Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2019, 17:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity

BEST is getting Force Travellers for short-hauls: 5 vehicles being deployed now.

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-force.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 17th September 2019 at 10:51. Reason: Adding watermark
condor is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 08:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Mumbai: BEST reduces bus fares to Rs. 5 for 5 km

BMTC Bangalore I hope you learn something from BEST. It's a good idea to use Force TTs, as they are very agile compared to other minibuses. BMTC has gone step backwards by stopping many of the orange coloured metro feeder buses citing operation losses (I don't know how, these buses were filled upto the brim always ),also their buses are so crowded and poorly maintained that they struggle to go up a flyover or sloping road.
Storm2.0 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 10:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity

BEST inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 12:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
BMTC Bangalore I hope you learn something from BEST.
If only BMTC would learn! Just from normal observation, it is obvious that smaller vehicles with higher frequency makes sense. There are several mini cabs that are illegally ferrying passengers from different bus stops in my area. Several IT company TTs too, probably in between shifts, the drivers make a quick buck ferrying non-company employees! Short distances mainly. BMTC should have gotten into this a long time ago.

Quote:
BMTC has gone step backwards by stopping many of the orange coloured metro feeder buses citing operation losses (I don't know how, these buses were filled upto the brim always )
They never wanted to run these feeder buses, so they used every excuse to stop them. BMRCL washes their hands off the last-mile-connectivity issue too.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 12:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BMTC Bangalore I hope you learn something from BEST. It's a good idea to use Force TTs, as they are very agile compared to other minibuses. BMTC has gone step backwards by stopping many of the orange coloured metro feeder buses citing operation losses (I don't know how, these buses were filled upto the brim always ),also their buses are so crowded and poorly maintained that they struggle to go up a flyover or sloping road.
I remember BMTC starting AC TTs 10+ years back, it did not work that time.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 12:34   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity

More details just came in from Force. @ Condor: am sure your scoop pre-poned this press release

Quote:
Force Traveller – THE B.E.S.T option

• India’s first 21 seater Monocoque Smart Citibus
• Best in Class Reliability and Durability
• Best in Class Fuel Efficiency
• Safest Drive in class: All wheel disc brakes
• Fully A/C and IT enabled services on board

Mumbai, Sep 16, 2019: Force Traveller Smart Citibus was inducted today into the B.E.S.T. fleet to bring about a paradigm shift in the last mile connectivity for Mumbai commuters from metro and local stations.

The first lot of 5 Traveller Smart Citibuses (a part of 500 such Smart Citibuses planned by B.E.S.T) were flagged off and dedicated to the Mumbai commuters at a grand ceremony by Shri. Uddhav Thackeray - President, Shiv Sena in the presence of local dignitaries and B.E.S.T officials.

The fully air-conditioned, 21 seater (+7 standees) Force Traveller is a hi-tech solution for public City Bus operations. The large, normal, single or double decker buses are plagued by low occupancy ratios and hence unprofitable to operate on feeder routes.

The Force Traveller has over the last three decades established itself as the market leader in the 9 to 25 seater van and minibus category. It is today countrywide, the preferred platform for school bus, staff bus, ambulances and tour/travel applications.

The major differentiating unique features of the Traveller which contribute to its remarkable success are that it is a proven monocoque panel van and it is powered by the proven Mercedes derived powertrain that offers most reliable performance besides best in class fuel economy.

Traveller, on account of the monocoque construction, which is similar to an aircraft or a modern passenger car, (there is no separate heavy inefficient chassis), offers superior structural strength, ride quality, low Noise, Vibrations and Harshness (NVH) and unmatched durability. The Traveller made entirely of pressed steel panels fused together in an automated and robotic environment, is almost a tonne lighter than comparable capacity vehicles hence offers best in class power to weight ratio and fuel efficiency.

Traveller is also the only vehicle in this category that undergoes the 6th generation Cathodic Electrophoretic Dip (C.E.D) process of primer application and robotic topcoat application. In the C.E.D process, the full body is immersed in a tank of primer ensuring best in class rust protection and highest level of corrosion resistance. The robotic top coat application and high temperature stoving ensures top class surface finish, gloss and hardness retention for years.

In addition, the Traveller with its low turning radius is ideal for movement in the narrow and congested routes. The commuters of Mumbai especially ladies and elderly would welcome and appreciate the decision of B.E.S.T to go in for Traveller Smart Citibuses as these are far more convenient than the large buses, shared autos and taxis, that they have to opt for currently.
BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-traveller-smart-citibus-line-up-flag-off-ceremony.jpeg

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-traveller-body-line.jpg

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-c.e.d-primer-application.jpg

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-robotic-top-coat-application.jpg

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-robotic-welding.jpg

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-mr.-thackrey-taking-test-ride-traveller-smart-citibus.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2019 at 12:36.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 12:49   #7
BHPian

Re: BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity

Definitely a welcome move by BEST. The smaller size of the Force Traveller will make it easy to reach places where a bus couldn't any the travel time will also come down. Even here in Pune, PMPML is using a lot of smaller buses (I guess the Starbus, not sure though). They commute through the traffic much faster and stopping at multiple locations is also easier.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th September 2019 at 14:06. Reason: Typo
rajvardhanraje is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 13:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Condor: am sure your scoop pre-poned this press release
I am not so sure. This news was out in media a couple of weeks ago (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...ml#post4648741 (B.E.S.T. buses - Painting Mumbai RED!)) and yesterday also there was a news in Mid Day about these travellers

In the linked post I am against the induction of Travellers, but after looking at inside pics my stand has changed a bit. They can be useful if (big if) used correctly. BEST is notorious for:
1. Replacing larger bus on any route with smaller ones without corresponding increasing frequency.
2. Operating small buses on long routes.

If these 2 are avoided, then the Tempo travellers are decent option. A few pics received on WhatsApp.

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-img20190916wa0033.jpg
2 seats besides driver. No air vents visible for them. Will get hot with large glass area of windshield in front

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-img20190916wa0021.jpg
Looks very weird from this angle

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-img20190916wa0037.jpg
Interior. Standees will definitely have headroom issues.

Miscellaneous exterior views below. Note that some buses have LED board above windscreen and some do not. A miss from Force motors? Also entry height needs to be checked

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-img20190916wa0035.jpg

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-img20190916wa0022.jpg

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-img20190916wa0020.jpg

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-img20190916wa0036.jpg

BEST Buses Mumbai inducts Force Travellers for last-mile connectivity-img20190916wa0019.jpg

Last edited by AkMar : 17th September 2019 at 13:17.
AkMar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 14:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Let's see how long the buses last.

However these lip service of 5 buses is not going to do anything to help the commuters. What is needed is a proper fleet of buses to be deployed at one go.
Old 17th September 2019, 17:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

The entry door is such a welcome incorporation to the vehicle, hopefully they will make these doors available to other buyers as well.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 18:15   #11
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I'd think the Mini Buses of BEST which ply on certain routes have more capacity than these Force Travellers ! The main issue with those Mini Buses is their lack of acceleration. Which perhaps is a good thing in crowded areas.

Ever since BEST had a fare cut, the buses on my route have been super crowded. Almost every other day I have to let go of 1 bus because I cannot stand for 1hr in a crowded bus!
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 12:30   #12
BHPian

I think even DTC in Delhi could copy this formula. It sure is going to work. As it is the Metro feeder service use these kind of vehicles which are a hit for last mile connectivity. This should be a cost effective option as well on multiple fronts - initial cost, service and maintenance, operating cost. And how about using them in electric avatar?
bmw_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 13:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Actually the BEST was also in the same boat till recently, scaling back operations while raising ticket prices because they were loss making. I think when Praveen Pardeshi, a technocrat IAS Officer who is Additional Chief Secretary in the CM Office was made BMC Commissioner a few months ago, he turned it around on its head. He reduced prices considerably, and said that he doesn't mind BEST runs at a loss as long as it is able to transport as many people as possible.

BEST launched its app also recently which promises live tracking of buses, but it is facing major glitches and apparently not all buses are synced.
Abhejit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The entry door is such a welcome incorporation to the vehicle, hopefully they will make these doors available to other buyers as well.
Yes, that door will make a big difference. BMTC in Bangalore introduced Pushpak with only 1 door at front, this bus had no conductor, 1 door and only 1 guy to drive and issue tickets made is slower than normal buses(with higher ticket price than a normal bus with multiple doors and a ticket conductor).
Old 18th September 2019, 20:27   #15
BHPian

Great initiative, I remember watching videos from people talking about these short-haul buses from Force, with wide doors etc. And have wondered will the STC's in India buy them. Always felt these are for some international markets.

This is great and could be a good alternative for any upcoming metro's, short routes connecting tech parks as well as Metro feeder services.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks