Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 22:11   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Air India One : The new official airplane of India's leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
But do the leaders of these countries think of presidential transport in terms of national pride?

If you have no part of it except paying for it, don't bring patriotism/ nationalism/ jingoism into it.
In all honesty, I have very little or no patience with most types of nationalism. It is utterly beyond me why a plane or a sport team should evoke any feeling of nationalism. What makes a nation is not about these very materialistic or few (sports) people. My opinion of course.

I would think there are certainly leaders out there who think about it in terms of national pride. There are certainly certain nationalism type of feelings around these things.

It is impossible for the French Government officials to drive anything but a Citroen. Same in the UK, it must be British car, e.g. Jaguar, Land Rover etc. There would be a public outcry if they bought a sensible Japanese, or a Tesla!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 09:30   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In all honesty, I have very little or no patience with most types of nationalism. It is utterly beyond me why a plane or a sport team should evoke any feeling of nationalism. What makes a nation is not about these very materialistic or few (sports) people. My opinion of course.

I would think there are certainly leaders out there who think about it in terms of national pride. There are certainly certain nationalism type of feelings around these things.

It is impossible for the French Government officials to drive anything but a Citroen. Same in the UK, it must be British car, e.g. Jaguar, Land Rover etc. There would be a public outcry if they bought a sensible Japanese, or a Tesla!

Jeroen
Well, Jaguar Land Rover is now owned by Tata Motors, so may be reverse colonialism at play here may be !!
Old 7th June 2020, 10:09   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is impossible for the French Government officials to drive anything but a Citroen. Same in the UK, it must be British car, e.g. Jaguar, Land Rover etc.
Notwithstanding the fact that there has not been a British owned car manufacturer (except Reliant) in ages, and global supply chains blurring national identities, these vehicles are seen/ perceived to be products of that country, and the names have an associated heritage/ history/ legacy which cannot be denied.

Quote:
There would be a public outcry if they bought a sensible Japanese, or a Tesla!
In this case the users don't have to worry about upkeep and running costs!

For the higher profile British taxpayer paid rides, I think it is/ was Daimler and Rover. Ajmat can chip in.

Sutripta
Old 7th June 2020, 10:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:

Jeroen
This is something I've heard about individual German states as well! For example in Bavaria, the officials apparently always go for BMWs since BMWs are made in Munich. However, the argument can also be made that instead of regionalism/nationalism, the officials just want to be seen as supporting the local industry and local jobs.
dragracer567 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 11:11   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Notwithstanding the fact that there has not been a British owned car manufacturer (except Reliant) in ages
Her majesty, with her keen interested in rural UK, could always start driving a JCB of course. To date, not just British owned, but owned by a British family.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 12:23   #81
Senior - BHPian

^^^
And The Heir could use it to tear down the monstrous carbuncles on the face of a much loved and elegant friends.

Now about Dyson's electric car ...

Sutripta

We are going seriously OT. Wishing the mods good luck in finding a home for these posts!

Last edited by Sutripta : 7th June 2020 at 12:26.
Old 8th June 2020, 10:29   #82
BHPian

Personally, I like the livery on this 77W. It does not have the 'Maharaja' connection with the livery on the AI fleet and projects a clean, transparent head of government image underscored with double lines.

Additionally, PM/Presidents are increasingly being looked at the CEOs of their nations and they have to invest on the image and brand building of their 'firm'. Look at it this way, countries are now having their tag lines just like MNCs.

Lastly, getting an existing aircraft out of rotation, converting it for VIP flight, inconvenience to passenger with the change in equipment - all that will be history. Yes, I would have thought the B787 with it's quieter ride, a much better in flight atmosphere, fuel economy would have been an appropriate choice but It's probably availability and economics that would have played into this decision.
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 18:19   #83
Team-BHP Support

VT-ALV also makes an appearance on Airliners.net Link.

Quote:
"Boeing Victor Tango Alpha Lima Victor, Alliance Tower, runway one six left, cleared touch and go" Test flight after VIP cabin fitting at GDC Technics to join VT-ALW as India's designated Presidential aircraft.
Air India One : The new official airplane of India's leaders-vtalv.jpg
moralfibre is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 23:03   #84
BHPian

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53082294
On the erstwhile topic of optics, the UK govt is rightly copping flak for a £900k repainting job on their executive airlift Airbus. Just goes to show that now more than ever could be a bad time to really make big waves with projects like this. For India's case the best move would be to integrate it as quietly as possible and save any grand christening ceremonies or whatnot, if not scrap them. Highly doubt it'll be seeing service any time this year.

Interestingly the plan is to repaint it to better reflect the colours of the union jack. I liked the understated grey of the RAF scheme, sure it's ostensibly a combat scheme but highlights the multi use platform. But I do understand folks wanting a separation from militaristic symbolism on a vessel ferrying their civilian govt. On that note, a reason I prefer the art deco scheme of Air Force One because it isn't glaringly obvious as a flying flag in the sky. If India went with a more involved design, I'd rather they went with something like that. Maybe it's just my natural disinclination towards over the top flag displays, they come across as a bit tacky.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 19:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

This is how elegant the livery of the UK PM's new aircraft - an A330 looks. It carries a Royal Air Force Z series serial no.

Air India One : The new official airplane of India's leaders-1593092853607.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 25th June 2020 at 19:27.
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 21:10   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
This is how elegant the livery of the UK PM's new aircraft - an A330 looks. It carries a Royal Air Force Z series serial no.

Attachment 2020982
Sweet, wasn't aware there was a photo of the new paint scheme in the wild already. I suppose it isn't too bad, certainly went for it with the stylised union jack flag for the tail fin. For some reason I get echoes of Virgin Atlantic about it. Anyway, I can spy the RAF roundel near the first door on the port side. How'd you make out the

I wonder if the A330 will be used less in its MRTT guise for tanker and other transport now. Can't imagine such a conspicuous livery being ideal for those roles.
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 22:06   #87
BHPian

Oh, turns out I was late to the party. There's clear video of the new scheme.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-air-force-one

I found an interesting throwaway line -
Quote:
"..it's also unclear if the price of repainting the aircraft is already covered in the terms of the U.K. Ministry of Defense's existing deal with AirTanker, a European consortium that includes Airbus. That firm leases nine Voyagers to the RAF, including ZZ336."
Looks like the jet is leased. I found it interesting because I came across this video this morning about South Korea leasing a new jet for their own Presidential aircraft

Turns out their existing Jumbo was on a 5 year lease for $114.5 million (for a 747-400). New one is going to be a 5 year lease for 747-8 @ $242.3 million (nearly double the previous).

I found this interesting. I wonder how many other executive airlift aircraft are on leases. Is the Indian one going to be leased by the IAF with Air India being the lessor? If it counts under the defence budget, would it then qualify under the terms of the new DPP which has a provision for lease of assets such as transport aircraft? That would sure be a high profile way of ushering in that part of the new plan.
ads11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 22:16   #88
BHPian

How does the PM/President get around within the country especially to Tier2 cities which might not have a runway for a 777 to land? Do they use and IAF craft for such trips?

I would be very interested in seeing the interiors of these 777 planes.
Old 25th June 2020, 23:07   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
Oh, turns out I was late to the party. There's clear video of the new scheme.
It is interesting to see that the plane still has its refueling pods pointing to its tanker roots
dragracer567 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 03:58   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
It is interesting to see that the plane still has its refueling pods pointing to its tanker roots
It's a multi role tanker transport. The expectation is that it will still continue in it's roles as an aerial refuelling aircraft and also as part of the logistical airlift fleet, both executive and otherwise so unsurprising it still has those pods. The question though that remains is post this snazzy paint job, just how much will it end up being used in those other roles. Considering the high level of scrutiny from the opposition, press and public, outside observers like us will undoubtedly find out just how much this Voyager ends up wearing all 3 of its hats

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks