Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2018, 13:17   #61
BHPian
 
ontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KL-01/KL-08
Posts: 320
Thanked: 159 Times
Default

E-Rickshaws are not seen in any Kerala cities yet. But we dont have pedal rickshaws here either. If they are replacing pedal rickshaw, i think its a good move. Going by the below link, seems, there is regulations already in place regarding manufacturing and selling of these products.
http://www.nezonegroup.com/e-raaja-e-rickshaw/
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:30   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 118
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: 11,000 electric rickshaws are sold in India every month!

This is a transient phase. Lead Acid batteries are horrible for powering vehicles which is why we didn't have them all this while. So this will go away like all fads do. What will emerge though is a new crop of autos with Li-ion batteries which has the power, energy density and longevity to be useful in transportation. We absolutely don't have any Li-ion battery manufacturing in the country right now. When they start coming out in couple of years, the Lead Acid ones are going to die a horrible death.

Short term, all the government need to do is hold the manufacturers responsible for recycling of lead acid batteries. Don't let them dump it in the market. Put the legislation out there saying they need to show proof of recycling or they should cease and desist.
sreeharipv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:48   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 225
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: 11,000 electric rickshaws are sold in India every month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
This is a transient phase. Lead Acid batteries are horrible for powering vehicles which is why we didn't have them all this while. So this will go away like all fads do. What will emerge though is a new crop of autos with Li-ion batteries which has the power, energy density and longevity to be useful in transportation. We absolutely don't have any Li-ion battery manufacturing in the country right now. When they start coming out in couple of years, the Lead Acid ones are going to die a horrible death.

Short term, all the government need to do is hold the manufacturers responsible for recycling of lead acid batteries. Don't let them dump it in the market. Put the legislation out there saying they need to show proof of recycling or they should cease and desist.
It depends on what you mean by Li-ion battery manufacturing. If you mean cells, it is some time away no matter what the Government or PSU institutes say. The economics do not make sense.
But if you mean pack assembly, there are around 20 players including reputed ones like ACME etc.

Regarding recycling of lead acid, the process is already in place for a long time. I am surprised that there is so little awareness about this in this forum where all of us are users of lead acid batteries in our cars at least.

Replacement of lead acid by Lithium - the process has started. But the key bottleneck is finance. The rickshaw owner gets finance from local moneylenders, who understandably are nervous about financing something with 50% higher capital cost. Also, very often the margin money the rickshaw puller has to put up is a concern. If it increases from 20k to 30k, suddenly most people are out of it except the seths who buy and rent.

Last edited by chinkara : 23rd November 2018 at 12:51.
chinkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 08:33   #64
BHPian
 
whitewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: 11,000 electric rickshaws are sold in India every month!

The real cost of the these batteries , also do include a terrible cost to life in the Congo. This somehow never got the outrage/horror it should, in a civilized society - 6 million and counting !


https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ica-drc-horror



Likewise, in the Latin Americas, Lithium mining also seems to have a very negative impact on the environment (see attachment).


Although there seems to be effort being made to make the extraction process better, and reuse the materials in battery manufaturing itself and not as byproducts.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...hium-recycling
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 13_factsheet-lithium-gb.pdf (2.38 MB, 48 views)
whitewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 10:25   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 118
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: 11,000 electric rickshaws are sold in India every month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
It depends on what you mean by Li-ion battery manufacturing. If you mean cells, it is some time away no matter what the Government or PSU institutes say. The economics do not make sense.
But if you mean pack assembly, there are around 20 players including reputed ones like ACME etc.

Regarding recycling of lead acid, the process is already in place for a long time. I am surprised that there is so little awareness about this in this forum where all of us are users of lead acid batteries in our cars at least.

Replacement of lead acid by Lithium - the process has started. But the key bottleneck is finance. The rickshaw owner gets finance from local moneylenders, who understandably are nervous about financing something with 50% higher capital cost. Also, very often the margin money the rickshaw puller has to put up is a concern. If it increases from 20k to 30k, suddenly most people are out of it except the seths who buy and rent.
Why the economics doesn't make sense? If you have to assemble cells in to packs, somebody need to make cells. If you make it locally, you can save on transportation. Its just that Indian companies don't have the technology. We don't have a Panasonic, or LG Chem or Samsung SDI in India. Right now, these companies are focusing on more industrialized and more established markets. They'll come here as soon as they have reasonably saturated those markets.
sreeharipv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 11:29   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 225
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: 11,000 electric rickshaws are sold in India every month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
Why the economics doesn't make sense? If you have to assemble cells in to packs, somebody need to make cells. If you make it locally, you can save on transportation. Its just that Indian companies don't have the technology. We don't have a Panasonic, or LG Chem or Samsung SDI in India. Right now, these companies are focusing on more industrialized and more established markets. They'll come here as soon as they have reasonably saturated those markets.
Hi, Sorry for being so late in getting back. This just passed me by.

The issue is not so much the technology, but the logistics.Cell manufacturing is a much "dirtier" process than pack - i.e. a lot of different chemicals and materials are needed and the yield is inefficient; i.e. it costs more to transport the RM than the finished cell. That, coupled with the existing levels of demand, will ensure that cells are imported in the foreseeable future. When, at a later date, scales justify the logistics cost increase vis-a-vis the share of margin, we shall start seeing cell units. Currently, if a cell unit comes in, it will be either ego driven or pushed by a PSU for other reasons (technology experimentation etc.). There is no justification for a private player (especially an MNC) to locate cell manufacturing in India.
chinkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 19:14   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,811
Thanked: 2,946 Times
Default Re: 11,000 electric rickshaws are sold in India every month!

Saw this new variant today. Wonder how effective the panel could be for the puny motor in these things. Hopefully might work out. If it does, kudos to the ingenuity.

11,000 electric rickshaws are sold in India every month!-20190314_18324616.jpg
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gurgaon metro stations get 1,000 electric rickshaws Omkar Commercial Vehicles 2 11th September 2017 16:33
Customized Bajaj Auto Rickshaws auctioned for 100,000 pounds towards a charity! hserus Commercial Vehicles 1 3rd July 2015 14:33
Badami and Hampi - Where every stone, every boulder has a tale to tell TheDrivingBug Travelogues 14 8th December 2014 16:47
Every car story book is special, because every child in us is..special! sidindica Shifting gears 1 8th March 2010 00:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks