Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 09:09   #16
BHPian

re: Indian Railway's most powerful locomotive, the WAG12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That sounds like the noise coming from the wheel flange rubbing against the inside of the rail. You can hear this when a train negotiates a sharp curve (Not very sharp in this case), while going slowly. Its probably not as loud as it sounds in the video, where the microphone seems to be picking up the noise and making it sound excessive.
Am not talking about the squealing sound, that happens on curves I've noticed, nothing unusual about that.

Am talking about the knocking sound.
Old 20th May 2020, 10:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Am talking about the knocking sound.
I was referring to the knocking and squealing sound. Both these noises come when a formation is negotiating a tight curve slowly. You can hear the same noise when you are seated inside a non air conditioned coach too.

I assume the knocking you are referring to, can be heard even at 2:09?

To give you an example, if you are familiar with the Salem line ramp which takes off after Baiyapanahalli, when the train is climbing or descending the ramp, you can hear the same knocking noise intermittently, along with the squealing. The noise could be a different based on surface temperature too.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 20th May 2020 at 10:40.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 17:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

WAG12 in Operation at Deen Dayal Upadhay Jn

RM Motorsports is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 18:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Just a naive question, why are there 2 different sets per engine? Is it for power distribution over an extended length?

Hypothetically, won’t the wheel start spinning instead of pulling in some conditions especially if there is too much power and less number of wheels?

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th May 2020 at 18:05.
Old 20th May 2020, 19:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Just a naive question, why are there 2 different sets per engine? Is it for power distribution over an extended length?
Hypothetically, won’t the wheel start spinning instead of pulling in some conditions especially if there is too much power and less number of wheels?
For first part of the post, I asked my ALP (Assistant Loco Pilot) friend. In his view, currently our engines can have Co-Co arrangement (3 axles in 1 bogie; and 2 bogies in a wagon). With this the size of locomotive would be limited with the primary traction equipment as well as auxiliary devices. Another thought would be if it's too long, it might have issue negotiating curves.

The second part, I'm not sure on this, but are you referring to wheel slip? Normally that happens if the load on the locomotive is too high that it is unable to pull it and wheels start spinning at the same position. To recover from this, locomotives have sand tanks around the wheels which shoots out some sand on the track in effort to get back traction.
chiro3110 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 19:21   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
WAG12 in Operation at Deen Dayal Upadhay Jn
Both these videos are from the factory line to the mainline at Madhepura when the engines were being brought to the mainline.

The actual show is here with loco number 60027 hauling a 116 BOXN wagon rake.

DFCCI Tweet

Last edited by BoneCollector : 20th May 2020 at 19:22.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 19:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro3110 View Post
For first part of the post, I asked my ALP (Assistant Loco Pilot) friend. In his view, currently our engines can have Co-Co arrangement (3 axles in 1 bogie; and 2 bogies in a wagon). With this the size of locomotive would be limited with the primary traction equipment as well as auxiliary devices. Another thought would be if it's too long, it might have issue negotiating curves.

The second part, I'm not sure on this, but are you referring to wheel slip? Normally that happens if the load on the locomotive is too high that it is unable to pull it and wheels start spinning at the same position. To recover from this, locomotives have sand tanks around the wheels which shoots out some sand on the track in effort to get back traction.
What's a bogie and what's a frame?

I thought a frame is a set of co-located axles.

And bogie is like a coach; so the WAG12 series has 2 bogies.

Right?

When you say Co-Co, that's 3 axles (independently powered) per frame? Or per bogie?

From the below link, I thought it was per frame:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-me...de6&srid=p83NZ
Old 20th May 2020, 19:38   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What's a bogie and what's a frame?

I thought a frame is a set of co-located axles.

And bogie is like a coach; so the WAG12 series has 2 bogies.
No, bogie is not a coach but the wheelset of a coach. The LHB coaches run on FIAT bogies.

Quote:
When you say Co-Co, that's 3 axles (independently powered) per frame? Or per bogie?
You can find all such details from the Encyclopedia of Indian Railways at IRFCA.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 19:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
No, bogie is not a coach but the wheelset of a coach. The LHB coaches run on FIAT bogies.

You can find all such details from the Encyclopedia of Indian Railways at IRFCA.
Thanks. Question:
When we say ‘1-Co-Co-1’ (taking an example from that IRFCA link), how do we know whether it represents a loco with:
- Two bogies each having three powered axles and one unpowered axle, or
- Four bogies with the inner two bogies having three powered axles each and the outer two bogies having one unpowered axle each?
Old 20th May 2020, 20:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Question:
When we say ‘1-Co-Co-1’ (taking an example from that IRFCA link), how do we know whether it represents a loco with:
- Two bogies each having three powered axles and one unpowered axle, or
- Four bogies with the inner two bogies having three powered axles each and the outer two bogies having one unpowered axle each?
Well, I'm not that well versed with this but will try to answer your question. But before that we must understand what B and C signify. B bogie is a 4 wheeled wheel set and C is a 6 wheeled wheel set.

1-Co Co-1 means that there are 2 bogies with 4 wheel pairs in that each bogie where the first one is not powered but other 3 are powered in one wheel set. If it was what you're mentioning in 2nd point, it wouldn't have been written as 1-Co Co-1 but maybe as 1-Bo Co Co Bo-1 . I'm not sure about this though. Someone knowledgeable may clarify. You can read further here.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 04:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Is it for power distribution over an extended length?
Yes. A single unit configuration will only lead to excess wheel slip. It is also important to keep weight in check over each axle, else you are going to cause damage to the tracks.

Power distribution is micro processor controlled with various sensors monitoring wheel speed and power across each axle. A certain amount of wheel slip will be permitted in combination with sanding for better traction.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 20:50   #27
BHPian

Footplating inside WAG 12B. Looks very recent as both pilots are wearing masks. Seems to be fully air conditioned cabin.

vikasshu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 21:40   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The question mark in the title was valid when this thread was initiated by D-BHPian BoneCollector. However the passage of time and the successful introduction of the WAG12 indicates we need to modify the title of the thread to "Indian Railway's most powerful locomotive - WAG12" to reflect the current time and status. Thank you to all for posting these lovely videos of this handsome locomotive.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 15:06   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian Railway's most powerful locomotive, the WAG12

Another video of WAG12 doing mainline duties.

Source - Railfan Tushar on YouTube.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 19:21   #30
BHPian

Re: Indian Railway's most powerful locomotive, the WAG12

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...h-5964331.html

Alstom WAG12 officially certified to run at top speed of 120kmph/75mph!
This is a big leap for freight movement on Indian Railways although I am sure such speeds would only be allowed on the western dedicated freight corridor and eastern dedicated freight corridors.Moreover most of our wagons, tankers and even tracks are still rated at much lower speeds so it will take a few more years to see High speed freight movement on our tracks.Nevertheless it is a great achievement considering much of our ancient Non-AC ICF passenger rakes are only capable of 110kmph.
ArjunPadmakumar is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks