Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 14:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Air India uses 'TaxiBot' for A320 aircraft, becoming first airline in the world to do so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

I just do not know, but I feel it might be due to regulation it needs to come under control of the pilot. The pilot is responsible (and has trained for) taxing.

Towing operations, other than push back, are normally not conducted on the normal in use taxiways. They are kept away from normal taxi traffic, need to adhere to a specific towing regime (regulations) which is not the same as a taxi regime.

So my gut feeling is that it something along those lines. As taxibot operations from gate/apron to the active runway are regarded as normal operational taxi under pilot control, it needs to be under the pilot control. Does that make sense to you, any other considerations perhaps?
Makes sense. Anything else, a lot of rules will have to be rewritten. And operational procedures changed.

Quote:
Yes, if parked at the ramp and you would want to leave the engine on with nobody in the cockpit. (Which is perfectly normal when operating on normal APU.)
Not allowed AFAIK.
Also I believe propeller brake on or not, engine running > ground crew/ mechanics will not be anywhere near it.
Any ATR pilots on this forum?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 19:29   #17
BHPian

Re: Air India uses 'TaxiBot' for A320 aircraft, becoming first airline in the world to do so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Air India flight AI665 was carried to runway using 'TaxiBot' at terminal 3 of the IGI airport, thereby becoming the first airline in the world to use Taxibot on a commercial Airbus flight.
The news that says that the first ever Airbus towed in the world by Taxibot belonged to Air India is not entirely accurate. The actual first ever airbus towed by Taxibot was the Lufthansa Airbus A320 NEO back on 14th March 2016 and the first ever Airline to ever tow its commercial flight was also Lufthansa on 25th November 2014. In fact, in the month of February 2015, the TaxiBot entered regular flight operations by Lufthansa at Frankfurt Airport.

So I have no clue what Mr. Ashwani Lohani is trying to say. Maybe it's possible that I've misunderstood the news. Links attached below.

https://www.tld-group.com/news/taxib...ing-operation/

https://www.tld-group.com/news/1st-t...light-success/
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 21:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
The actual first ever airbus towed by Taxibot was the Lufthansa Airbus A320 NEO back on 14th March 2016 and the first ever Airline to ever tow its commercial flight was also Lufthansa on 25th November 2014. In fact, in the month of February 2015, the TaxiBot entered regular flight operations by Lufthansa at Frankfurt Airport.

So I have no clue what Mr. Ashwani Lohani is trying to say. Maybe it's possible that I've misunderstood the news.
From the links shared, first one was on maintenance towing.
The second news linked shows the successful towing on Boeing flight (B737 per the report), while Air India tweet was the first usage on commercial Airbus.

Although TaxiBot details minimal modifications on planes, looks like there's significant importance on its adoption by major airplane types and companies, in addition to airports.

Last edited by sarathlal : 20th October 2019 at 21:41.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 10:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Air India flight AI665 was carried to runway using 'TaxiBot' at terminal 3 of the IGI airport, thereby becoming first airline in the world to use Taxibot on a commercial Airbus flight.
I think now Air India justifies its code sign ' AI '
We are seeing a lot of first's from AI recently. Kudos to them.

Cheers,
AB
Old 25th November 2019, 18:55   #20

Hello Team-Bhpians,
I had come across the discussion on Taxibots in forum in the month of October.
Very insightful with legitimate queries.
As luck would have it, i had the chance to travel in Air India last week.
Out of habit, while going through the Shubh-Yatra (AI in-flight magazine), i came across this article directly from Horse's mouth:-

Air India uses 'TaxiBot' for A320 aircraft, becoming first airline in the world to do so!-air-india-taxibot.jpg

Accordingly,
1. Taxibot is an advanced semi-robotic TRACTOR only.
2. Fuel savings of 85% (as already mentioned by members earlier)
3. Reduces engine wear & tear (TRUE) as engine is switched on near the runway only (Probably just before the dumbbell)
4. Pilot operated, nonetheless has mandatory ground crew. (Ofcourse, it has to come back too )

Also, more airlines are opting to use it. And going through the official website of Taxibot, it seems they have the right collaboration partners in this industry to ensure its use at mass level, and not just a random gimmick.

Lets hope for the best for this industry. Though we are generally shielded from Tarmac Noise & other pollution in the terminal and during flight, the Ground crew has to bear high decibels noise pollution and black soot from emissions regularly.
Sunny_team_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks