Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2007, 12:20   #1
Ram
Senior - BHPian

King Long KL-6113

Hi friends:

Travelled in a King Long KL-6113 last night (20:40..23:00) from Pune to Mumbai.
The bus was operated by the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corp. under the brand "Mahabus". Mahabus is painted white with a smartly understated red and blue body-graphic.

MSRTC also operate baby-blue merging to sky-blue Volvo B7Rs under the brand "Shivneri"

The KL-6113 is a competitor to the Volvo B7R.

King Long (Pinyin pronunciation: Jinlong) is a Chinese manufacturer located on the island of Xiamen, China.

The bus bodies are built by JCBL Limited, Lalru (Chandigarh-Ambala highway), Chandigarh, a Rs.70-crore commercial vehicle-body builder. JCBL also builds bodies for some models of Tata Globus and Tata Starbus and built L.K.Advani's rath.

The King Long KL-6113 bus was every bit as comfortable as a Volvo. The airconditioning felt really and continuously cold.

Trivia: The Chinese VCD player was playing "Phir Hera Pheri (2006)"

The pneumatically operated passenger door in front, opens to a set of steps, with an extra step just 4-inches off the ground. This last step is retracted when the door closes. The Indian Volvo B7R lacks this convenience feature.

And the driver was driving quite fast.

There was a time when he came up in the fast lane and tried to pass a 40-ft. container trailer at 100 km/h. Suddenly that an unexpected unlit Sumo was in the fast lane ahead. He stepped on the brakes and the King-Long smoothly and surely decelerated to 40 km/h. I was in the seat behind the driver and felt no discomfort at all.

Like the Volvo B7R, this is also a rear-engine, rear-transmission, rear-axle bus.
Supposedly, the fuel efficiency of KL 6113 is 4.6 km per litre compared to 3.5 for the Volvo B7R.

The KL 6113 is powered by a British-produced 8,270 cc 6-cylinder Cummins C245 intercooled turbo-diesel engine. The engine produces 260 bhp @ 2,200 rpm and 976 Newton-metre of torque @ 1,300 rpm. An electronic governor prevents the engine from being revved above 2,200 rpm.

The Cummins straight-six drives the bus through a ZF S6-90 all-synchromesh six-speed gearbox and rides on a Holland-Neway "air-ride" air-suspension, built in the Beijing, China factory of Holland-Neway International, USA. Braking is via a four-circuit ABS brake system.

Had mentioned it here over 13 months ago.

The purchase price is Rs. 48 lakh as compared to Rs. 60 lakh for a Volvo B7R.

Ram
[Interior pics taken around 21:15 on my Nokia N73 phone]
Old 17th February 2007, 12:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

some interstate tour operators have this one and you can see this bus at MAdivala. And cummins...was it linked with tata or leyland? I haev heard it before but cant recollect the details.
Old 17th February 2007, 14:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks similar to the bus I had posted here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...new-bus-3.html.
Old 17th February 2007, 14:44   #4
BHPian

@ JK Cummins is linked with TATA.... THe tata Trucks have Cummins Engines Now...
Old 17th February 2007, 14:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Along with two King Long buses, the Mahabus fleet will have 20 buses manufactured by Tata Motors and Sutlej Transport.

Source:Now, luxury state transport buses on rural Maharashtra roads

The King Long buses have been hired for two months by the MSRTC through the New Delhi-based Association of State Road Transport Undertaking (ASRTU) from a private party

Source:Mahabus launch aborted, no clearance from RTO

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 17th February 2007 at 14:54.
Old 17th February 2007, 15:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

No, Sajo. I said it and I say it again. The bus you had posted is a Tata. The above pic shows the wheel of the bus which is typically Tata whereas the Kinglong has wheels similar to the B7R in terms of shape, design and finishing. You can clearly observe the difference in the pic posted by Ram.

That's all I can say....

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 17th February 2007 at 15:02.
Old 17th February 2007, 15:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

some King-Long's are used by APSRTC for their services .. i suppose its for Garuda service apart from B7R's .
Old 17th February 2007, 15:09   #8
BHPian

Those interested can read my review about the Tata Globus
[COLOR=#333333]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ost322250.html[/COLOR]

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 17th February 2007 at 15:12.
Old 17th February 2007, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

The price of a King Long is very competitive, surely going to give Volvo B7R a run for its money. I have seen some King Longs running with Konduskar on the Mumbai-Kolhapur route. And with Ashok Leyland's Luxura coming soon, the B7R market is going to see some good action. I beleive AL will be using its own engines which may give it a cost advantage over imported Cummins engines (not sure whether Cummins makes 260 BHP engines in India, although I think the new AMW truck uses the Cummins 260 BHP powerplant sourced from the Pune plant)
Old 17th February 2007, 16:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice writeup Ram. Theoretically atleast the King Long seems to be as good if not better technically than the Volvo. The differentiating factor that would determine the success or otherwise of the King Long is the reach of its service network. Even if it has the same number of service centers as Volvo, it would sell more.
Old 17th February 2007, 17:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The differentiating factor that would determine the success or otherwise of the King Long is the reach of its service network.
And the reliability & durability too...

I read in an auto mag that the brake shoes of the volvo lasts more than a lakh kilometers.
Old 17th February 2007, 18:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post

No, Sajo. I said it and I say it again. The bus you had posted is a Tata. The above pic shows the wheel of the bus which is typically Tata whereas the Kinglong has wheels similar to the B7R in terms of shape, design and finishing. You can clearly observe the difference in the pic posted by Ram.

That's all I can say....
nope, this is a new bus from unknown company. not tata/kinglong or Ashok L. i also seen this bus in yellow colour near arai. in april 2006.. the company was new. i dont remember the name. i have taken some photos. will upload it in dew days.
Old 17th February 2007, 18:30   #13
BHPian

Nice report..

The 20% less price tag of this bus should hopefully result in a lower ticket price for the user , compared to Volvo.. pulling in more pasengers and expanding the market..

Does any one know if the KSRTC fleet has these buses? ( They have more than 200 Volvos now)
Old 17th February 2007, 18:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its 20% cheaper and more fuel efficient.Question is,are they passing their savings on to you?How much was your ticket ram,compared to a similar route on a B7R?
Old 17th February 2007, 19:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Ram. How was the noise and vibration andn also the suspension's ride quality compared to the Volvo. These two features are important for the passenger and will be key to its success.

also is there a difference in ticket prices between Mahabus and Shivneri...considering diff in FE and purchase price.

Last edited by Mpower : 17th February 2007 at 19:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks