Team-BHP - Trucks & Buses to get reverse parking alerts from April 2020
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Trucks & Buses to get reverse parking alerts from April 2020 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/205113-trucks-buses-get-reverse-parking-alerts-april-2020-a.html)

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has issued a notification mandating reverse parking alert systems for trucks and buses manufactured from April 2020.

Trucks & Buses to get reverse parking alerts from April 2020-19076tatamotorstrucksians.jpg

The government has said that all trucks and buses will be required to have rear sensors that sound a warning when an object is at a certain distance from the vehicle. The alert system could also include reverse cameras. Tractors including puller tractor for semi-trailers, trailers and modular hydraulic trailers will be exempted from this rule.

From July 2019, reverse parking sensors will also be mandatory for cars and other 4-wheelers.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News

Sensors will only work when they are kept clean, how do we expect this in our trucks?I think camera should be mandatory , in fact it should be factory fitted.

People who sleep under trucks , get run over, this is a unique problem which even sensors or camera cant solve.

The basic tail lights and under run bars on trucks are not in place and there is now this new law to make parking sensors mandatory. I am not sure if this is something to mock at, get angry at or just laugh off and pass it as a joke. The first and foremost thing that needs to be done is have heavy fines for trucks even if any one of the tail lamps or reverse lamps are not working. That will avoid a lot of accidents where these trucks are parked on the side of the roads at night with no visible indicator. Better is to impound the truck and cancel the permit along with the license of the driver

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado (Post 4518943)
Sensors will only work when they are kept clean, how do we expect this in our trucks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by centaur (Post 4518954)
The basic tail lights and under run bars on trucks are not in place and there is now this new law to make parking sensors mandatory.

Come on guys, let's show some positivity when the government makes a good move. Big :thumbs up on mandatory rear parking sensors & it appears that a camera might also be included. No other vehicle class needs it more than trucks & buses where rearward visibility is zero.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4520838)
Come on guys, let's show some positivity when the government makes a good move.

My post was more from an enforcement standpoint than anything else. My question is that when basic things like rear tail lamps and under run bars (which actually have rules/laws against them being in place) which are mandatory and not in place on trucks, will truckers bother with a sensor/camera or having them in top shape? Will there be any enforcement if the authorities found that the sensors on a truck are not working? I highly doubt that looking at the current state of affairs. I am always in favour of moving ahead but that is fruitful only when what has been done in the past is still being followed/enforced diligently. Sorry about not being upbeat about this move but its only because of the way the enforcement of previous moves was handled.

I'd love to see the day where truck owners finally ditch these fancy wooden deathtrap of a "truck" and go with the modern choices. I mean, like for every bit of decoration there, that's another object that'll do you damage in the event of a crash, and not to mention, most of these deathtraps are well over a decade old.

But, on a positive note, I'm seeing lesser of these sarcophagi on the roads nowadays than 2 or 3 years ago. Most of the trucks I see are Bharat Benz and new Leyland/Tata cab-over ones. But God forbid, they manage to make the new age trucks as unsafe as the old ones by improper service and equipping it with similar "decorations".

Had the opportunity of getting inside a Bharat Benz truck sometime ago, and the difference is unreal compared to these old trucks. It's mostly similar to the cars of today, and includes basic amenities for the driver like air conditioning and some medium-to-higher end models, although I couldn't confirm it personally, offer power windows as well as all the other basic ones you can expect on a car. And features like proper, bright taillights and not flimsy makeshift ones and abs sensors come standard on these new trucks.

Trucking has come a long way for our Country. I still say that things have improved with them, especially the visibility at nights due to most trucks now equipped with LED for tail lamps.

Mandatory (or even forceful) sticking of reflective stripes at the rear has also immensely helped. Since I mostly and very regularly drive at nights, I found the difference noticeable so say the least compared to the situation only 5 years back! Almost all Trailers now have the reflective warning triangle affixed the their tailgate.

However, construction trucks transporting Sand, Cement etc still are a big threat on our highways mainly due to inexperienced (and shuttle) drivers and nothing else.

All in all, this is a welcome move and I wholeheartedly support this. It will certainly help the drivers to make the right judgement while reversing.

On how the owners will maintain these installations is a separate topic altogether.

This is a welcome mandate, indeed. :thumbs up

Of course, I have doubts on how/how long these will be maintained, but overall, an encouraging start. I was pretty impressed when most KSRTC and BMTC buses had reverse cameras, since many years back.

I hope owners of fleets don't find frivolous reasons to stall this. We need the transportation industry to get safer, not just for the occupants but also other motorists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by centaur (Post 4520887)
My post was more from an enforcement standpoint than anything else.

Good move, much appreciated. I share concern about enforcement with centaur, but the first step is always to have the rule in place, so much appreciated. Once you have proper rules in place, it is just a matter of time before they get enforced.
Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4520944)
Trucking has come a long way for our Country. I still say that things have improved with them, especially the visibility at nights due to most trucks now equipped with LED for tail lamps.

Mandatory (or even forceful) sticking of reflective stripes at the rear has also immensely helped. Since I mostly and very regularly drive at nights.
However, construction trucks transporting Sand, Cement etc still are a big threat on our highways mainly due to inexperienced (and shuttle) drivers and nothing else.

+1. Trucking indeed has come a long way, working environments have improved and so have the wages. I have met some truck drivers who've earned enough to buy their own taxi's and are running travel agencies. My friend, who owns two trucks had recently mentioned that the salaries for drivers range from 50-60K a month apart from whatever else (siphoning off fuel, extra trips etc) they do to earn. Having said this, i had a question for you which might be slightly OT, I keep seeing trucks being pulled over after almost every toll booth on the highways, not sure about the reason. I personally, would be pissed(would feel that i'm being harassed) if i am following all the rules and am being pulled over all the time. Is there any legitimate reason behind this?

Step in the right direction. The Ministry of Surface Transport has been very active these 5 years under Gadkari. Rarely seen MoST so pro-active. It was always a backyard ministry. Now for some real police reforms.