Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2019, 14:41   #1
BHPian

Standing Seats in budget airlines

When I read the article, I was astounded even to think that something such as this can be devised in a real world . They are calling it the SkyRider. Even for a country like ours where it is quite common to see folks standing in any form of commute involving transport this looks way too strange. I can just imagine myself on one of those ruminating over how bad an idea it was, hopefully it never comes to fruition. The economy airline seats are already challenging the boundary of wafer thin contraptions the SkyRider (sic) will be totally on a different level altogether.

Standing Seats in budget airlines-20190621_144011.jpg

Source:

https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-n...567-2019-06-20

https://www.indiatoday.in/lifestyle/...867-2019-06-20

Excerpts:

Now, these seats will help airlines maximise revenue by allowing to squeeze in more people on flights.

In an interview to CNN Travel, the engineering advisor at Aviointeriors, Gaetano Perugini said, "The message is, we do not want to put thousands of people in the cabin, we want to offer a multi-class configuration, which is nowadays impossible if you want to reach the maximum load of passengers."

He added, "So that means that in the same cabin, you will have a standard economy, premium economy or business class and ultra-basic economy - which is an innovation for the airline and the passenger. This is the true reason for the SkyRider."

The company compared seating on the SkyRider as comfortable as horse riding for hours. (For people who shudder at the mere idea of getting on a horse, you know how comfortable THAT might be!)
sandx is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 17:48   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Standing Seats in budget airlines

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 17:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
"So that means that in the same cabin, you will have a standard economy, premium economy or business class and ultra-basic economy - which is an innovation for the airline and the passenger. This is the true reason for the SkyRider."
Hmmm, that might be an issue. If everyone's standing on the same flight, it might make sense. But like what stopped the Nano from becoming a success, I think the reluctance to being perceived as 'cheap' by others in better seats on the same flight will result in people not opting for this. Unless, there's a physical/visual separation like the curtains between economy and first class.

The issue of having to stand for more than an hour without being able to move around is the much bigger issue of course!

Last edited by am1m : 21st June 2019 at 17:56.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 18:21   #4
BHPian

That horse saddle seat appears to be one of the most important creation of this century to curb World population especially during turbulence.
adi_gt is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 18:24   #5

This looks rather like someone's summer project than an innovation. If people prefer to stand instead of sitting to save a little bit of money, buses with out any seats would've been a super hit concept.
roshithr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 18:48   #6
NH6

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2019 at 07:57.
NH6 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st June 2019, 18:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This is old news that keeps popping up by different budget airlines testing the waters since early 2000. Nothing came out of it earlier, nothing would probably come out now this time too. Just a bit of masala news by Indiatoday, ignore!

Read this for more details.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 18:56   #8
BHPian

Won't there be health hazards? Like pregnant ladies, aged people, people having cluastrophobia may suffer a lot due to lack of space and comfort.
Old 21st June 2019, 19:06   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic , what an innovation or more aptly bumovation. Think of the advantages. Burn up the 300 calories you added with that chicken sandwich and save that weight put on. Who knows it may even lead to interesting conversation with your next door standee neighbour. Bombay-Delhi, ₹ 500 only and you get a free bumpy ride massage of your posterior and burn 300 calories to boot. And if the flight is delayed then more calories. The perfect weight control. Jeez. I can't wait to get my backside on that Lambretta scooter seat look alike. How I miss my Lamby. After those troublesome Neo engines that started coughing at 36,000 feet and those 737 MAX that loved to dive the aviation industry really did need a morale pick up. And now we have it the perfect nut crusher.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 19:17   #10
BHPian

Ridiculous is the word. The term "Standing Seats" is itself an oxymoron. Hopefully they're height-adjustable or short people will have their feet dangling and tall people will have to bend their knees for the entire flight. Are these even safe? Imagine us trying to brace in of those contraptions. Hey, but you get more leg room though.

Standing Seats in budget airlines-img_20190621_184028.jpg
Tell me that doesn't look totally fun & comfortable

Btw, this will go great with a carry-on baggage fee and a seatbelt rental fee as well. While they're at it, why don't they just remove all the seats and transport us like cattle. Maybe, do away with the airplanes themselves and just boomerang us to our destinations. That's quite the savings !

Standing Seats in budget airlines-ajxwg0jl_700w_0.jpg Even these have better seats

It's good to see that people haven't bought into this madness (or the seats have been rejected for some reason) since vertical seats on airplanes were introduced as early as in 2003. I know people are going to say that it'll be economical for short flights but promoting this idea will end up in flights full of "standing seats". At the end of the day, it all depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice to save money. "If people choose to sell themselves into slavery, rather than starve to death, who are we to stop them?"

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 21st June 2019 at 19:19.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 20:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
This is old news that keeps popping up by different budget airlines testing the waters since early 2000. Nothing came out of it earlier, nothing would probably come out now this time too. Just a bit of masala news by Indiatoday, ignore!
Freddy Laker. Was shot down by the FAA.

I see they even have a middle seat!

They missed a trick with face to face seating. Call it family seats. That way you could pack in a bit more by making the seating even more intimate.

Hope our railway mandarins don't see this. (Remember the air-conditioned luxury of the Garib Rath at capacity)?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 22:12   #12
BHPian

If these are implemented, the bus rides to the aircraft will turn out to be more comfortable.

Seriously, what was the inventor thinking?

I can already imagine hoardings of Delhi-Mumbai non stop flights for ₹299!

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 05:05   #13
BHPian

This concept will not work. Simply because the costs saving by increasing passenger count via standing seats is not so large as to reduce fare prices. Let's understand this, to halve ticket costs one needs to halve cost per air miles travelled. It fundamentally means, doubling your passenger capacity (mantaining same baggage load), without increasing fuel cost due increase in weight. Sounds like a impossible sort of free energy problem.
And a mere reduction in 15/20 percent of ticket prices is not good enough to ask people to stand and commute, else buses and railways would have sold a standing only ticket.
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 07:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
When I read the article, I was astounded even to think that something such as this can be devised in a real world . They are calling it the SkyRider. Even for a country like ours where it is quite common to see folks standing in any form of commute involving transport this looks way too strange. I can just imagine myself on one of those ruminating over how bad an idea it was, hopefully it never comes to fruition. The economy airline seats are already challenging the boundary of wafer thin contraptions the SkyRider (sic) will be totally on a different level
Some people just have too much money in their hands, this is ridiculous and looks for a lack of better word “painful”. A simple market reason would have shown that this would not be acceptable by passengers. (But what do i know, I have been wrong before.)

I remember the times when air travel used to be fun not anymore, now with all the cramped seating and shitty food, to top it off now this.I agree, it more affordable now but personally i would have preferred a better experience even if it came at a slightly higher cost.

I would only travel in the “standing” seat if I had no other choice period (i.e personal emergency) . Not even giving me the seat for free.
SideView is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 17:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Its ridiculous to read about such a facility, whose time has not yet perhaps come. It is being ushered in though prematurely. The airlines' are creating a new cattle class it appears.

Luckily, roof travel on airplanes is not possible !
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks