Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:59   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 7,939
Thanked: 4,663 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
"JINXED" Vande Bharat Express hits motorcycle, cattle in one journey.

The newly launched Train 18, named Vande Bharat Express, was damaged again Wednesday when two cows strayed on track and got hit by the superfast train running at a speed of around 130 kilometres per hour.

https://in.yahoo.com/news/train-18-r...060919538.html
I thought they were fencing the track and had completed the task. I always held that for such speeds fenced off tracks are necessary. There are many areas where hurting gau-mata can lead to a riot.

Maybe the mindset has changed. I hope so!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 21:48   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,668
Thanked: 6,169 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMaama View Post
The breakdown was due to jamming of the brakes due to CRO. Cattle run-over.
I believe it was the brakes at the rear of the rake which got jammed. Wonder why the rear ones.
Sutripta is offline  
Old 24th February 2019, 22:11   #108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 4,593
Thanked: 12,084 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I believe it was the brakes at the rear of the rake which got jammed. Wonder why the rear ones.
Apparent - Communication failure between rest of the train and last basic unit, ie four coaches. This triggered the brakes as a fail safe while the rest of the train dragged these coaches.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 22:30   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,668
Thanked: 6,169 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

So running over cattle caused a communication failure!
And what about standard engineering practices which in this case mean that when expected behaviour does not occur, both units invoke exception handlers.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline  
Old 24th February 2019, 22:48   #110
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 4,593
Thanked: 12,084 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
So running over cattle caused a communication failure!
And what about standard engineering practices which in this case mean that when expected behaviour does not occur, both units invoke exception handlers.
From what I have read on T18 these two are separate incidents. The communication failure happened on the second day of service when the rake was being ferried back to Delhi. This was a completely internal issue without any outside factors at play. The cattle runover, bike runover have been much recent incidents during regular passenger runs. Of course, if a cattle run over causes a communication failure, then that isnt a good system IMO.

Considering the entire rake has underslung equipment, I am curious on how well these are protected from flying ballast, cattle remains, bike parts at high speed, waterlogging during floods and so on. I hope the equipment has been given a good outer casing without any exposed elements, to at least protect from damage if not flooding.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 23:00   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,668
Thanked: 6,169 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Clean underbody? Some of our 4x4 community members could have helped!

Can say from experience that (on paper) IP67 or similar specs are a very bad idea.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 24th February 2019 at 23:06.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 12:41   #112
BHPian
 
dragracer567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 434
Thanked: 1,773 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the Independence day speech said that in the following 75 weeks (18 months) the Indian Railways will launch 75 Vande Bharat trains to connect India's far-flung areas. There is no clarity on the routes however and how they define 'far-flung' areas whether it connects metros, tier II and III cities and towns or even lower population aggregates. This should be a shot in the arm for the Train 18 project since there were talks of no additional purchases!

Source
dragracer567 is online now  
Old 15th August 2021, 17:16   #113
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 68
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the Independence day speech said that in the following 75 weeks (18 months) the Indian Railways will launch 75 Vande Bharat trains to connect India's far-flung areas. There is no clarity on the routes however and how they define 'far-flung' areas whether it connects metros, tier II and III cities and towns or even lower population aggregates. This should be a shot in the arm for the Train 18 project since there were talks of no additional purchases!

Source
The Train18/Vande Bharat express programme was delayed (after the first 2 trainsets were operationalized), apparently due to interdepartmental rivalries. But those issues have been sorted out and an order for 44 trainsets was placed in Jan 2021. It is likely that more orders will be placed going forward.

As things stand, the Train18 design provides for sitting acco only. A sleeper version (Train20) was in the works but there is no clarity on timelines yet. So if the forthcoming trainsets all have sitting acco only, they will be used on existing Shatabdi routes or other similar routes (200-700 km). On most such routes, a single trainset will be able to do at least one roundtrip daily with existing track infrastructure.

Last edited by satyaanveshi : 15th August 2021 at 17:22. Reason: Minor addition
satyaanveshi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:01   #114
BHPian
 
woodstock3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Delhi
Posts: 30
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Dear experts, We family of 6 are planning a visit to Maa Vaishno Devi in Nov 2021 via Vande Bharat. I was looking to book tickets in CC, however need an expert opinion if there's a way to book seats which are across table.

Refer image below.

Any help will be super helpful. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
 
woodstock3001 is offline  
Old 14th October 2021, 19:39   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,788
Thanked: 1,032 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
Dear experts, We family of 6 are planning a visit to Maa Vaishno Devi in Nov 2021 via Vande Bharat. I was looking to book tickets in CC, however need an expert opinion if there's a way to book seats which are across table.

Refer image below.

Any help will be super helpful. Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, there is no way you can select specific seats in the train. You can only hope luck favours and you get the seats you are looking for.
binaiks is offline  
Old 15th October 2021, 13:02   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 58
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
Dear experts, We family of 6 are planning a visit to Maa Vaishno Devi in Nov 2021 via Vande Bharat. I was looking to book tickets in CC, however need an expert opinion if there's a way to book seats which are across table.
One option to try: You will have to go the "old" way of booking at the Reservation Centres.
The staff has better control (or atleast, had better control before) on such seat allocation (talking about Rajdhani, Shatabdi & other trains, dont have experience of VB), and if the seat bookings are not very full yet, they could help.

Atleast worth a shot!

Cheers!
VT-RNS is offline  
Old 15th October 2021, 21:03   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,788
Thanked: 1,032 Times
Default Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
One option to try: You will have to go the "old" way of booking at the Reservation Centres.
The staff has better control (or atleast, had better control before) on such seat allocation (talking about Rajdhani, Shatabdi & other trains, dont have experience of VB), and if the seat bookings are not very full yet, they could help.

Atleast worth a shot!

Cheers!
They still cannot pick a particular seat number. They could do things like giving a window seat or an aisle seat, or even give a particular coach - but the railway software doesn't permit picking a particular seat.
binaiks is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks