Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2019, 13:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors begins supply of 40 electric buses to Lucknow

Tata Motors is supplying 40 units of the Ultra 9m AC electric bus to the Lucknow City Transport Services Ltd. (LCTSL). The buses will be delivered over the next 4 months. The first electric bus was flagged off on February 10, 2019.

Tata Motors begins supply of 40 electric buses to Lucknow-tataevbus.jpg

The Ultra 9m AC electric bus is built at the Tata Motors and Tata Marcopolo Dharwad plants. It can seat up to 31 passengers and has features such as air-conditioning and air suspension on both, front and rear axles. The integrated electric motor generator of the bus has a peak output of 328 BHP and can deliver 194 BHP continuously. The bus comes with roof-mounted, liquid-cooled lithium-ion batteries that offer a maximum range of 150 km on a single charge. Tata Motors has also installed a fast charging station for buses at the Alambagh depot.

Tata Motors begins supply of 40 electric buses to Lucknow-tataevbus2.jpg

In addition to Lucknow, Tata will be supplying 255 electric buses to WBTC (West Bengal), AICTSL (Indore), ASTC (Guwahati), J&KSRTC (Jammu) and JCTSL (Jaipur).

Tata Motors begins supply of 40 electric buses to Lucknow-tataevbus3.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 14:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors begins supply of 40 electric buses to Lucknow

I don't think I have seen an EV bus review here on team-bhp yet. Could this be the first?
Old 11th February 2019, 19:58   #3
BANNED

The battery placement is very surprising. It should be placed at the bottom. Its going to mess with the center of gravity of the bus.

Last edited by GTO : 12th February 2019 at 10:18. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts correctly
djoel99 is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 12th February 2019, 01:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoel99 View Post
The battery placement is very surprising. It should be placed at the bottom. Its going to mess with the center of gravity of the bus.
Mercedes Benz Citaro Hybrid has similar configuration with battery mounted on the top.
I am not an expert, but I am absolutely sure that the designers and engineers have definitely thought of the CG and stability of before dumping the company funds into the project.

Last edited by GTO : 12th February 2019 at 10:19. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
TSourav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 14:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it on some kind of trial runs in partnership with the transport authority or have they bought these buses outright?

Would be curious to know the realistic range. With AC, and passenger load would be interesting to see if it will be able to deliver 150 kms on a single charge as promised. Also how long does it take to charge fully to deliver that range? Bigger battery packs might need more time is what I am guessing.

Given the abundance of sunlight up north for most months around the year, wouldn't charging the batteries on the go with a solar panel on the roof help? I understand, all this is subject to economic considerations as well.
Old 13th February 2019, 09:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoel99 View Post
Buses don't go as fast as cars and upon getting loaded with passengers the over all centre of gravity (CG) will still be within safe limits.
The battery packs are usually accompanied by a cooling system that circulated chilled coolant into the battery pack. The coolant in turn needs a refrigeration system to loose heat. We don't have enough room for all these at the belly of a bus.
Also placing the battery on the roof top protects the battery from a side impact or belly impact, and restricts easy access to laymen who wash and grease the bus.
And in the belly side EVs will be equipped with large electric motors which may some times need a full fledged cooling system like the battery. This may also consume space.
ilangop is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 10:37   #7
BANNED

I guess with the buses being used for 'local' runs the CG is of no real import. I agree a lower position (underfloor) may have been preferable. Also unlike Mahindra, Tata have no experience in EVs. So this will be worth watching.
Old 14th February 2019, 09:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I guess with the buses being used for 'local' runs the CG is of no real import. I agree a lower position (underfloor) may have been preferable. Also unlike Mahindra, Tata have no experience in EVs. So this will be worth watching.
Sir, I beg to differ. TML had started off with working on EVs even before Mahindra.
Referring to the article below,
http://www.tmetc.com/portfolio/tata-vista.aspx
Tata was already ready for Low Carbon Challenge (in 2010) far before Mahindra had started putting baby steps in this direction.

This happened in 2010.
https://www.thehindu.com/business/co...le16303580.ece

International bench marks for EV buses also direct to placing batteries in the roof top.
https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...05-citaro.html
https://www.eenewspower.com/news/ele...range-extender
Old 4th April 2019, 08:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Government may blacklist Tata Motors for delaying delivery of e-buses.

Link

Most Viewed