Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 09:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Boeing 777X: World’s largest twin-engine jet completes first flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I wonder why for a heavier 777X they installed the 105,000 lbf version instead of the 115,300 lbf version already in use on the -200LR and others.
Probably because airline 'cargo' is never in a hurry to reach its destination
ds.raikkonen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 15:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
Passenger 777 demand may not be much in the future, but Cargo/Freighter application should definitely grow with growing e-Commerce around the globe.
Most of the cargo airlines around the world prefer BCF's (Boeing Converted Freighter) or CF's (Converted Freighter) instead of new, off the shelf freighters like the 777F. The main reason being the much lower capital expenditure. These can be acquired for a fraction of the cost of a new freighter. And 777X is not offered as a freighter, as of now, off the shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnK View Post
Absolutely! Cracker of an engine consisting of a 3D printed fuel nozzle, and close to 300 3D printed parts making it more light weight and fuel efficient.
Irony is that issues with the same GE9X development was one of the primary reasons for the delayed first flight. [Read]
Article.
Quote:
The Boeing 777X was supposed to have its first flight in 2019 with deliveries to begin in summer 2020, but deliveries are now seen starting in 2021. The next-generation 777 has been beset by delays, including problems with the General Electric (GE) GE9X engines. An explosion also blew out the doors of the jet during a key load test in September.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
That is already 60 over the total number of Airbus 380 produced.
Still, I doubt very much Boeing would be making a good return on their investments on only 309 orders. They will need to convince customers that this plane is suitable for them.
But there are similarities between the A380 and 777X's order backlog, the most important being the the largest customer. Boeing fan boys used to bring it out more often and now I think the same will be used Airbus fanboys. Half or more of the order backlog is from a single airline and fortunately or unfortunately, it's the same carrier in both the case. Will have to wait and watch how this will turn out for the 777X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I wonder why for a heavier 777X they installed the 105,000 lbf version instead of the 115,300 lbf version already in use on the -200LR and others.
I think this has to do with the aerodynamic improvements that are made to the newer airframes. For most of the newer aircraft, I see that the thrust requirements are lower than what we usually expect, for their mission profile.
A350XWB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 12:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Boeing 777X further delayed till late 2023. Boeing report that the 777X program has also recorded a $6.5 billion reach-forward loss.

Quote:
Boeing said it now expects the 777X, a larger version of the 777 mini-jumbo, to enter service by late 2023, three years later than initially planned, with a longer and costlier certification process after scrutiny over the 737 MAX.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN29W1EY

Most Viewed