Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2019, 11:18   #46
BHPian

Re: 4 train passengers die due to excessive heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
I've actually ridden on them so many times in the past 20 years, most recently a few months ago. Not sure a simple air-pocket would be nearly as effective as some kind of properly rated insulation, and not sure there is verifiably any insulation up there, either.

Is the silver paint on ALL non A/C coaches? Somehow I'd forgotten!

I don't recall ever seeing small window-type openings. Anyone have pics of these?

I suppose even with all this, it's just going to be unbearably hot at times. It can only be made worse when trains are stopping / crawling along where they're not actually intended to be.

-Eric
All coaches including general ones are painted with silver roof.

Attaching a few pics. One of them marked with the opening in red circle.

In general, hot waves is a problem, inside or outside the railway coaches !! People get affected by the heat waves even inside their own homes, just that it does not become newsworthy.

Trains are supposed to the remotest part including severely hot & cold and otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
4 train passengers die due to excessive heat-1989madecoachkerala.jpg  

4 train passengers die due to excessive heat-19110_gujarat_queen__2nd_class_coach.jpg  

4 train passengers die due to excessive heat-brokencoach89232.jpg  

aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 09:15   #47
BHPian

I was browsing & pondering how will people do in this economic slowdown, when I was reminded of this thread & decided to read thru it again.

While there are 4 reported deaths. I'm sure there would've been atleast 15-20% of people travelling in those conditions who'd developed health issues after reaching the destination.

As I think of it, I'm sure those people knew the journey was going to be hard, but the people went anyway. That's a fair number of people who chose to accept conditions harsher than rigorous imprisonment.

Why still travel? Maybe because despite harsh circumstances, they still needed to get things done in pursuance of a need or an opportunity. We as a people are rather austere if and when the need arises, fairly capable in terms of restraint & also well disciplined.

Maybe it's good that the current dispensation is making us ponder over the basics. It shakes some of us out of our indifference to realise that after 70years of freedom, there are people being forced to live their life in extremely harsh conditions where the system without a safety valve has failed them & they've paid for it by their life.

As civil society (not out of 'pity'), hope we find a way to afford a basic safe transport for public. In those matters, money should only be a matter of rationing the product so the distribution isn't benefiting freeloaders.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 09:28   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Just imagine the condition of the Loco Pilots in the loco. Not only they have to bear with the heat wave but also with the heat generated by the motors/generators in the loco. Most loco's do not have Air conditioning. In these harsh conditions they are supposed to be on full alert over the entire journey duration since thousands of lives depend on the alertness of the two loco pilots getting roasted in these super harsh conditions!
sagarpadaki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:51   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
As I think of it, I'm sure those people knew the journey was going to be hard, but the people went anyway. That's a fair number of people who chose to accept conditions harsher than rigorous imprisonment.

Why still travel? Maybe because despite harsh circumstances, they still needed to get things done in pursuance of a need or an opportunity. We as a people are rather austere if and when the need arises, fairly capable in terms of restraint & also well disciplined.
Let me give you an example. I've traveled Mumbai - Udupi on Konkan Railway in Sleeper class because 3AC wasn't available. The train goes through several tunnels on this route; most of them go on for tens of minutes. Not too hard to imagine how potentially dangerous that is; all the carbon exhaust, trapped in the tunnel that's without fresh air. Now imagine what'd happen if the train got stranded in one of these.

We can't blame the passengers for taking this route then; maybe the Railways for not providing full a/c coaches or planning for contingencies. They probably will but that will come at a cost. Are we open to paying that cost? Last I checked, there are protests every time the Railways proposes a fare hike.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 20:04   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
...We can't blame the passengers for taking this route then; maybe the Railways for not providing full a/c coaches or planning for contingencies.
OTOH I meant to highlight how deeply moving it was to see people brave harsh conditions, to make ends meet.

Quote:
They probably will but that will come at a cost. Are we open to paying that cost? Last I checked, there are protests every time the Railways proposes a fare hike.
Maybe capitalism dictates otherwise, but IMHO Citizens owe it to the nation that the conditions in the railways are not inhuman. Some sort of hybrid system may help, anyway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks