Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2019, 03:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Qute quadricycle priced from Rs. 2.63 lakh

Didn't Bajaj criticize Tata Motors for the 'nano' questioning as to what the 'nano' was trying to be. Now they have a product with clearly inferior specifications in all respects and starting at a much higher base price. This product to get any traction will have to priced less.
smooth indian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 07:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Another gem from Rajiv Bajaj.

For all the negativity he showed towards the Tata Nano and the tantrums he threw that Bajaj didn't get support from the Government, the Qute product and pricing looks like a self parody.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 07:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

The irony that is the Indian automobile market!
A well engineered Tata Nano for transport of the masses did not appeal to the very masses. This seems neither well engineered not is it an SUV
Cannot fathom how the Qute is pitched as personal transport, if Bajaj has any feeler for the aspirational Indian customer!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 08:33   #19
BHPian

Just saw Faisal's review of this thing and 2 points immediately struck me:

a) No AC : This was kind of expected in a 10 h.p machine but this will be a furnace on wheels on a typical Delhi afternoon!
b) There are vents on the front grill that open on the A-Pillar so that air is circulated while on the move: I may be nitpicking but i don't want bugs/insects to get from the front grill and hit me on my face when i am driving this thing
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 09:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think the Tata Nano failed only because of the bad timing of launch. If it were launched alongside the Qute, it would have sold like hot cakes
jinojohnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 09:45   #21
Team-BHP Support

Ceasefire gentlemen, ceasefire! If Alto was such good value for money (for commercial passenger use), Bajaj wouldn't be selling 300,000 autorickshaws per year. For a sticker price of Rs. 2 Lakhs ex-showroom, this is what you get -

Bajaj Qute quadricycle priced from Rs. 2.63 lakh-autorick.jpg

Now what do you think? Rs. 2.6 Lakhs ex-showroom for Bajaj Qute is not too bad eh? Alto cannot compete against autorickshaw and Bajaj Qute since it will have approximately 2x times running costs (city fuel economy + maintenance).

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th March 2019 at 09:49.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 10:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think this will be a direct competition to Tata Magic Iris and Mahindra Jeeto Minivan.

Bajaj Qute quadricycle priced from Rs. 2.63 lakh-tatamagicirisneonrush.jpg
Tata Iris comes with a 600C diesel mill which churns out 12.5 HP of power and 38 Nm of torque and is priced from 2.7L ex-showroom.

Bajaj Qute quadricycle priced from Rs. 2.63 lakh-colors_white_img.jpg
Mahindra Jeeto minivan comes with 625 CC single cylinder diesel engine and offers 16 HP of power and 38 Nm of torque.

IMHO, these two looks much better than the Qute and have already made their presence in the auto-taxi market.

(Pics download from respective manufacturer websites)
--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 10:40   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
If Alto was such good value for money (for commercial passenger use), Bajaj wouldn't be selling 300,000 autorickshaws per year. For a sticker price of Rs. 2 Lakhs ex-showroom, this is what you get -.
The rickshaw has only commercial buyers; it is a work tool. Hence, despite it being overpriced, an owner-driver makes profits off it.

No personal owner is going to buy the Qute at this price. And I doubt too many potential rickshaw owners will consider it either, due to the higher price and hard body (jumping in and out of a rickshaw is more practical + you get free open air-conditioning + easier to stuff more people).

However, where the Qute might make headways is in the taxi market. As an example, the rickshaw is not allowed in South Bombay (you only see them in the suburbs). If the Qute is permitted, then it might lead to penetration in the cab market.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 11:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
So if I understood this correctly it is illegal to have more than two people ride a Pulsar 220 whereas this Qute with the same engine can legally carry four people and cargo too !!

Doesn't sound too cute. What am I missing?
We are missing 2 wheels legally, Pulsar has 2 wheels, so it can carry 2 people. Qute has 4 wheels, so it can carry 4 people.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 11:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, where the Qute might make headways is in the taxi market. As an example, the rickshaw is not allowed in South Bombay (you only see them in the suburbs). If the Qute is permitted, then it might lead to penetration in the cab market.
In Kerala, commercial vehicles like Tata Magic Iris and Mahindra Jeeto minivan is considered as a separate entity called 'Auto-Taxi' and have their own parking stands and tariffs (Which are higher than auto, but lesser than the taxi), and is doing a roaring business. I think Qute also will join the same line but need to wait and see the acceptance from the market.

I think in a similar way, the Qute can find takers in tier 2 and tier 3 cities where penetration of ride-hailing apps are less.

--Anoop

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2019 at 06:02. Reason: typo fixed
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 17:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I think the Tata Nano failed only because of the bad timing of launch. If it were launched alongside the Qute, it would have sold like hot cakes
I don't know why effort wasn't spent (by TM) on re-working the Nano (maybe add some bells and whistles) and sell at a higher price point.

It really has a road presence in its own way, I feel.

Maybe even move engine to the front. Though I agree that moving engine to front is a major, major rework.

Coming back to the Qute, if its mostly non-metallic body, small engine, etc, I don't understand why its so expensive. It ought to be atleast a lakh cheaper.
Old 26th March 2019, 18:55   #27
BHPian

Tata should surprise Bajaj by launching Nano as autorickshaw / cab at same price point. Magic Iris being diesel will not be welcomed in many areas.
The Nano-rick can also market as D+4 seats and earn its owners more revenue for 1 additional passenger
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 00:37   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Tata should surprise Bajaj by launching Nano as autorickshaw / cab at same price point. Magic Iris being diesel will not be welcomed in many areas.
The Nano-rick can also market as D+4 seats and earn its owners more revenue for 1 additional passenger
That'll be a regressive step. The Nano had a shot and was given a thumbs down. End of story.

The Ace and Magic have proven to be winners in their own might.
Old 27th March 2019, 02:20   #29
BHPian

Feeling disappointed. I really had hope on Qute.

Whenever I see a family with kids on motorcycle, especially sleeping infants dangling through mother’s arms, my heart skips a beat. Of course we can keep blaming their ignorance but the fact is most of us cannot afford a car and it’s running costs. In the age when car prices are soaring high, the poor mans vehicle is limited to a motorcycle. Need is real, the gap is wide and we have no solution.

Sometimes I wonder why can’t we just add a wheel or two and convert a motorcycle into something that has better stability, has seats for two kids, is affordable to everyone.

If the thing of interest is just about commuting from point A to point B, a 125cc modern engine can churn out enough to sustain motive with the additional load. In good old days, people have done overlanding from London to Bombay on a 10.5 h.p. Hillman Husky (Related thread (Vintage Overlanding! Driving Cross-Country back in the day)).

All such contemplation made me think, we need to define a segment of ultra cheap four wheelers which may not be as safe as a standard car but certainly safer compared to a motorcycle. I had hoped, Qute could fill this gap. Very Unfortunate.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 27th March 2019 at 02:26.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 06:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Feeling disappointed. I really had hope on Qute.

Whenever I see a family with kids on motorcycle, especially sleeping infants dangling through mother’s arms, my heart skips a beat. Of course we can keep blaming their ignorance but the fact is most of us cannot afford a car and it’s running costs. In the age when car prices are soaring high, the poor mans vehicle is limited to a motorcycle. Need is real, the gap is wide and we have no solution.

Sometimes I wonder why can’t we just add a wheel or two and convert a motorcycle into something that has better stability, has seats for two kids, is affordable to everyone.

If the thing of interest is just about commuting from point A to point B, a 125cc modern engine can churn out enough to sustain motive with the additional load. In good old days, people have done overlanding from London to Bombay on a 10.5 h.p. Hillman Husky (Related thread (Vintage Overlanding! Driving Cross-Country back in the day)).

All such contemplation made me think, we need to define a segment of ultra cheap four wheelers which may not be as safe as a standard car but certainly safer compared to a motorcycle. I had hoped, Qute could fill this gap. Very Unfortunate.
Interesting view point and if I'm not wrong, something like this is what prompted Ratan Tata to start the work on a car like the Nano.

However, this has proven to be a failure. Decent Pre-owned cars are available from as low as One Lakh. People don't want to spend 2-3 Lakhs on a four wheeler that doesn't win the perceived richness factor with their friends and neighbours.

Also think about the below as well:
Why do people who own a four wheeler still travel with their kids on a two-wheeler?
Why do people who own a four wheeler/earn more than a million a year but ride a commuter two-wheeler to work without even a helmet?

Priorities I guess.

Last edited by kiku007 : 27th March 2019 at 06:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks