Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2019, 22:22   #61
BHPian

Re: Qantas Dreamliner completes longest ever 19-hour commercial flight

As a flyer, I am unable to see much benefits of such a long flight apart from some time and fuel saving. Further being trapped in a plane for 17-19 hours will not be a pleasant experience. It will be quite risky, stressful and increase the jet lag. Therefore I will never take such a long haul flight.

Baaki Khayal Apna Apna
Old 26th October 2019, 22:35   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
being trapped in a plane for 17-19 hours will not be a pleasant experience. It will be quite risky, stressful and increase the jet lag.

Actually, one of the premises of this research is that by having one long haul flight with better controlled environment, eating, sleep and awake time, it might well decrease jet lag compared to the conventional way.

Jeroen
Old 26th October 2019, 23:39   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Non stop flights make far more sense than transiting through hubs - whether you are in Business or Economy. Have done several “Day Trips” to New York on the United non stop from
Mumbai - two 16 hour flights with 14 hours on the ground between them. It’s really efficient - and much more comfortable than transiting through Dubai, Delhi or some European hub. The only challenge is that United is often too expensive - so tend to avoid it except on day trips. With some luck, we will have other airlines like Vistara or Delta running BOM NYC non stops - which would make life much more comfortable.

What Qantas is doing here is similar to my strategy on the BOM NYC flights - stay awake as long as possible and sleep as close the NY time as I can. Getting to NY in the morning and staying outdoors also helps overcome jet lag.

On the return leg, I usually dine before boarding and sleep even before the flight levels out - and then stay awake till I land in Bombay after 5-6 hours.

Usually helps you stay productive both ways.
Old 2nd November 2019, 14:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sounds like my kind of flight! I love these long non-stop flights (as opposed to a stop in between). Had done the ~17 hour Mumbai-Atlanta non-stop flight and slept for a straight 14 hours of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
With some luck, we will have other airlines like Vistara or Delta running BOM NYC non stops
Delta is starting its JFK-BOM (DL25) non-stop service from December 24. Cannot really say “resuming” since earlier they flew ATL-BOM.

Link: https://news.delta.com/nonstop-mumba...k-begin-dec-22

Quote:
Flight connects financial capitals of United States and India, linking New York-JFK and Mumbai with the only nonstop service by a U.S. carrier

- Service made possible by 2018 agreements between the U.S. and governments of the U.A.E. and Qatar to address Open Skies-violating government subsidies to state-owned carriers

- Delta will fly the route with a newly renovated Boeing 777-200LR, featuring the airline's award-winning product, seatback entertainment throughout, Gogo Ku Wi-Fi connectivity and free mobile messaging

I stopped flying Delta and moved to Emirates after Delta stopped the non-stop flight to Atlanta. Looks like that is going to change. I hope Delta deploys it’s latest aircrafts and cabin designs on this route.
Old 3rd November 2019, 12:52   #65
Senior - BHPian

Have conflicting thoughts about these ultra longhaul flights.

For anyone whose luggage has been misplaced/ lost, anything which reduces a change of aircraft is a boon.
In all cases, but especially when travelling abroad, ones most precious commodity is time. Anything which saves on that is godsent.

However as a firm cattleclass seatfiller (unless upgraded for free) I wonder about my physical wellbeing at the end of these flights.
We might be a protected species in India, but up in the sky, no such privelege. If the aircraft/ cabins are the same as that of shorter flights, I don't know. (likely there will be no economy class seats on these flights, but is premium economy all that better in this case?) Will have to take one of these flights to form an opinion. Preferably on the back home leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Have done several “Day Trips” to New York on the United non stop from Mumbai - two 16 hour flights with 14 hours on the ground between them. It’s really efficient - and much more comfortable than transiting through Dubai, Delhi or some European hub.
I would assume these are meetings where important decisions are taken.
One thing I learned long time back is not to go to such meetings tired or sleep deprived. It is costly in more ways than one. One extra night (cost of hotel + time) is well worth it, IMO.
So question to those who do it regularly - how do you all stay sharp?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 10:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
In my case - I easily fall asleep. So that always helps. But one lifestyle change that has helped me immensely during long haul flights is Intermittent Fasting. I absolutely avoid consuming any food in-flight. Liquids (Black Coffee, Green tea, Water) in plenty but no solid food. I usually do a 16-8 intermittent fasting routine. Before long haul flights, I plan so that my 16-hour fasting phase is in-sync with the travel time.

My $0.02

Amogh

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 4th November 2019 at 10:39.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 15:35   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I fly a lot. I was just checking my KLM app. Which started counting from 2012 onwards. With KLM alone 190 flights, 736 hours (just over 30 days) in the air with them, 530.000km and 24 destinations. That is with KLM alone!

We have done away with business class tickets all together for everybody except the CEO and his executive team. Everybody else flies economy, no matter what.

I am allowed to upgrade to economy comfort (or whatever airlines call it). On most it means you get some more leg room, which is very important to me, as I am quite tall. Flying a lot also means earning lots of loyalty points of the various carrier loyalty programs. Which means I do get to upgrade to business still on a regular basis.

I do not do much really long haul these days. I will sleep relatively well in business class, especially if they have these full horizontal reclining seats. In economy comfort the seat tend to recline a bit more, but you are still upright. Not so good for sleeping. I do not understand how some people can.

On overnight flights I do take sleeping tablets. Otherwise I do less than doze. And depending on my schedule I might plan to arrive at least one day early to whatever meeting I need to attend.

I used to fly back and forth from Kansas City to Delhi vv. Which was a real killer, but in those days we still flew business class. Last couple of years the longest flights have been Amsterdam to Johannesburg and Kuala Lumpur.

The time difference makes a huge difference to. Amsterdam Johannesburg is about 11 hours but it is still in the same time zone. And you travel during the day mostly.

My next trip is to Romania. Only a three hour flight or thereabout. But I land at 00.30, so I will get to my hotel around 02.00am. I will be picked up to go to our office by 07.30am. Two days meetings and workshops. My return flight is the third day at 06.00am. Which means getting up at 03.30am! When I arrive back in Amsterdam I will drive home, do a bit of work, repack and head back out to the airport with my wife to visit Madrid, Spain. I need to be in Madrid for a couple of days. So my wife and I will fly there Friday later afternoon, spend the weekend, my wife will return home on Monday morning and I will stay to work for three days. Nice way of combining a bit of pleasure and work. It is actually interesting financially for the company too. The ticket with an weekend stay tends to be quite a lot cheaper than flying out on Monday morning. Obviously I pay for the extra days in the hotel myself

Jeroen

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 19:33   #68
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed post. But other than
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
And depending on my schedule I might plan to arrive at least one day early to whatever meeting I need to attend.
does not really answer my question.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th November 2019, 19:53   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed post. But other than

does not really answer my question.
My bad; a bit hidden perhaps

Staying sharp:

- Timing of the flight, during the day and or little or no time difference makes a huge difference to me, how I feel when I land. Flying 10 hours north south or 10 hours west east, makes a huge difference on how I feel and whether I might want to consider going early to stay sharp. No or little time difference, flying during the day/early evening, not a problem for me.

So choosing the best flight times and connection could have a big impact. How early do you need to leave home and at what time do you hit your bed at destination.

- When I get an upgrade to business class it is not a problem at all. No matter the flight direction or duration etc. I sleep and rest well enough.

- When I need to overnight on a flight on economy (comfort), I take sleeping tablets. So I get some shut eye. Usually good enough for me.

- Where needed, possibly, I might land a day early to adjust a bit and recuperate.

Jeroen
Old 5th November 2019, 20:08   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
My bad; a bit hidden perhaps

Staying sharp:

So choosing the best flight times and connection could have a big impact. How early do you need to leave home and at what time do you hit your bed at destination.
This sort of ties in with the going one day ahead if possible.

Quote:
- When I get an upgrade to business class it is not a problem at all. No matter the flight direction or duration etc. I sleep and rest well enough.
Business class does have its advantages!

Quote:
- When I need to overnight on a flight on economy (comfort), I take sleeping tablets. So I get some shut eye. Usually good enough for me.
This I must try out. Naturally averse to taking drugs/ medication though.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 5th November 2019, 20:20   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This sort of ties in with the going one day ahead if possible.
Yes, it does. In general I try to chose my flight so that I do not have to fly throughout the night if possible. Intbound, going home, as that is usually towards end of the week it matters less. I will catch up over the weekend.

Quote:
This I must try out. Naturally averse to taking drugs/ medication though.
I rarely, if at all, take drugs/medication.

One problem with the over the counter (non prescribed) type of sleeping tablets is they are very mild. Might be different in India, as I recall various drugs can be obtained without doctor prescription.

So I check the maximum dose and just double that. Most of these non-prescribed sleeping tablets do not do much more than put you to sleep, they do not keep you asleep as such.

I usually put on my Noise Cancelation head set and leave some very soft music on. Even in Economy comfort I tend to be able to sleep 3-4 hours at a stretch. Which is usually good enough to keep me going for the day.

Jeroen
Old 8th November 2019, 04:53   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I would assume these are meetings where important decisions are taken.

On business trips, I fly business class. Always dine before boarding, and am usually asleep before the flight starts taxiing. Get up briefly to make the bed flat and then am asleep again. I usually get more sleep on these flights than on regular days (about to board one such flight right now). After arriving, if possible, I go for an outdoor run - but that is not something I can always do, esp if I have not booked a hotel room to change.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 10:35   #73
Senior - BHPian

Moral of numerous posts :- fly business class!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 18:46   #74
Senior - BHPian

London - Sydney now completed.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th November 2019, 20:28   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Richard Quest was on board on this flight. Will be interesting to see what he writes about the experience.
I find Richard to be one of the better main stream journalist when it comes to reporting on aviation.

Jeroen

Most Viewed