Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2021, 21:27   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Air India becomes 1st Indian airline to fly over the North Pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Ok, the seat of the pants terminology was meant to represent unusual emergency situations where basic airmanship is involved. Would female pilots take better decisions under pressure or is it only about training.
If you read my post #42 you should get the answer. I have never known of a situation where an equally trained/experienced female pilot could not handle a situation as well as a male pilot. And I repeat what I wrote in that earlier post that as things are today female pilots by and large demonstrate better discipline and attitude that are two very important components in the making of a competent pilot.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 22:50   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Air India becomes 1st Indian airline to fly over the North Pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Ok, the seat of the pants terminology was meant to represent unusual emergency situations where basic airmanship is involved. Would female pilots take better decisions under pressure or is it only about training.
Seat of the pants and basic airmanship have nothing in common as V.Narayan explained earlier. They simply don’t go together.

At the end of the day it is all about training and even more importantly attitude. Pilots, male or female, with the appropriate attitude make safe pilots.

What I was referring to earlier on is that as we still see a relative small percentage of female pilots compared to male pilots. So the large male pilot group is likely to represent a more diverse group of pilots when it comes to skills, aptitude, attitude etc. In the, relatively, still small group of female pilots, you are likely to see much less diversity and by and large a higher degree of competence, skills, aptitude, attitude etc. That is just a theory. Although in different circumstances, industries that has always proven to be true.

As a general rule women need to be doing better than their male equivalent to be seen as peers. Very unfortunate, but there you are.

There is ample evidence that women think and act in a somewhat different way than men. It is not necessarily better, but it is different. The situation might make it better or worse.

Of course, pilot training should ensure that anybody that passes the various tests is a safe pilot.

The internet is choke full of articles comparing women to men under duress. However, there is very little, if any research that applies to specific professional situations.

Not to want to oversimplify or generalise, but under duress/stress women tend to become more careful, whereas men start taking more risk.

Again, pilot training and selection should ensure that who ever is driving that plane has the appropriate attitude and aptitude and competence.

Just google “do women handle stress better or worse than men”. It will give you hundreds if not thousands of articles. From the very flimsy to the very scientific. My impression; women outperform men in almost all situations! And very few men, or society at large take notice.

There is a reason why in many countries car insurance for women is considerably cheaper than for men!!

Just about the only generic item men outperform women is when it comes to physical aspects, e.g. strength, endurance.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks