Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2007, 15:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata ACE van

Dont know if this is old news, but I saw a Tata ACE Van (looks like Maruti Omni) being tested on NH4. I wonder why they camouflaged it .. probably because its ugly

I guess they will sell like hot cakes when Tata eventually launches it in the market... Just imagine a tad bigger diesel Maruti Omni !!
Old 18th January 2007, 15:17   #2
BHPian

maybe we will get a predecessor to the 1 lakh tata car. btw to me it looks some sort of cute. surely beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 18th January 2007 at 15:19.
Old 18th January 2007, 15:20   #3
BHPian

The same van's spy pic is featured in some older issue of Overdrive. This thing is definitely gonna give the Omni and 3-wheelers a run for their money. Plus it's a diesel.
Old 18th January 2007, 15:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Tata ACE pick up is a big hit in the domestic tempo market and quite a load carrier. The van version might be a substitute to those 7 seven seater diesel rickshaws from Force
Old 18th January 2007, 16:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The Tata ACE pick up is a big hit in the domestic tempo market and quite a load carrier. The van version might be a substitute to those 7 seven seater diesel rickshaws from Force
Exactly my thoughts.. I am sick and tired of overtaking those slow moving Force rickshaws (engine looks and sounds like a bolted on water pump).
Old 18th January 2007, 19:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Exactly my thoughts.. I am sick and tired of overtaking those slow moving Force rickshaws (engine looks and sounds like a bolted on water pump).
I hope the silent Tata Ace will replace the thaka-thaka-thaka-thaka (that is the verbal description of their sound) sounding clatter of the diesel 3-wheeler 7-seater rickshaws.
Old 18th January 2007, 19:55   #7
BHPian

This van is based on the ACE platform,it has a de-tuned indica engine and also indica gear-box.It will be a product ot TATA CV division and is to be launched mid 2008.even a A/c version is being tested.....is what was revealed by reliable sources from TATA ASO-Bangalore.
Old 18th January 2007, 21:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
This van is based on the ACE platform,it has a de-tuned indica engine and also indica gear-box.It will be a product ot TATA CV division and is to be launched mid 2008.even a A/c version is being tested.....is what was revealed by reliable sources from TATA ASO-Bangalore.
You mean its a 4 cylinder 1.4 liter engine.
Old 18th January 2007, 21:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

You are right ,ACE may be one of the platforms suggested in TATA's 1 lakh car project ........
Old 18th January 2007, 22:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I think ACE has 2 cylinder .7 L deisel engine.
I think the same will come into this new one.
How about 3 cylinder 1L deisel engine???
BTW, 3 cylinder deisel engines?? is it a correct configuration w.r.t. vibrations?
Never heard about such a configuration. (i know M800 and old accent crdi are 3 cylinder engines)
Old 19th January 2007, 01:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Thats true.Power out-put is lower than indica and share's a lot from indica,

Product orientation course's(for dealer's and Bs3 TASS's) have begun in pune and it is also being Tested with a/c.

ACE carrier has 2 cylinder 700cc engine and is a rather crude(but tough and reliable) engine,This on other had is being projected against the likes of Maruti Omni,

So the theory is thus-indica being heavier is giving 14+ in city,this engine being de-tuned for mileage will be noticably more,

Is a diesel and will be priced v.attractively,

Will be a urban work horse,

Think folks a vehicle bigger than Maruti van with an adequatly powerful DIESEL engine and a mouth-watering price...
Old 19th January 2007, 11:15   #12
BHPian

Hey what about the safety factor of the Ace Van. Anything in that segment is bound to be a huge hit. Especially considering the diesel factor.

A/C in the Ace Van might be a difficult proposition considering that the engine will be within the cabin itself and will take a lot more power to cool the engine..

On a second thought, the AC might itself serve as an intercooler (in the broad sense) for the engine..
Old 19th January 2007, 12:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
BTW, 3 cylinder deisel engines?? is it a correct configuration w.r.t. vibrations?
Never heard about such a configuration. (i know M800 and old accent crdi are 3 cylinder engines)
What's wrong with 3 cylinders? Three are anyday better than two (Ace)and two are better than one (Ace's competitors). Increasing the no. of cylinders will smoothen the cycle, lowering NVH. I doubt if Tata will provide noise-reducing CRDI technology in Ace, for cost considerations.

Never heard anyone complaining about the noise/vibration level of Hyundai Accent 3 cylinder CRDI engine, other than British journalists! I had read a review of Getz diesel 1.5 CRDI in Auto Car UK and it criticised the engine as very noisy. Quite predictable since it wasn't a British car.

Last edited by directinjection : 19th January 2007 at 12:27.
Old 19th January 2007, 14:15   #14
BHPian

Please remember that Maruti is positioning its Omni as a goods carrier and now provides a CNG option as well. So, Tata might also target the commercial segment to begin rather than market it as a peoples car. As far as fuel cost goes, CNG is cheaper than diesel; so too early to write-off anybody. Infact, this niche segment may expand, for all we know.
Old 19th January 2007, 16:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Please remember that Maruti is positioning its Omni as a goods carrier and now provides a CNG option as well. So, Tata might also target the commercial segment to begin rather than market it as a peoples car. As far as fuel cost goes, CNG is cheaper than diesel; so too early to write-off anybody. Infact, this niche segment may expand, for all we know.
Off-Topic !!

But CNG is not available in the Rural Markets and although people have successfully used the LPG kits in the Omni, it isn't very safe to use LPG in this segment of vehicles.

So the question turns to the availability of Fuel.. And in this case Diesel Rules in India. Besides if you look at all the new cars coming out in India, its going to be a Diesel economy man rather than Petrol Economy.

Enough Said, I don't want to turn this into a CNG Vs Diesel Discussion..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks