Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 4th June 2019, 12:34   #76
BHPian

Default Re: How come the PSU banks are saving Jet Airways, but didn't do the same for Kingfisher?

Why are the ex-Jet planes not being fully painted in the new airlines livery. Is it because the airlines are only taking the planes on a short term lease to tide over the summer flights crisis. Or is it because of the time required to repaint and change all the interiors
pganapathy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 12:38   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How come the PSU banks are saving Jet Airways, but didn't do the same for Kingfisher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Why are the ex-Jet planes not being fully painted in the new airlines livery. Is it because the airlines are only taking the planes on a short term lease to tide over the summer flights crisis. Or is it because of the time required to repaint and change all the interiors
Because to take the aircraft out of service rotation and get it a full repaint into Spicejet livery will take some days during which it could be flying and earning money for the airline. Unscheduled taking it out of service also means flight delays and reimbursement to passengers whose bookings are cancelled.

There are scheduled maintenance intervals such as C and D checks where the aircraft is grounded and extensive service takes place. The fuselage can be fully repainted during that time.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 15:41   #78
BHPian

Hello. The entire thread made up for a really interesting read. What happens now to the routes which were owned by Jet? Will any other airline operate flights on those routes? Personally, the Pune - Abu Dhabi flight by Jet Airways was a boon and I used it for almost 4 years before Jet stopped operations. I saved almost 6-8 hours by taking this flight rather than travelling all the way to Mumbai International Airport. Also the Customs and Immigration Queue is very short in Pune compared to the one in Mumbai. I could be out of the Airport and in the taxi within 30 minutes of the Flight landing in Pune.
adi.mariner is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 22:49   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Because to take the aircraft out of service rotation and get it a full repaint into Spicejet livery will take some days during which it could be flying and earning money for the airline. Unscheduled taking it out of service also means flight delays and reimbursement to passengers whose bookings are cancelled.

There are scheduled maintenance intervals such as C and D checks where the aircraft is grounded and extensive service takes place. The fuselage can be fully repainted during that time.
I agree that this would be applicable to an existing SpiceJet plane. But here you are talking about putting a new plane into SpiceJet service. Therefore you are not delaying flights or cancelling bookings.

I understand the part about putting a plane into service at the earliest to earn an income, but isn't their branding also important. If the plane is repainted and re-upholstered, it is just preventing additional income, not costing them any money
Old 4th June 2019, 23:26   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand the part about putting a plane into service at the earliest to earn an income, but isn't their branding also important. If the plane is repainted and re-upholstered, it is just preventing additional income, not costing them any money
Opportunity cost it is called. Whether to keep the plane earning more money or put it into their rotation ASAP till it is due for a service check.

That way they have a buffer against any planes breaking down or weather delays. And they can send their planes for service checks on time without stretching the service interval bit by bit.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 23:46   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Opportunity cost it is called. Whether to keep the plane earning more money or put it into their rotation ASAP till it is due for a service check.

That way they have a buffer against any planes breaking down or weather delays. And they can send their planes for service checks on time without stretching the service interval bit by bit.
Having studied Economics, I understand opportunity cost. But brand value also has a cost, albeit one that is only valuable when you take a bank loan on it, like Kingfisher did.

I am guessing the decision was taken because the government was pressurizing airlines to get planes into the air ASAP to prevent airfares rising. Thus the quickest route was just to put your airline name on it and leave all the rest of the changes (rest of the livery, seat upholstery, seat configuration etc) to a later date when the summer rush was over and planes could be rotated out peacefully.
Old 4th June 2019, 23:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am guessing the decision was taken because the government was pressurizing airlines to get planes into the air ASAP to prevent airfares rising. Thus the quickest route was just to put your airline name on it and leave all the rest of the changes (rest of the livery, seat upholstery, seat configuration etc) to a later date when the summer rush was over and planes could be rotated out peacefully.
There was a sort of land rush on those Jet aircraft - and I remember Indigo and Vistara complaining officially that Spicejet was able to grab the lion's share of these aircraft.

https://prime.economictimes.indiatim...-battle-indigo
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 12:22   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
First photo of ex Jet Airways Boeing 737-800 of Vistara has surfaced on social media. Hopefully it will be painted in Vistara livery soon
Ex-Jet Airways 737-800 in full Vistara livery.
How come the PSU banks are saving Jet Airways, but didn't do the same for Kingfisher?-1560149323357.jpg

Old 9W Regn-> New Regn with Vistara
VT-JFH -> VT-TGB
VT-JFE -> VT-TGA
VT-JBW -> VT-TGD

The 737 looks rather boring in Vistara livery.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 13:25   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Ex-Jet Airways 737-800 in full Vistara livery.
I travelled last week on one of these, Chandigarh - Delhi. They have done no changes to Interiors yet, and for some reasons, I found the staff little different. Not the usual crisp Vistara and lot of Gents, very unlike Vistara. Appears, they have hired a lot of Jet staff as well.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 13:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I travelled last week on one of these, Chandigarh - Delhi. They have done no changes to Interiors yet, and for some reasons, I found the staff little different. Not the usual crisp Vistara and lot of Gents, very unlike Vistara. Appears, they have hired a lot of Jet staff as well.
Yes the staff will be ex Jet Airways only. It will be difficult to cross train their staff from 320 to 737 in a short time
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 13:36   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Yes the staff will be ex Jet Airways only. It will be difficult to cross train their staff from 320 to 737 in a short time
Oh, so that explains. In my opinion, Vistara should not just go blindly after volumes. Though I have no mastery on the subject, Vistara is now at a totally different level and things can go bad easily. Higher volumes with little control on the quality is something not what Vistara should look at. There are enough of such players. I guess, there will be many people willing to pay 10-25 % extra over regular ones for the extra services/ comfort.
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 13:50   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Appears, they have hired a lot of Jet staff as well.
Yep; they've hired 500 ex-Jet employees apparently.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69483820.cms

Quote:
Oh, so that explains. In my opinion, Vistara should not just go blindly after volumes. Though I have no mastery on the subject, Vistara is now at a totally different level and things can go bad easily. Higher volumes with little control on the quality is something not what Vistara should look at. There are enough of such players. I guess, there will be many people willing to pay 10-25 % extra over regular ones for the extra services/ comfort.
They're going after planes. According to new rules, an airline must have 20 planes before it can start international operations (earlier condition was needing five years of domestic operations along with 20 aircraft).

Vistara has deep pockets, through SIA and Tata Sons, but this business is awful when it comes to it's merciless working capital requirement.

Quote:
Tata Sons Ltd, the holding company of Tata group, and Singapore Airlines Ltd—the two promoters of Vistara—have infused total capital of over ₹4,000 crore into the airline in the 12 months to April, according to documents filed with the corporate affairs ministry.

The large capital infusion is related to the airline’s expansion plans over the next few months.
https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...893397682.html
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 14:01   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

They're going after planes. According to new rules, an airline must have 20 planes before it can start international operations (earlier condition was needing five years of domestic operations along with 20 aircraft).

Vistara has deep pockets, through SIA and Tata Sons, but this business is awful when it comes to it's merciless working capital requirement.

]
They are not going after planes. They already had more than 20 planes and were eligible to fly international. This rush is for slots vacated by Jet Airways. The government had put down a condition that only operators who brought in additional capacity (as against redeploying aircrafts from other routes) will be allotted those slots. Vistara had a virtually non existent network from Mumbai due to slot constraints at the airport hence it was important for them to get some slots. This lead to leasing ex Jet airways aircrafts and 1 A320 NEO
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 22:40   #89
BHPian

Continue to work towards reviving Jet Airways, says Etihad

While refusing to comment on a report that it has put on hold plans to invest in Jet Airways, Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways reiterated that it is working towards finding a solution to revive the Indian airline.

"Etihad does not comment on rumour or speculation," the spokesperson said in an emailed response to Moneycontrol's query.

The executive added: “Etihad continues to work directly with key stakeholders in India to help find a solution, which would ensure Jet Airways’ return as a viable and competitive Indian airline, as it has been doing consistently for the past 15 months.”

Source: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...d-4085081.html
roby_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 09:50   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting development: an NRI investor and a consortium of Jet employees are planning to take the company through the NCLT process.

Quote:
Employees of Jet Airways (India) Ltd and London-based investor Adi Partners LLP on Friday said they will jointly bid for a 75% stake in the debt-laden airline, which is facing bankruptcy proceedings.

The platform, comprising Adi Partners and a Jet employees’ consortium, will explore taking control of the airline through the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) process, and then seek to revive it through better governance and operational efficiency. It will also consider reducing the airline’s fleet size from the current 110 aircraft.

Sanjay Viswanathan, a non-resident Indian investor and chairman of Adi Partners— which was set up in 2010 in London—said he hoped to make a formal bid by the end of this month.
Have such exercises (employees taking control of a bankrupt entity) worked out in the past?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote