Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2019, 17:53   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Boeing 737 Max crashes and grounding

^^^
What about the modifications?
Does this mean that the aircraft have to be flown to Boeing, who will then upgrade/ modify it, and then it will be recertified by the FAA?

Has it been decided what rework needs to be done?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th November 2019, 18:28   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
What about the modifications?
Does this mean that the aircraft have to be flown to Boeing, who will then upgrade/ modify it, and then it will be recertified by the FAA?

Has it been decided what rework needs to be done?
I am not sure what has been decided on modifications and or rework. Depending on the type of modification it could be handled by the appropriate maintenance crews of operators themselves. Maybe they will require a bit of additional training too? Lots of modifications throughout the lifespan of an aircraft get done through the normal maintenance departments. Not every operator has their own maintenance department that could do this. Again, it will require certification and or accreditation by Boeing and the respective aviation authorities.

So it remains to be seen if these aircraft need to returned to Boeing. I am not sure how the interaction between the FAA and the other regulators would be.

Normally any Boeing aircraft leaving the Boeing factory would have its appropriate FAA air worthiness certificate. If the plane belongs to an overseas operator they would issue their air worthiness certificate. Based on the FAA certificate and their own requirements.

One thing is for sure, nobody is going to issue a certificate without the FAA air worthiness certificate in place! So it is up to the FAA to decide how they will handle the re-certification of the overseas Maxes.

At least that would be my lay-man assumption? Maybe V.Narayan has some more insights on how this would have worked in the past and how it is likely to work for these Maxes going forward with the FAA wanting to certify individual planes. And most of the Maxes being ground outside the USA.

Jeroen
Old 28th November 2019, 18:49   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If Boeing rectifies the MCAS firmware to the approved version including inputs from both AoA sensors, installs the optional 'AoA mismatch' cockpit indicator light etc, recalibrates the AoA sensors either themselves (or through approved third parties) and checks all relevant hardware, WHY has the FAA still reserved the right to inspect and certify each aircraft?

I mean, what else is bespoke about individual MAX 8s that could differ from airplane to airplane?
The answer is in the earlier post:

Quote:
Until the Administration is satisfied that Boeing has “fully functional quality control and verification processes.”
So the way I read that is that the FAA wants to see proof that Boeing has learned it’s lesson and is able to consistently modify these planes, has the necessary control and verification processes in place etc.

To be blunt: The FAA simply does not trust Boeing anymore. So they are going to check, double check, triple check, random check everything Boeings does and document. Boeing will not be able to sign off on anything anymore.

And the FAA will continue to do so, till such time they feel Boeing is capable of performing the modifications by themselves with a normal level of oversight only.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 19:19   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

At least that would be my lay-man assumption?
Word of the day!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 19:25   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Word of the day!
There is a tremendous amount of stuff out there, I have no clue about. Spelling and grammer being chief amongst not having a clue about!
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 19:27   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Word of the day!

Regards
Sutripta
Thank you Jeroen & Sutripta.

I'm now totally confused between Deepmind, Deepthought, Deepfake and Deepthroat
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 19:31   #382
Senior - BHPian

^^^
You missed out on Deep Blue.

If deepthroat (the non beanspilling type) leaves you confused you have problems!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 20:19   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If deepthroat (the non beanspilling type) leaves you confused you have problems!
Or an example of the generation gap?
We are mixing 1972 headlines with modern AI.

( and we are definitely, definitely off topic here!)
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 20:31   #384
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Wonder when the term 'whistleblower' gained currency.
If enacted in the 70s, the whistleblower protection laws would have been called ...

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th November 2019, 02:10   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder when the term 'whistleblower' gained currency.
I think that to blow the whistle on somebody, meaning to expose their wrong doing, has been around longer than I have. I'd guess that it would have an origin in sport. I expect Google has a definition, a history and maybe even a graph!

Edit: here's the graph.

Edit 2:
Quote:
U.S. civic activist Ralph Nader is said to have coined the phrase, but he in fact put a positive spin on the term[8] in the early 1970s to avoid the negative connotations found in other words such as "informer" and "snitch".[9] However, the origins of the word date back to the 19th century.

The word is linked to the use of a whistle to alert the public or a crowd about a bad situation, such as the commission of a crime or the breaking of rules during a game. The phrase whistle blower attached itself to law enforcement officials in the 19th century because they used a whistle to alert the public or fellow police.[10] Sports referees, who use a whistle to indicate an illegal or foul play, also were called whistle blowers.
Wikipedia
And I'm forgetting the use of a whistle by police, etc. British police still had them when I was a child.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th November 2019 at 02:17.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:53   #386
Senior - BHPian

Find out what really happened to the Boeing 737 MAX 8 operating flight ET-302 which crashed just after take-off.

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 10:01   #387
Senior - BHPian

After the first crash, the employees at Renton were so traumatised that (far too) many of them went for therapy/ counselling. And Boeing picked up the cost. Was wondering really benevolent employer, or do they know something we don't.

Now (IMO) it adds up.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/09/b...tleblower.html
Not just the MCAS.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 13th December 2019, 11:18   #388
Senior - BHPian

TheFlightChannel recreates what exactly went wrong with Lion Air Flight 610 and caused it to crash immediately after take off. Part of blame goes to the pilots but actually a mis-calibrated AOA sensor activated MCAS which caused the crash.

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 15:35   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Spice Jet has grounded it's 3 Boeing 737 freighters after defects were found in them. Although they're older models which have been retrofitted for cargo operations by Israeli Aerospace Industries, it's good to see that they've been taken off air.

Spice Jet Cargo
Old 16th December 2019, 20:14   #390
Senior - BHPian

Boeing had been saying that it expected FAA certification by December.
FAA's response
initially this and now this resulting in this.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks