software have been developed by Medha from Hyderabad, who have been doing so for our locomotives.
Aerodynamic consultants were either ATFI, HAL or Wacker Ingenieure. Only these three quoted for the job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkMar (Post 4497866)
There are 4 pantographs but 2 are being used in current trials. We should wait and watch whether this will be permanent arrangement or it is just a part of trials in various combinations.

The panto graph up down switch is for either Panto 1 & 4 or Panto 2 & 3.
Sets of 8 coaches are connected by HT cables and of the two transformer coaches in each set which also have the panto graph, one will always remain a standby. https://ibb.co/d8Wyuf credit to original photographer.

Rahul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahul Rao (Post 4509971)
Coach shell is LHB shell, but there is lot of modification. Tapered ends have been straightened out, toilets which were initially in the crumple zone have been shifted inwards, and doors are now part of the crumple zone.

Thanks for all the info. Pretty interesting. But this point worries me. In case of a crash, wont it block the exit points? The vestibules could offer transfer to another coach, but considering the emergency exits are the glass panes, if the doors are no longer in form or are jammed, it will not allow easy exit.

@audioholic
I am not a designer to know this. What I know is that Windows are eggshell glass, ie the lamination on the inside is more than on the outside. So in impact the glass shatters outwards.
A firm hit from inside Kick or shoulder push can shatter the glass outwards, but even a flying stone throw from outside will only chip a bit on the outside itself, and will not shatter the glass inwards.

Rahul

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4506897)
I don't think it has.

In the video posted earlier in which they hit the 180 kmph mark, the ALP can be seen leaning forward to sight the signal and call it out.
I guess for now, they would be doing Gatimaan express speeds and later as the infrastructure improves for higher speeds , this probably would be implemented.

Their chief mentioned that top speed of the train is 220 kmph, however any speed over 200 kmph is only possible after track upgrades, signal changes and proper fencing.