Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2019, 10:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Ace Magic, Mahindra Jeeto, Supro minivans to be axed

According to a media report, the minivan segment in India is likely to be affected by the upcoming crash safety norms. It is said that people carriers like the Tata Ace Magic, Magic Iris, Magic Express and Mahindra's Jeeto and Supro could be discontinued as these vehicles are not built to comply with the new regulations.

Tata Ace Magic, Mahindra Jeeto, Supro minivans to be axed-tatamagicexpressfeatures.jpg

The new regulations which come into effect from July 1, 2019 require passenger vehicles with less than 9 seats to have airbags, high speed warning system, reverse parking sensors and seat-belt reminder. From October 1, 2019, these vehicles will also have to be certified for crashworthiness.

Pawan Goenka, Managing Director, Mahindra and Mahindra has confirmed that the Jeeto 4-5 seater minivan has been discontinued. Tata Motors has also hinted that the passenger versions of the Ace will not be sold once the new regulations come into force.

Source: Moneycontrol

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 1st June 2019 at 10:45.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 11:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Ace Magic, Mahindra Jeeto, Supro minivans to be axed

Does autorickshaws come under this ‘passenger vehicles with less than 9 seats’ criteria? I would find it strange if the regulation bans vehicles like Magic Ace and not the three wheeled contraptions that are autorickshaws.

It’s high time we start phasing out the autorickshaws and so called share autorickshaws from our roads. Maybe call me elitist but we won’t be progressing in terms of road safety with those contraptions on roads.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 1st June 2019 at 11:02.
Yieldway17 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 11:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Does autorickshaws come under this ‘passenger vehicles with less than 9 seats’ criteria?
These passenger vans have been placed in the same category as cars (hatchback, saloons and SUVs). Autorickshaws are in a different category.

Had I been in-charge of Jugaad department at Mahindra or Tata, I would have extended the wheelbase a bit and placed 2 tiny jumpseats at the back. Voila! We now have Tata Ace Magic/Mahindra Supro 10-seater variant

Tata Ace Magic, Mahindra Jeeto, Supro minivans to be axed-aceboot.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 1st June 2019 at 11:34.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 10:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
These passenger vans have been placed in the same category as cars (hatchback, saloons and SUVs). Autorickshaws are in a different category.

Had I been in-charge of Jugaad department at Mahindra or Tata, I would have extended the wheelbase a bit and placed 2 tiny jumpseats at the back. Voila! We now have Tata Ace Magic/Mahindra Supro 10-seater variant

Attachment 1880890
These vehicles which run as share autos in Chennai already have household stools as jump seats. Auto manufacturers have to provide space, rest of the development will be handled by drivers.
albertprince is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 11:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is this about the private registration of these mini vans ? I see a lot of them plying in my part of the country as private cars. If commercial registration is also affected , then it is ironic that the auto rickshaws are legal , but something safer like magic iris is illegal .
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tata and Mahindra still have 2 months to convert these tragic vehicles into 9+ seaters and escape from the new regulations. A crowded city bus carries a load which is double its capacity, our metro trains carry people to the extent of suffocation, less said is better about our trains. If these modes of publc transportation can exist after 2019, why target a segment which caters to the daily needs of under privileged people.
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, the minivan segment in India is likely to be affected by the upcoming crash safety norms.
About time I say. I have had the opinion that only regulation can tackle issues like safety, etc. especially where safety of others is considered. A welcome move in the right direction.

Quote:
Maybe call me elitist but we won’t be progressing in terms of road safety with those contraptions on roads.
You have a point, but let us take a holistic view here. While we are lucky to have the choice to say yes or no to an auto, there are many who don't. Further, with the CNG / electric autos, I'm sure pollution is also kept in check to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Haha, don't let the chaps at senior positions heat you. They might just hire you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
If these modes of publc transportation can exist after 2019, why target a segment which caters to the daily needs of under privileged people.
With the school season approaching, seeing kids packed like sardines in such contraption is a recipe waiting for disaster. If Govt. rules force these guys to upgrade to better ride, I'd call it a win. Case in point - the 6-seater, 3-wheeled vehicles in Panvel and surrounding areas have all been replaced by Eecos. The local administration had a role to play as they said all their permits would automatically transfer to Eecos. Take it or leave it.
blackwasp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 09:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Does autorickshaws come under this ‘passenger vehicles with less than 9 seats’ criteria?
I echo the same thought. Autorickshaws and the latest e-rickshaws should be brought under the same stringent safety criteria as other passenger vehicles and include crash safety, air bags, ABS and most importantly a fourth wheel.

Autorickshaws trundling down western express highway in Vector formation is a huge safety hazard for all involved, but is anyone looking?
Old 4th June 2019, 09:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

the magic iris is a sad casualty. a lot of auto drivers had been using them to bypass the local auto cartels and offer reasonably priced services. Pity that's going away :(
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks