Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2019, 21:04   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK

So this thread will be about the FleetAirArm museum. But just some context as to how I found myself there:

My wife has many hobbies and interests. One of them is period dress making. She is an excellent seamstress. Living in Delhi was fantastic for this hobby as there is such an abundance of all kind of materials, fabrics etc. She was always strolling around every market buying cloth and fabric.

Most of her dress making is Regency period. It was in this period that famous novelist Jane Austin lived. She lived for some years in Bath. And Bath has sort of taken ownership of Jane Austin. A whole city that lives and breathes Jane Austin. It also organises the annual Jane Austin festival. As you can imagine my wife has been one of the regular participants. Hundreds if not thousands of people dress up in Jane Austin / Regency period dress.

Ellen and Hetty

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9156749.jpg

Mrs D. and her girls

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9156766.jpg

My wife usually takes my daughter and some friends. She will make all garments herself, endless fitting session etc. So far, every year I had managed to be conveniently busy during the Jane Austin festival. Last year my wife was adamant I would come along to take some photographs of her, our daughter Ellen and friend Hetty.

Some impression of the streets of Bath during the Jane Austin festival

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9156942.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9157016.jpg

So after one full day of photograph I had seen enough of Bath and Jane Austin. The ladies had all sort of parties and functions to attend. I was informed my services would not be required anymore. So I googled a bit to see if I could find a more manly pursuit. Sure enough I came across the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm museum. I thought I knew most of of the British aviation and military museums, but to be honest I had never heard of this one. Turned out to be quite the gem!

https://www.fleetairarm.com

It is located in Yeovil, Somerset. It took only about an hours driving from Bath. Sufficient parking right in front of the museum. The Fleet Air Arm is one of the five fighting arms or branches of the Royal Navy. It is responsible for the operation of naval aircraft. So anything that can land and take off from a naval ship comes under their command. The museum collection has quite some unique aircraft in its collection. Also, it features a true to life aircraft carrier deck simulation! More about this further on.

Quite a few helicopters on display as you will see:

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167025.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167026.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167027.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167028.jpg

For some reason I seem not to have taken an image from the outside of this one, a Sikorsky Seaking. I was probably too eager to step inside and look at the cockpit

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167032.jpg

At the back various electronic workstations. These helicopters could dip a sonar probe into the sea and listen for submarines and drop torpedoes. I remember the Seakings primarily from when I was watching the American astronauts being picked up from their capsule after landing in the sea as part of the Apollo program

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167034.jpg

Look at this, might be old, but it does look as if it packed a punch

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167030.jpg

Some more old hardware

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167036.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167037.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167038.jpg

Next I came across this one, a Corsair. One of my all time favourite American planes.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167039.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167044.jpg

Have a look at why this plane is unique:

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167056.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167054.jpg

The museum had Provost on display with an open cockpit so anybody could climb in. They organise regular open cockpit days as well throughout the year. Most cockpits of all of these planes will be open to the public on those days.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167057.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167050.jpg

Some nice models on display. Here a sizeable model of the HMS Indomitable

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167040.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167041.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167042.jpg

See if you can identify these

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167045.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167046.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167048.jpg

Of course, being an engineer, I always like to look at these sort of engines. They look like works of art!

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167058.jpg

A couple of overview shots

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167051.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167053.jpg

I don’t think this Mig 15 was ever part of the FAA

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167052.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th January 2019 at 23:06.
Jeroen is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 21:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK

Next I went to experience a "tour on the Carrier Deck"!!

The tour starts with a short introduction video. You are being invited as a guest aboard a carrier. You have to fly out to meet the carrier somewhere out at sea. you leave the video room and they let you board a Sea king helicopter. They close the door and then you can hear the pilots talking on the radio, the engine and rotor starting, the thing start shaking and after a few minutes you “land” on the carrier.

This is what you will see:

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167061.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167062.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167063.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167065.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167066.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167067.jpg

There are lots of noises, jet engines whaling, people talking on the PA system. Then the carrier commences launch operations. The deflectors open up from out of the deck, the engines start spooling up, re-heat lit!! Massive sound!!

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167068.jpg

It is really well done! Some more impressions of the flight deck

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167069.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167070.jpg

Then time for the recovery operation to start. They have this massive screen at the back of the carrier. Over the PA system you are being told what is going on, where to stand, jet engines screaming!

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167074.jpg

First they launch a helicopter. It will stay on station just of the port side of the carrier. In case of a plane ending up in the sea (happens from time to time) the chopper will be in position to pick up the pilots within seconds.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167075.jpg

Buccaneer on final

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167076.jpg

Slams into the deck, Catches the arresting wire, engines to full power!

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167077.jpg

Stopped.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167078.jpg

The Marshaller giving instructions to the pilot, arrestor wire being un hooked

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167082.jpg

Wings folded, taxi carefully across the deck

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167084.jpg

With the planes safely recovered you are invited for a tour of the carrier. Some images to give you an impression

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167088.jpg

The bridge

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167090.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167092.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167097.jpg

Pilots briefing room

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167098.jpg

You get to see the deck from the air boss station as well

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167101.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167102.jpg

I enjoyed the experience. It is obviously not real carrier deck, but the planes and all the equipment are real. Also, the tour inside through the various decks is very well done.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167100.jpg  

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th January 2019 at 23:16.
Jeroen is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 21:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

After the carrier experience I arrived at the last display hall. As you will see quite some remarkable aircraft here;

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167112.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167123.jpg

I had a long look at two planes I had heard about, read about, but never seen in real life. The first is the Handley Page 115. A research aircraft which was used to explore the use of delta wings which ultimately led to Concorde.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167111.jpg

The next unique plane is the Fairey Delta / BAC 221. Again a research aircraft. It was the first jet that broke through 1000mph level flight.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167122.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167121.jpg

The also one of the earlier Harriers on display.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167115.jpg

And one of the more recent one:

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167118.jpg

Here you see the unique Harrier engine, the Pegasus. You can see the huge nozzle that can rotate to allow the jet to take off vertically and transition to horizontal flight and vice versa.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167114.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167126.jpg

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167124.jpg

The wingtip has little outlets too. It is all part of the control system for hovering.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167125.jpg

All in all, a very nice little museum. Very impressive collection of planes and well curated. Very close by is also the Haynes Motoring museum. Haynes is best known for it’s workshop manuals. It is a nice museum with quite a large collection. Worth a visit. But I had to get back to my ladies back in Batch. Driving back into Bath makes for a nice view:

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-p9167129.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th January 2019 at 23:08.
Jeroen is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 23:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing, Jeroen!
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 06:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for sharing. The Fleet Air Arm was and still is a first rate service run down in size by a long line of second rate politicians. While the Americans are the big boys in Naval aviation today it was the Fleet Air Arm that invented all the innovations that today constitute the fundamentals of carrier aviation starting with the first through deck carrier, HMS Argus, and onto steam catapults, mirror deck landing sights, the angled deck and even the ski ramp. I hope the FAA gets back in to full business with their 2 new carriers.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 11:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK

Thanks for sharing.

The Fleet Arm Air museum seems to well organised. The open cockpit days are an interesting way to attract more people to the museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

For some reason I seem not to have taken an image from the outside of this one, a Sikorsky Seaking. I was probably too eager to step inside and look at the cockpit
Here's how the helicopter looks:
Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK-uss_san_diego_conducts_flight_operations_cropped.jpg
Image source: Wikimedia Commons

I'll probably visit this museum the next time I am in the UK. I would love to see the BAC Concorde. The only Concorde I have seen is the Air France Concorde kept on display at the Intrepid Museum in New York.
Old 28th January 2019, 12:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
I'll probably visit this museum the next time I am in the UK. I would love to see the BAC Concorde. The only Concorde I have seen is the Air France Concorde kept on display at the Intrepid Museum in New York.
There are lots of aviation museums in the UK. Depending on where your trip takes you, I suggest try and see the Imperial War Museum at Duxford, just south of Cambridge. By far the largest collections of planes.

It also has a Concorde, one of the very first ones that was used for testing.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...uxford-uk.html (Imperial War Museum Duxford, UK)

Jeroen

Most Viewed