Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 06:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bajaj Qute quadricycle priced from Rs. 2.63 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And I doubt too many potential rickshaw owners will consider it either, due to the higher price and hard body (jumping in and out of a rickshaw is more practical + you get free open air-conditioning + easier to stuff more people).
But an Auto Rickshaw has terrible drive comfort. This would be more car like and therefore more comfortable. I think Bajaj's target market is not the private buyer but this to be used as a more advanced, more comfortable variant of the auto rickshaw.
Old 27th March 2019, 07:12   #32
BHPian

Unpopular opinion, but I guess Qute can be successful in rural and urban sectors.

1. Rural - It can help provide end to end solution of private taxi, which are often not available at distant local railway stations, and earlier people were forced to take the shared auto without doors/human-drawn rickshaws for short distances.

2. Urban - Instead of fixed route journeys, this may find a space in Ola Micro/Auto categories, whose sole agenda is point AtoB at min. cost. Lack of AC at a similar price means higher profits for both the driver and aggregator.
The lack of torque is worrying at flyovers, but I often see loaded Autos climbing up the flyover ramp, so I don't think it shall be impossible.

Honestly, I wished to see an EV variant launched alongside. It would have been the perfect complement to this entire range. Maybe Bajaj could obtain the system from Reva and plonk it here. This design looks fairly normal compared to the funky looking Reva.

Last edited by sharktale : 27th March 2019 at 07:16.
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 12:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Bajaj Qute quadricyle launch on April 18, 2019

According to a media report, Bajaj is set to formally launch the Qute in India on April 18, 2019. The quadricycle is reported to be priced at Rs. 2.63 lakh for the petrol version and Rs. 2.83 lakh for the CNG version (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Bajaj Qute quadricycle priced from Rs. 2.63 lakh-qute.jpg

The Bajaj Qute measures 2,752 mm in length, 1,312 mm in width, 1,652 mm in height and has a wheelbase of 1,925 mm. It has a luggage compartment in the front, which has a carrying capacity of 20 kg. The vehicle can also be installed with a roof rack that can hold up to 40 kg of luggage. It has fibre doors with sliding windows at the rear. It can seat up to 4 persons.

The Bajaj Qute is powered by a 216.6cc, single-cylinder petrol engine that produces 13 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 18.9 Nm of torque @ 4,000 rpm. With CNG, the peak output drops to 10.83 BHP and the torque is restricted to 16.1 Nm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed gearbox that can be operated via a dashboard-mounted sequential shifter. The claimed top speed of the quadricycle is 70 km/h.

Source: NDTV

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 16th April 2019 at 12:48.
TusharK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 13:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj offering (Quadricycle) - INR 2.63 Lac (P) and INR 2.83 Lac (CNG) respectively (Ex-Showroom)

Maruti offering (Alto 800 Std) - INR 2.67 Lac (P) and INR 3. 88 Lac (CNG) respectively (Ex-Showroom Delhi)

It is difficult to justify the reason to pick up Bajaj over Maruti. Am I missing something?

Even Nano become a subject of Mockery and became a lost battle for Tata because of the "Cheap" tag, Bajaj may claim to be a different product or a different class of vehicle altogether; how does it make any difference in the eye of a layman or Aam Junta !

It will be an uphill task for Bajaj !

Last edited by i74js : 16th April 2019 at 13:18.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 13:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
It is difficult to justify the reason to pick up Bajaj over Maruti. Am I missing something?
I think you are missing the TCO consideration here. This Pulsar on 4-wheels will give exceptionally high fuel-efficiency and exceptionally low maintenance costs. Alto cannot beat that, even in its dreams.

Qute is squarely aimed at the auto-rickshaw market and thus the Nano analogy may not be the right one.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 17:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
I think you are missing the TCO consideration here. This Pulsar on 4-wheels will give exceptionally high fuel-efficiency and exceptionally low maintenance costs. Alto cannot beat that, even in its dreams.

Qute is squarely aimed at the auto-rickshaw market and thus the Nano analogy may not be the right one.

No I am not missing anything. Bajaj's Qute and Tata Nano were both cheap to buy and cheap to maintain. Nano was tagged "cheap" and its fate got sealed. More so, at the time of launch, Nano was way cheaper than entry level MSIL 800.

Now on the efficiency part: The efficiency of a machine can be stated as the percentage of the output work divided by the input work minus the work lost from to friction and heat. So there would not be much difference in a fuel economy when both machines are loaded with passenger and luggage load, Instead the poor Qute would be working hard to pull the load.

I doubt what you suggest will hold good. Indian market is out of the era of cheapest / entry level cars while Qute is trying to address something that is fading away ! The benchmark will still be a proper car as we may see in the form of present generation Alto or Kwid or any upcoming machine.

More so if you are pointing towards commercial segment - that may not fulfill the hunger / appetite of Bajaj Auto.

Last edited by i74js : 16th April 2019 at 18:15.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 18:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
No I am not missing anything. Bajaj's Qute and Tata Nano were both cheap to buy and cheap to maintain.

I doubt what you suggest will hold good. Indian market is out of the era of cheapest / entry level cars while Qute is trying to address something that is fading away !

More so if you are pointing towards commercial segment - that may not fulfill the hunger / appetite of Bajaj Auto.
Why are we even comparing this with a Nano or an Alto? Is it because of the cost? If yes, an autorickshaw costs more or less the same (may be 40-50k lesser). As i said, this is squarely aimed at autorickshaw and nothing else.

While your definition of efficiency may be technically correct, i was referring to the fuel efficiency part. Qute is rated at 35kmpl or 43 km/kg and no car comes even close. I am only referring to ARAI figures as real world figures are still not available. Maintenance costs will also be very different owing to simpler construction of Qute vis-a-vis a similarly priced car.

IMO, Qute is not trying to address the cheap / entry level car segment. It is supposed to be a safer / weather proof alternate to an autorickshaw.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 20:30   #38
BHPian

I have been looking forward to the Qute launch in India for a while. It has been fairly popular in African countries for years.
From Physics/Mechanics perspective, the 3 wheeled auto is just a bad design. Moreover, the way most autos drive, taking 90 degree turns at high speeds is extremely dangerous for all around traffic and one of a major cause of congestion. It'll be much more difficult to make such turns in Qute.

Hopefully, Autowalas will accept Qute as a better alternative to Auto. I worry that the inability to make sharp turns may actually dissuade many auto drivers. Lack of good ventilation may also be an issue when stuck in traffic.

I don't understand the reason behind allowing Qute as a personal vehicle. Brace up for running into Qutes moving at 35kmph on National Highways on the fast lane.
Old 16th April 2019, 22:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

That's one "Qute" Rick with a not so Cute pricing! With those specs, I'll have to ask my passengers to disembark to be able to go up the steep ramp leading to my residence. Goes to show at low end there's no one who can out do a Maruti (Alto) 800. Tata Nano is dead and this Qute is surely dead on arrival. It's neither aimed at the autorickshaw wala nor the private buyers. It's definitely Bajaj Auto's Qute Blunder.

Old 17th April 2019, 10:14   #40
BHPian

Last week, saw one yellow color qute carrying 3 passengers in Palakkad, Kerala.
Checked with the driver about the OTR price and he said he paid around 3.1 Lakhs.
Vehicle looks okay but too narrow and also in this summer there was not much of air circulation inside (passengers were sweating profusely )
Old 18th April 2019, 18:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Qute quadricycle launched at Rs. 2.48 lakh

Bajaj has launched the Qute quadricycle in Maharashtra. It is available in two versions priced at Rs. 2,48,061 (Petrol, Personal) and Rs. 2,78,492 (CNG, Commercial) (ex-showroom, Maharashtra).

Bajaj Qute quadricycle priced from Rs. 2.63 lakh-bajaj-auto-launches-qute.jpg

The Bajaj Qute measures 2,752 mm in length, 1,312 mm in width, 1,652 mm in height and has a wheelbase of 1,925 mm. It rides on 12-inch alloy wheels and has a turning radius of 3.5 m. The petrol version comes fitted with an 8-litre fuel tank, while the CNG version comes with a 35-litre cylinder.

The Qute is powered by a 216cc, 4-valve, water-cooled engine with fuel injection. On petrol, the engine puts out 13 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 18.9 Nm of torque @ 4,000 rpm. When running on CNG, the peak output drops to 10.83 BHP and the torque is restricted to 16.1 Nm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed gearbox that comes with a dashboard-mounted sequential shifter. The claimed top speed of the Qute is 70 km/h.

The Qute is available in 6 colour options - Eco Green, Neptune Blue, Golden Yellow, Arctic White, Bright Red and Jet Black.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 19:02   #42
RWD
BHPian

What is the target segment for this awkward creation? Auto-rickshaw's alternative is what I hear this is supposed to be. But with a pricing of 3 lakh plus on the road, I don't think this is going to replace auto-rickshaws on the road in a hurry.

Last December, I visited a couple of small towns, and was shocked to see that tiny e-rickshaws had almost completely eradicated cycle-rickshaws from those towns. And, that is where I believe the future lies. Not in a 4-wheeled petrol/CNG powered rickshaw.

Qute should have been an e-vehicle to begin with, at an attractive price to make sense to the auto-rickshaw owners. At this price point Qute does not make sense.

On the other hand, a private buyer would be much better served with a pre-owned Alto 800 at these prices.
RWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 05:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
What is the target segment for this awkward creation?
Reference: https://www.financialexpress.com/ind...attle/1552691/

Extract:
Prashant R Ahir, DGM, Intra City Business, Bajaj Auto said the target segment for the company in the commercial space was the autorickshaw owner who is waiting to upgrade but cannot afford to buy a taxi, a taxi driver aspiring to own a taxi but cannot afford it, aggregators and taxi service providers. In the personal segment, they are looking at those using two wheelers and ride 40-50 kms everyday, those delivery products door to door, small vendors and women in the family using daily chores, he said. The company is also talking to Ola and Uber to include the quadricycle as a new category in their offerings, Ahir said
Old 19th April 2019, 08:34   #44
BHPian

Even if it might not sell well in India, this thing has great potential as an export product. These kind of vehicles are very popular in African and South American countries as well as Asian countries like Thailand. These might be attractive to buyers there since Bajaj already has a presence over there and Currently sells our normal auto-rickshaws there. This can be marketed as a weather proof (if it is ) autorickshaw/mini taxi in such places .
The qute is similar to the Tata Magic Iris which is pretty popular in South India as Autos or cargo vehicles for small shop owners.
Old 19th April 2019, 08:35   #45
BHPian

Quadricycle - being a new segment altogether how it will be taxed under different RTOs?
Just tried to find the information about on road price of this contraption, but was unable to find it.

If it is taxed with lower rates, then it has a little chance of survival (because of slightly lower cost) otherwise we all know what is most-likely fate of this Bajaj.

Most Viewed