Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2019, 14:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Mumbai: BEST reduces bus fares to Rs. 5 for 5 km

Took the bus number 108 (IIRC) from outside CST station to NCPA for a princely 5 rs yesterday afternoon. The only issue could be frequency as the ridership is going to double because of the low rates.
Old 14th July 2019, 18:41   #17

Ridership number is key to survival of BEST and fare drop is just a step in acheiving that. BEST also needs faster adoption of technology from ticketing to gps enabled buses. People in Mumbai dont like waiting for their ride; comfort and cost comes next. BEST is one of key entities which defines Mumbai life and would love to see it flourishing and not just surviving
pranavtengshe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 14:13   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BEST's riders jumped from 25 lakh to 32 lakh in just 3 days!

Source & Full Article

Quote:
The average daily passenger count on BEST buses has increased from 25 lakh to more than 32 lakh in a matter of three days, a jump of 7.2 lakh.

It was a U-turn from the falling passenger count, which went from 32 lakh to 25 lakh over the past four years.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 16:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

I hope it stays like that. Another thing which could help BEST a lot is dedicated corridors for buses at least on Western and Eastern highways.

Ac mini buses can act as feeder services near Metro stations.
Mini buses are the key, since they can run faster than usual BEST buses.
Personally I wish they add more Double deckers atleast in South Mumbai

I am pained by the sight of increasing two-wheelers in Mumbai and pray it doesn't go the pune way.

Last edited by silverado : 15th July 2019 at 16:06.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 16:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BEST's riders jumped from 25 lakh to 32 lakh in just 3 days!

This is more than Delhi Metro's daily ridership. Goes to show how important bus-based public transport systems are for a large amount of our population, but very little is spent on it.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 17:45   #21
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Was paying Rs 15 for a bus ride earlier, now its down to Rs 5 for a 5km ride which takes about 40mins. I believe it is the cheapest in the world for a public bus.
The same journey in a rickshaw costs about Rs 65!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 23:09   #22
BHPian

I am surprised with the reactions here, it's same in Delhi
Up to 4km - Rs. 5.00
From 4km to 10km - Rs.10.00
Above 10km - Rs.15.00

For AC Buses
Up to 4km - Rs.10.00
From 4km to 8km - Rs.15.00
From 8km to 12km - Rs.20.00
Above 12km & Limited/Night Services Rs.25.00

I still remember when I use to commute in bus (late nineties), the min. fare used to be Re 1 and max Rs. 4/-.
Old 16th July 2019, 10:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
The reason being A/C buses running under losses. I know this is not a viable option, but couldn't reducing the fares work here? As far as I know, Volvo buses run half-full, or even lesser, on most routes here.
They did reduce the fare in Bangalore to increase ridership and I think that's also contributing a fair bit to their losses. Now BEST is making the same mistake.

Reducing the fare is one method to increase ridership, a short-term solution. Like an eCommerce discount. Reducing it to the point where it becomes commercially nonviable is ridiculous! (Unless you are playing with VC money like eCommerce platforms! Taxpayer money is the same I guess...)

Instead of this if BEST and BMTC focused on improving efficiency, using data to reroute or reschedule buses to meet demand, ensuring that buses are dependable. Basically making it such that commuters will come to expect a bus when they need one, they can actually make a long term profit and increase fares as they go along.

For the students and commuters from the economically weaker sections of society, there can be a system of subsidized bus passes.

I hope I'm wrong about BEST; the dynamics of commuting in Mumbai are very different from Bangalore because of the trains, but I fear that like BMTC they are heading into a bigger problem with this move.

One thing both BEST and BMTC can surely get into is minibuses and operating them as pure feeders to the metro and local train stations. There is certainly a demand.

Last edited by am1m : 16th July 2019 at 10:18.
Old 16th July 2019, 11:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

I used to commute to work by car, but now I commute by bus daily as parking below my office has disappeared because of on going Metro work. Earlier fare was 15rs which is now reduced to 10rs. Though I have noticed buses are quite packed but also frequency is reduced. BEST is most affordable and convenient mode of transport but only thing people avoid is because of traffic.

2 weeks back I visited Pune and noticed that local bus transport has dedicated lanes. No cars are allowed in that lane. Buses are mostly running free of traffic. Pune roads are also narrow and conjusted but they have managed free lanes for local buses. If Bombay also adopts such a model, I think we can see a lot less traffic, especially from rickshaws and taxis. It will also encourage more people to use BEST if time is saved.
RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 13:48   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
2 weeks back I visited Pune and noticed that local bus transport has dedicated lanes. No cars are allowed in that lane. Buses are mostly running free of traffic. Pune roads are also narrow and conjusted but they have managed free lanes for local buses. If Bombay also adopts such a model, I think we can see a lot less traffic, especially from rickshaws and taxis. It will also encourage more people to use BEST if time is saved.
Lol. BRTS is a spectacular failure; the wise men in Pune have known this for a decade (when BRTS was first implemented in Katraj) and have yet chosen to pump good money over bad.

Also,

Quote:
“To ensure the decongestion of city roads, we have decided to open BRTS lanes in the city through a notification. While the instructions to the respective corporations have been given, the work will be executed in a few weeks time.”
https://www.hindustantimes.com/pune-...rgp8lbCAI.html

Please don't suggest BRTS.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 15:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
2 weeks back I visited Pune and noticed that local bus transport has dedicated lanes. No cars are allowed in that lane. Buses are mostly running free of traffic. Pune roads are also narrow and conjusted but they have managed free lanes for local buses.
Wow, you seem to be impressed by Pune BRTS
Next time do take a ride in one of the buses and also visit BRTS bus stop.
You will feel proud of BEST if you take a ride in PMPML( exception being the new e-buses and new midi buses )

BRTS is just waste of space and money since the frequency of buses does not justify it in PUNE.
And as per below post, BRTS is now officially open for all vehicles due to Metro work, but it was already in use illegally.
There are design flaws in several locations, signage's are absent , I can go on and on.
So I don't blame people for using BRTS lanes.

In Mumbai, I strongly feel BRTS can be started from Sion to Thane, and Bandra to national park.

Last edited by silverado : 16th July 2019 at 16:03.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 00:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Reducing the fare is one method to increase ridership, a short-term solution. Like an eCommerce discount. Reducing it to the point where it becomes commercially nonviable is ridiculous! (Unless you are playing with VC money like eCommerce platforms! Taxpayer money is the same I guess...)
When Amazon or Realiance does this, it is considered as a good business move. But when a corporation does tries the same strategy, people start complaing. Why such a bias? When a corporate can take years to turn profitable, why not a corporation?

Yes, the chances of corruption is more here and with every new govt, there is a change in vision. But, can't we see this with a positive outlook?
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 14:55   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
When Amazon or Realiance does this, it is considered as a good business move. But when a corporation does tries the same strategy, people start complaining. Why such a bias? When a corporate can take years to turn profitable, why not a corporation?
First, these are different companies in vastly different spaces, so a one-to-one comparison does not make much sense.

Both these companies are doing this anticipating the time till/when they will capture market share and can then raise prices. BEST will not be in a position to do that, they have to listen to the government who have to listen to voters. Besides, they already have a monopoly in the city bus service provider market! So again, I don't see how a one-to-one comparison makes sense.

If Amazon or Reliance go bust, they go bust with their or their investor's money. If BEST or BMTC goes bust, they go bust with our money. Similarly, if Amazon or Reliance go bust, IMHO, it's not such a big deal, something similar will take their place. If BEST or BMTC go bust, who will provide city-wide public transport in their place?

Again, like I said in my post, not sure about BEST, perhaps they are doing the correct thing, because Mumbai commuting dynamics are different. But BMTC tried these reduced fares in Bangalore and yet they still have been incurring losses so much so that they are planning to stop the Volvo services, which is actually one of the better services they offer.

IF the BMTC service was completely reliable, I'm sure a lot of the IT folk in Bangalore would make the switch from their cars and bikes. And we can afford to pay a lot more than the current ticket prices. The revenue from that source can be used to subsidize fares for students and the needy travelers. Conversely, reducing the ticket price further is not going to drive the IT folk to use an inefficient service or one they cannot rely on on a daily basis.

Finally, ok there are smart people heading BEST and BMTC, they do know what they are doing. But from a public transport point of view, there is SO much more to be gained by simply improving the service and making it reliable which will lead to more people using the service and that too people who can afford to pay more, rather than this quick solution of reduced fares.

Last edited by am1m : 18th July 2019 at 15:05.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 15:55   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

This article has some good information and insight into the matter being discussed here. It pertains to BMTC, but should be useful in the BEST context too:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/70223101.cms

“Only the airport service and services to Electronic City and Whitefield are in profit."

(This is about Volvo buses, point to note- these 3 routes mentioned- the airport, Whitefield and ECity service in Bangalore are probably the only reliable BMTC services, in that you will get a bus at regular intervals. Also, the fares are significantly higher than regular bus fares, and the ridership is mainly working professionals - goes to show that improving service works better than reducing fares.)

"Haris wondered how the BMTC can make a profit if people oppose fare increase. “Prices of all commodities go up every year. We have not increased fares for the last four years."

"In the past, the BMTC came up with a proposal to reduce fares of AC buses during non-peak hours. The plan did not take off as officials were afraid of losing revenue. No other measures were introduced to popularise AC buses. Even now, the BMTC has not made any attempt to put bus-related information in the public domain."

But that could change:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/70374602.cms

"The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) plans to put the data on bus schedules in the public domain,"

Again, I think this will do more to improve ridership.

Last edited by am1m : 25th July 2019 at 15:56.
Old 17th September 2019, 10:23   #30
BHPian

I met the Municipal Commissioner on Sunday as he was the Chief Guest for our residents' association's Annual Function. We felicitated him for the steps he's taken to improve the city's public transport system in the short three and a half months he's been in office.

He clearly stated that the MCGM intends to double the BEST bus fleet to 6000 buses (from 3000 odd) and also to roll out only air-conditioned buses henceforth. The corporation wants to have a bus system that is comfortable and as reliable as London's. London BTW has 19000 bus stops and 8500 buses operating. After hearing him out one realises the approach is not only holistic, but also plans years ahead so it may be part of the larger METRO system. It's not a piece-meal approach to the problem as it was in the past.

The MCGM expects the traffic to improve immensely only when METRO-3 is made operational in the city.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai: BEST reduces bus fares to Rs. 5 for 5 km-pardeshi-commendation.jpg  

Mumbai: BEST reduces bus fares to Rs. 5 for 5 km-pardeshi-accepting-plaqueimg_0068.jpg  

Last edited by mikem : 17th September 2019 at 10:43. Reason: addition of pictures.
mikem is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks