Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2019, 18:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata and Ashok Leyland planning 3 axle buses

I had an inking that both Ashok Leyland and Tata are having plans for 3 Axle buses.
The Leyland bus has been caught testing https://coachbuildersindia.blogspot....caught_90.html
The Tata chassis with rear mounted 380 Hp engine and tri axle arrangement is labeled as Tata Paridiso 2138, and will be sold as a FBU only through Markopolo.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 19:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata and Ashok Leyland planning 3 axle buses

Even I have been wondering for some time why Tata and AL is getting left out of the multiaxle bus game. With the advent of sleeper buses , leyland 12m sleeper is now preferred even over the volvo B9R or 11R semi sleeper buses. I have seen only a couple of multiaxle volvo and scania sleeper buses. The reason I believe is because very few wants to take a chance with the costly volvos and scanias converting them to sleeper configuration. If Tata and AL enters the game, I am sure we will see a lot more innovation from body manufacturers in the multi axle segment.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 20:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Even I have been wondering for some time why Tata and AL is getting left out of the multiaxle bus game.
Neither Tata nor AL have been successful with their rear engined buses. This could explain the late entry into this segment, though they should have done it earlier. A good 3-axle Rear-engine bus could have offered an alternative to the Volvo's and the like.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 20:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I had an inking that both Ashok Leyland and Tata are having plans for 3 Axle buses.
The Leyland bus has been caught testing https://coachbuildersindia.blogspot....caught_90.html
Rahul
Something about the AL multiaxle bus looks disproportioned. Wheels too small? Rear overhang too large? Dunno what, can't put my finger on it.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 23:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Something about the AL multiaxle bus looks disproportioned. Wheels too small? Rear overhang too large? Dunno what, can't put my finger on it.
The rear overhang is huge. I already dislike the 12M sleepers with their extended overhang. And I was hearing creaking noises the last time I was in one of the last berths although it could be down to the body building not being up to mark.

They should concentrate on sleeper coaches instead and not concede the space to Bharat Benz. Maybe bring more safety features in the existing models like ESC and more powerful engines.
SchumiFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 09:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata and Ashok Leyland planning 3 axle buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
The rear overhang is huge. I already dislike the 12M sleepers with their extended overhang. And I was hearing creaking noises the last time I was in one of the last berths although it could be down to the body building not being up to mark.

They should concentrate on sleeper coaches instead and not concede the space to Bharat Benz. Maybe bring more safety features in the existing models like ESC and more powerful engines.
The Leyland Multi-axle is a front engine coach, while the Tata one is a rear-engine coach. Leyland one could be a rear game-changer, since a multi-axle coach would mean having more berths, and sleeper buses are 'the' requirement off late for passengers.
binaiks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 14:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The Leyland Multi-axle is a front engine coach, while the Tata one is a rear-engine coach. Leyland one could be a rear game-changer, since a multi-axle coach would mean having more berths, and sleeper buses are 'the' requirement off late for passengers.
I assume you meant real game-changer.

IMO, an FE-MUX is better suited for sleeper application - front engine set up will help with a quieter cabin and maybe a larger and spread out cargo hold.

There are also rumous about an AL RE-MUX in the works, but will it have any takers is to be seen. If Daimler had seen an opportunity, they would've already come up with a Bharat Benz RE coach. TML had burnt their fingers with the Divo, twice. The Paradiso G7 coach built on LPO2138RE chassis has been perpetually under tests. The BS-VI norms combined with the AIS-052 rules might favour these coaches, but that remains to be seen.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 14:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I assume you meant real game-changer.

IMO, an FE-MUX is better suited for sleeper application - front engine set up will help with a quieter cabin and maybe a larger and spread out cargo hold.

There are also rumous about an AL RE-MUX in the works, but will it have any takers is to be seen. If Daimler had seen an opportunity, they would've already come up with a Bharat Benz RE coach. TML had burnt their fingers with the Divo, twice. The Paradiso G7 coach built on LPO2138RE chassis has been perpetually under tests. The BS-VI norms combined with the AIS-052 rules might favour these coaches, but that remains to be seen.
Yes. I did mean 'real' game changer. Apologies for the goof-up.

Daimler never sensed any opportunity in the market. They came with one line-up of premium buses with body by Sutlej. Lost the game due to their poor after sales support. Then moved the entire portfolio to DICV, which showed positive signs of revival. They came up with their own body plant in Chennai (in association with Wrightbus) - this was again a disaster with the body quality being poor and issues with After sales support again. They dumped this product and came up with the 2441, this time with automatic transmission and a few more bells and whistles. The product fell flat again. They tried selling the chassis and allowing custom built bodies - Veera and MG built on the chassis - sales has not been promising either. BharatBenz sold quite well - still sells well, but they still have a lot of catching up to do.

FE Multi-Axle is a good segment, especially since passengers have taken a liking for sleepers off late. Operators already build 36 berth buses on 12M chassis by extending the chassis - a MUX Chassis must be able to accommodate at least 40 berths in order to appease the audience.
binaiks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 18:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
FE Multi-Axle is a good segment, especially since passengers have taken a liking for sleepers off late. Operators already build 36 berth buses on 12M chassis by extending the chassis - a MUX Chassis must be able to accommodate at least 40 berths in order to appease the audience.
Maximum length allowed for 2 axles is 12 M, and minimum birth length allowed is 1.9 M(6'3"), but body builders keep slightly more. They utilize the full permissible 12M, leaving 1.8M for drivers cabin, and 0.2M after last berth and divide balance about 10 M between 5 berths.
Now for Multi axle the permissible length will is 15M, now every operator will thing of 7 rows of berths. Now minimum permissible length of 1.9 X 7 =13.3 M.
Assuming the thinnest board 6m and Formica comes to 7 mm, partitions will consume 56mm, some clearance in the rear means passenger cabin will consume 13.5 mm, and driver will have to make do with 1.5M.
This is slightly more than in city buses 1.2 M

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 19:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Maximum length allowed for 2 axles is 12 M, and minimum birth length allowed is 1.9 M(6'3"), but body builders keep slightly more. They utilize the full permissible 12M, leaving 1.8M for drivers cabin, and 0.2M after last berth and divide balance about 10 M between 5 berths.
Now for Multi axle the permissible length will is 15M, now every operator will thing of 7 rows of berths. Now minimum permissible length of 1.9 X 7 =13.3 M.
Assuming the thinnest board 6m and Formica comes to 7 mm, partitions will consume 56mm, some clearance in the rear means passenger cabin will consume 13.5 mm, and driver will have to make do with 1.5M.
This is slightly more than in city buses 1.2 M
Slightly more? I traveled by an AIS compliant bus a few days ago - I am only 5'7", and still the berth was not long enough for me - I was hitting both the ends. So body builders are providing much shorter berths. Although the maximum length is legally only 12m, there are a lot of 13 metre long buses operating with sleeper configuration - some even with seat+sleep layout.

With a 15 multiaxle, the operators would easily fit in 42 berths, and would make a lot of sense for them.
Old 21st November 2019, 07:00   #11
BHPian

BTW, whats the deal with Tata's Divo and Paradiso buses? The news about them came so many years ago. Still we don't see a single one on the roads. What exactly is the problem?

I wonder why Tata isn't able to come out with good products in the truck/bus segment.

Most Viewed