Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2019, 16:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti opens 300th commercial vehicle showroom

Maruti Suzuki has opened its 300th commercial vehicle showroom. The company now has commercial vehicle retail outlets in over 230 cities in India.

Maruti opens 300th commercial vehicle showroom-maruti-commercial.jpg

Maruti Suzuki has three retail channels - Arena, Nexa and Commercial. All three channels combined, Maruti has over 2,940 showrooms in more than 1,860 towns and cities. Besides its retail channels, Maruti has over 3,630 service touch points across 1,780 cities.

Maruti Suzuki entered the commercial vehicle segment in September 2016 with the Super Carry LCV. It is powered by a 793cc, 2-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine that puts out 32 BHP @ 3,500 rpm and 75 Nm of torque @ 2,000 rpm and the CNG variant is powered by a 1.2-litre petrol engine that produces 64 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 85 Nm @ 3,000 rpm and is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 16:49   #2
BANNED

Re: Maruti opens 300th commercial vehicle showroom

Looks like the commercial wing is doing extremely well. I'm seeing these small pickups everywhere. One outlet just opened in Bhiwadi. Perhaps that engine was always designed for a commercial vehicle but ported to the Celerio to see how the market responds.

Tata and Mahindra should not take this lightly.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 13th May 2019 at 16:50.
MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 18:21   #3
BHPian

So much for the discontinuation of diesel supper carry in 2020.
Can anyone please enlighten me which CV sells the most in Maruti Suzuki's stable?
Old 14th May 2019, 08:29   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Can anyone please enlighten me which CV sells the most in Maruti Suzuki's stable?
Super Carry & Eeco Cargo. Guessing Eeco Cargo sells more as the Super Carry records sales of ~1,500 / month (sometimes going a little higher).

I'm amazed that, at a time when so many manufacturers are losing their dealerships due to shutdowns, Maruti has a whopping 300 outlets for just 2 cars! Admittedly, these CV showrooms are smaller in size and require lower investments, but still...

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2019 at 08:30.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 08:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Maruti soft launched the Carry and has slowly expanded it's reach. I think this helped them track its performance from close quarters and sort out initial issues with the product, more so the diesel engine.

I was surprised to see that they have captured a market share of 10% in the LCV segment in FY19, however, the Carry diesel will be discontinued next year since it's not BS6 ready. I expect them to lose sales in Non CNG markets such as South India.

Maruti opens 300th commercial vehicle showroom-61.jpg

Source

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 14th May 2019 at 08:48.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 08:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm amazed that, at a time when so many manufacturers are losing their dealerships due to shutdowns, Maruti has a whopping 300 outlets for just 2 cars! Admittedly, these CV showrooms are smaller in size and require lower investments, but still...
+1
300 is a very big number for just 2 products. Also, considering the fact that Carry will not be available in Diesel staring next year, the volumes will suffer. May be they are working on some more CV products.

Maruti knows that the PV industry is undergoing a big transformation and they may not be able to achieve their aggressive sales targets in the coming years. CV is a good segment to expand their wings into and gain some crucial volumes. With the growing e-commerce industry, LCV segment has been very positively impacted.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 22:28   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
+1
Also, considering the fact that Carry will not be available in Diesel staring next year.
I'd reserve judgment on that one. This 800cc powerplant is similar to the 1.5-liter one. But with just 2 cylinders.

Losing it so soon would be a total waste of engineering effort. It's not even 1 product lifecycle. It's barely half a product life. An engine is engineered keeping at least 1.5-2 product lifecycles in mind. Maruti will find a way to keep it around and get some more ROI. They might ask the team to look making it BS6 after they're done fixing the 1.5.

It's extremely difficult to establish trust among commercial buyers who rely heavily on the word of mouth. It looks like this 800cc diesel will have earned enough stars by then that Maruti can't sideline it. Besides, in the small pickup space, everyone will have to pull up their socks. Jeeto, Magic, etc will also have to go BS6. If they can, Maruti definitely can.

Most Viewed