Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2007, 16:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
A/C in the Ace Van might be a difficult proposition considering that the engine will be within the cabin itself and will take a lot more power to cool the engine..
Is the engine of the Ace under the driver's seat or at the rear? I thought it was a rear-mounted rear-wheel-drive, but I could be wrong.
Old 19th January 2007, 16:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think its gonna be worth waiting for this "VAN". However, all i want is that the van, should be having quality interiors plus bigger and broader wheels...
Old 19th January 2007, 17:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Is the engine of the Ace under the driver's seat or at the rear? I thought it was a rear-mounted rear-wheel-drive, but I could be wrong.
Engine placement in the Ace is quite similar to that of Maruti Omni - between the driver and co-drivers' seats, under the floor, somewhat towards the rear end of the cab. Drive is to the rear wheels, again like in Omni.

Interestingly, while Omni provides independent suspension at the front, Ace has a rigid, I-beam axle with leaf springs and this would have a bearing on the comfort level. Wonder if they'll retain the same set up for the passenger version also.
Old 20th January 2007, 14:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Tata is also coming out with a Versa type of van. Spotted by my bro being tested in Pune. Also seen a carrier-type of van being tested by PAL. Guess it was the Sigma.
Old 20th January 2007, 14:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Tata is also coming out with a Versa type of van. Spotted by my bro being tested in Pune. Also seen a carrier-type of van being tested by PAL. Guess it was the Sigma.
Yes, I have seen the Ace type pickup based on the Sigma here. The Versa type could be the Trafik.
Old 20th January 2007, 14:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I think its gonna be worth waiting for this "VAN". However, all i want is that the van, should be having quality interiors plus bigger and broader wheels...
Who cares about the Safety Factor eh??

I think it will be an engineering challenge for Tata to provide even an A/C in this Van considering that this will be a diesel engine and will be located inside the Van near/below the Drivers A**. Ha Ha.. This would like putting the Driver on the Hot-Seat in its literal sense.. Hee Hee.. Since a diesel gets more hot than a petrol engine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
Interestingly, while Omni provides independent suspension at the front, Ace has a rigid, I-beam axle with leaf springs and this would have a bearing on the comfort level. Wonder if they'll retain the same set up for the passenger version also.
Which again means re-engineering the suspension. I think they'll have to think seriously about the suspension again.

They can do a better job by putting the same principle in use that they did for the 407. Provide an engine in the front that is half-way outside the cabin and half-way inside the cabin, with the heat-generating part on the outermost side of the cabin. That way, the vehicle can get better air-cooling characteristics.

I guess some spy shots are the need of the hour to give any further comment on the engineering of the Ace Van.. Personally, we've owned the Omni and still love it very much except for the safety factor..
Old 20th January 2007, 14:35   #22
BHPian

By the way, Force Motors might soon introduce a Four Wheeled version of its best-selling Three Wheeler Minidor. I'd seen it testing on NH4/Mum-Pune Expway a couple of months ago and it will be in direct competition with the Tata Ace. Dimensionally and looks wise very similar to the Ace/
Old 22nd January 2007, 05:52   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
But CNG is not available in the Rural Markets and although people have successfully used the LPG kits in the Omni, it isn't very safe to use LPG in this segment of vehicles.
Why are you saying that fitting LPG in Omni is unsafe as long as the kits are certified by ARAI & DOE. In India, the best vehicle to fit the LPG is Omni since even after the fitment there is still some boot space left and any type of kits can be easily accommodated.
Old 22nd January 2007, 10:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Pics please

Hi All,

Can someone post the pictures of this "Van". I remember seeing it in Overdrive but i am unable to find that copy now...

Thanks!
Old 22nd January 2007, 23:56   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Never heard anyone complaining about the noise/vibration level of Hyundai Accent 3 cylinder CRDI engine, other than British journalists!
Accent CRDi is a noisy car from outisde... But, sound doesnt penetrate into the car, so its ok... Drive, with the windows down, and you'd be surprised at how much noise the motor makes...

However, not complaining, cause i dont own one... and i drive my friends car always with ac on and music too... No problemo...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks